Home

How 2K Can Expand Its Lineup of Games

This is a discussion on How 2K Can Expand Its Lineup of Games within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 9
2k,EA, the NFL and MLB need to have a SIT DOWN....

This exclusive crap is ruining videogames

There is NO REASON that the NFL and MLB cannot make MORE MONEY by selling the right to EA, 2k, and SONY every year if these companies so desire.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #42
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: How 2K Can Expand Its Lineup of Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringking
2k,EA, the NFL and MLB need to have a SIT DOWN....

This exclusive crap is ruining videogames

There is NO REASON that the NFL and MLB cannot make MORE MONEY by selling the right to EA, 2k, and SONY every year if these companies so desire.
I wish this would happen so much....sadly it will never be.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
I think EA/2K are paying more for the NFL/MLB licenses than the respective leagues could make from offering them to multiple licensees so I'd guess in part that's why the situation exists. Same with the college basketball; I'm they raised their licensing fees because they knew there was a company out there willing to pay as much as they were asking.

As far as 2K expanding it's lineup, I think the following are viable (as long as it's VC developing) :

Links/Golf game: I didn't play the XBox version but I hear it was pretty good. Think there's a market for it since the only other golf game is Tiger Woods (that I know of) and from my understanding it hasn't stood out much so far several years into next gen. Because it hasn't, the window for a 2K golf game might be pretty wide.

All Pro Football: Since Madden/NCAA still haven't distinguished themselves next gen, APF is still viable imo. I still don't think the hardcore-endorsed fully customizable game some envision would be the route to go since the hardcore on the whole killed 2K8 before it could even get out of the box. I think 2K would need to make a game that appealed more to the mainstream, which imo would mean concentrating on expanding the single player experience, and tweaking what's already in place for online/multiplayer. Keep the legends since they're easily identifiable, except do what 2K does best to make the game unique - improve gameplay/blow out signature styles/improve presentation. Virtually representing Dan Marino/Barry Sanders/Gayle Sayers/etc. has a lot more appeal than people creating teams of 7ft tall linemen and naming them after their neighbors. Definitely give more control/customization options, but don't think a vanilla "Make a Football game" game will make it. There would never be some one "standard" that everyone would adapt to, as some think. The base game would need to be all it can be.

I think the window for another APF is so-so, because at some point the law of averages will catch up and Tiburon will finally start getting more right than wrong with their football games. I'd love to see another APF but not sure that it'd be worth pursuing for 2K.

Boxing: I think people are starved for a good boxing game. I think Fight Night R4 will be good and they seem to have a great lineup of boxers, but I'd wonder if the game will have any depth. FNR3 was extremely shallow, but it was made when EA seemed a lot less worried about giving people a quality experience. I'd expect FNR4 to be much better/much deeper, or at least it should be. The window for a 2K boxing game might be pretty narrow.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #44
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13
Give us a great All-Pro 2k10, fully customizable like said earlier. Tighten up the gameplay and presentation even more. Updated franchise from NFL2K5 and it will sale. Now me personally I loved All-Pro 2k8 and don't need a fully customizable football game but i know if they made one it wouldn't hurt my feelings and the mass would except it more. Work on this, make baseball and hockey better and when you do come out with other games more people would be willing to try them if the games you already have out are top notch. Have all games like they are your flagship game, Football when it was out and Basketball since then. NBA2K9 is a great game but all the little problems really hurt it and made more people complain than what was needed. Start out with the 4 "major" sports and work your way out from there.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #45
Rookie

4N63L's Arena

OVR: 2

A Football game with an editor like Pro Evolution Soccer saga. Where you can change logos, uniforms, names, stats and teams.

NFL License ??? I'll make my own NFL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 8
I would think if they wanted something that targeted the young demographic they would look into a UFC license.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 46
All Pro needs to have the ability to customize teams more, not just to Mimic NFL, but to do other stuff too. And have more abilities or just real ratings, and create like 50 teams. They need to make graphics better too in all the games. Baseball Legends would also be a good game, or College Baseball. They need new pitching though.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #48
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Explain. You think the NFL and MLB can just arbitrarily raise their licensing fees, and EA and 2K will agree without getting something out of it (ie, exclusivity)? Wrong. MLB gave EA the option to match what 2K was offering for exclusivity, and EA declined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »