Home

With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games?

This is a discussion on With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in Sports Video Games? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:40 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 8
I haven't put in serious time into a console sports game in a couple of years now (despite buying the latest madden and MLB the Show and NBA 2K17 - i've skipped 2K18). The reason is that I find FAR more enjoyment out of two other games: OOTP, Draft Day Sports College Basketball and Football Manager (soccer).
In addition, the last great NFL game I played was NFL Head Coach 09.

I know what type of gamer I am, and it's the type that loves coach mode and franchise. As both those options seem to find themselves less and less part of the big name console sports games every year, I'll continue to give my hard earned money to the sports management sim developers, who continue to fly the flag of true franchise gamers.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 13
And this is why I firmly believe sports gaming is in the dark days.* As with many of the above posters, I have no interest in card collecting games (or online gaming).* The state of sports games being stale (largely due to stagnant franchise features) has made my purchasing of games no longer an annual event.* Heck, even going every other year has been a waste of money.* Sadly, it does appear the end of gaming (for me) is near.* Though I prefer some arcade aspect to my games, I may have to switch entirely to text sims, since those are the only games that seem to care about franchise features.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

And, this is why we have to support the independent developers who try to create franchise mode in games, like Axis Football. https://twitter.com/axisfootball?lang=en If developers see a market, the odds of there being a game go up!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: With the Success of Ultimate Team Modes, What is the Future of Franchise Modes in

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
And this is why I firmly believe sports gaming is in the dark days.*
Agreed. For me, the pinnacle was the 2003-2005 time frame. Online hadn't blown up yet, and more importantly it was before exclusive licenses. So many choices. The good ole days.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #21
Pro

spoofrice11's Arena

OVR: 3
Franchise Modes are pretty much all I play in Sports games. If they go, then I will too. I love creating teams, prospects, developing them and building a team up. And you can change it all by trading players for you guys or whatever if you get tired of your team.

I do not get the appeal of Hut and MyPlayer. I have tried them out a little, but it was more of a play a little until I start my Franchise, doing the Domination mode in NBA 2K. I don't really enjoy playing online, especially since most people will just try to find a play or cheap way to do things that there is no way to stop. Also, they get boring after your player gets high or until you get a team of players like: Durant, Wall, Porzingis, etc...
And then there is the money. I don't get why people would buy a game, then waste a bunch more so it is more playable. I feel spending $60 on a game is plenty and with other games don't want to throw more money at something. If it's not good without the money, it doesn't seem like it'd be worth getting to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM   #22
Rookie

The Senator's Arena

OVR: 0

I despise Ultimate Team modes. If I want to build a dream team, I'll edit a roster. Heavily customizable franchise modes are the best sports gaming experiences for me. No micro transaction garbage, play at your own pace, with your own rules, and contemplate every what-if scenario that you can think of.

I understand that the younger generations in general couldn't care less about an in depth single player experience, and that the collectible card games are where the money generation is at, but for me, they're less than worthless to my gaming experience, unless they're funding more legends on the roster(that I can use in my modes), more work on the franchise mode, and more work on perfecting gameplay.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 AM   #23
Rookie

Without a deep Franchise Mode, I would have no reason to play sports games anymore. I don’t play online at all. Although I think $60 every year is a lot already, the extra revenue available online will eventually phase out franchise modes. Unless they make us spend money in the Mode. What’s it going to eventually cost to play a game and use all its features? Hundreds?
Old 01-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #24
Banned

mhayden614's Arena

Without a Franchise mode I wouldn't buy sports games. MyTeam modes don't interest me in the slightest. I've dabbled with them to try them but they're a waste of time in my opinion. The only modes I play when it comes to sports games are Franchise modes. I guess according to this article i'm in the minority but then I read the comments and everyone seems to share my sentiments.*

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »