Home

Anybody tried or wanted to disconnect more?

This is a discussion on Anybody tried or wanted to disconnect more? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5
Anybody tried or wanted to disconnect more?

I just wanted to share a brief story about my current stage in life in May of 2019.

I've been self-employed the last two years and am a workaholic, something I've struggled with mightily. I've got computers, smartphones, tablets at my store and at home...always connected to work and life 24/7. The last two years of my life, a 12 hour workday was a SHORT day for me. Averaged roughly 15 hours/day at my gym (we're open 5 AM to 8 PM). Then thanks to technology, I'm able to work the short times I have at home too and out, if I ever go out.

Needless to say, this lifestyle really wore me down and I finally had enough. Not only did I hate how work was always everywhere I went, I hated how much time I wasted on my smartphone and iPad too. I wasn't addicted to my phone by any means, but thanks to the new iPhone screen time feature, it showed me just how much time I was wasting on things like Facebook and other social media. I was averaging like 34 minutes/day on Facebook, which granted was mostly spent when I was eating and on the toilet, but still...such a waste of time.

So I decided to take a drastic measure; I deleted all social media/sports/forums/games apps off my phone. And it helped a lot, but it wasn't enough because all my work stuff was still on there (and it has to be). So I decided to keep my iPhone as a work cell phone that stays at my store. I added another line to my Verizon account and I purchased a Kyocera flip phone (yes they still make those) to be my personal cell phone.

And it's honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made. It has no apps, the internet browser sucks; it's great for texting and making phone calls, just like I want it to. Now I won't lie, going back to T9 texting sucks and is much slower, but it actually just forces me to call people more and actually talk, which is good. The best part though? I have work/life balance again and I'm more present in the moment, no matter where I'm at. People of course look at me like I'm weird, one lady on an airplane even called me "retro". But I'd rather be weird than the new normal of a nation of zombies attached to their smartphones.

I know I'm not the only person who's had thoughts about going back to a flip phone (I googled for stories of people going back before I made the decision) and I just wanted to let anyone on here know if by chance you're part of that small percentage that's tired of constantly being connected to the internet 24/7, it is possible to use a flip phone and survive in 2019.

Technology advancements have been amazing and I've always been an early-adopter for technology, but I finally feel like it's just gone too far. We're constantly bombarded and barely have any privacy left. You won't get any of that on a flip phone and let me tell you, it feels really damn good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Anybody tried or wanted to disconnect more?

Disconnected from Facebook about 8-9 years ago, after just a few months. Saw back then it was a time waster. I'm a workaholic too but only when I'm actually at work. When I leave, I leave the that guy at work. You just cant bring that stuff home with you, even if you enjoy your work. And I do.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I make a point to try and be on my phone less when at home with the kids and stuff....it definitely invades our time.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 PM   #4

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I don't know if it'd be possible for me to competently "disconnect". At least during sports/regular tv season. In summer it's much easier cause not as much is going on.

In terms of facebook and that type of stuff, I've never used it much to begin with(I only signed up for sake of getting it/adding whoever knew me so people wouldn't be like "How do you not even have a Facebook? Do you have something against connecting with people?". Although having it and NOT using it still brings up the "Your facebook is so boring, you don't even use it" comments I get from time to time from people in person). Thankfully I never had(or plan on ever getting) Instagram,Snapchat or any of those types of things. Literally have 0 interest in that.

One time I did go on vacation for a few weeks and didn't have my laptop. Only had my tablet to use(which I didn't bother with as much), didn't even play console games either. Once I came back home, I realized just how little I actually needed any of those things. Not too long after that I for the most part gave up video games(I haven't bought a new video game in probably 4 years now).

There's times where "disconnecting" is great, but other times where it's still a great thing having technology around. Like if you're going on a trip, it's so helpful having something like Google Maps, not just to find out routes, but you can easily find out where literally anything is, whether it be a tourist attraction, or certain restaurant.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »