Home

Where Will Sports Games Go in 2018?

This is a discussion on Where Will Sports Games Go in 2018? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Where Will Sports Games Go in 2018?

It didn’t take long for 2017 to mark itself as the year for story modes in...

Written By: Ben Vollmer

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
it would be wise for 2k to bring back the casual,default, arcade and sim settings.*** Based on the complexity and difficulty of the game, I do not understand why they would remove these settings.**

MLB THE SHOW needs a more vibrant presentation style.* I believe that their intentional* "lazy Sunday afternoon" presentation style* is keeping alot of casuals away, from making a* full yearly commitment to the game. **

In addition alot of these games need to better define and/or create distinct arcade and casual game-play.*** These companies need to provide an entry point for young gamers.***

Old 01-01-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 39
I'm hoping 2018 will bring a deep engaging boxing videogame with the depth of a text SIM and sports management game. The presentation of a 2K game and what EA can bring to the table*
Old 01-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
Nak Muay

pslieber's Arena

OVR: 5
Good points above. I'd* be keen to see some risk taking via non-licensed, well playing engines.* College sports, in particular, could benefit from this (via fictitious schools/individuals, DL rosters available). Ditto boxing. as stated. SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
Amen on more sim emphasis. I can't believe players don't naturally run any semblance of motion offense and/or intelligent switches in NBA titles. That dangling for days can elude a guy literally right in front of someone in NHL. Balls are passed on strings in FIFA. The Show doesn't naturally default to working counts as a gameplay requirement. There are so many exploits in sports games, it's incredulous. These are all arguably tied to the absence of robust sim engines.*
And while good games, have The Show, Madden, 2K, FIFA and NHL really done anything truly different in 3 years? I'm not giving Live and PES a free pass, but they have been more bold (noting their audiences significantly less).*

Old 01-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 9
Sports gaming has become stale, sterile, and boring.* The same few games come out each year, and they all look and feel almost exactly like the year before.* *
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Rookie

ToughJuice's Arena

OVR: 0
Gotta agree with MATTHEWK, besides some tweaks and pointless‘story modes’ what are we getting each year? I could pop in 2k16 and not tell
the difference. I got Madden 17 after years of not buying and almost nothing
had changed.
Stagnation and pay to win/micro transactions have killed themajor sport releases for me. **
Old 01-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #7
Rookie

Re: Where Will Sports Games Go in 2018?

Ya I agree most games have become stale and stagnant. These games need to differentiate players in each sport so they play like their real life like counterparts. If they did that I'm pretty sure you would see an influx of gamers.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
Rookie

creator2700's Arena

Still holding out hope we see a producer give a crap about franchise mode again

*Wishing for transparency from game devs since 2017*

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »