Home

Ideas About Great Places To Live

This is a discussion on Ideas About Great Places To Live within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30
Ideas About Great Places To Live

So, I'm graduating in this coming Spring and the girlfriend and I have recently discussing where is a good spot to live.

Here are some things that we are always discussing when it comes to an area:

- Racial diversity
- A fun area, with lots to do or fun things nearby
- Low crime rates
- Affordable (we're young)

We live in Jacksonville Florida now, and definitely do not plan on living here. Kind of funny now that I look at that little list I made as Jacksonville does not have any of those things...LOL

As of right now, Dallas is probably the highest on our list. But, I'd like to know of some other areas because we have people from all over the country on this site. And I'm sure many of you have experienced living in many different areas first hand.

Not only that, but I'm sure you can give some good information as to why some areas would be better than others, as I know many of you have probably done research in the past looking for a place to live. I'm also sure that some will be able to provide some links to some good websites that would help us on our search.

O, and you can even bring up some places outside of the states if you think there are some nice places to live in another country.

Thanks in advance fellas.

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 55
Re: Ideas About Great Places To Live

Other than the crime rate thing (which isn't really THAT bad) Cleveland is a pretty cool place to live... even if their sports teams suck!

I've been here 12 years now (moved here from Orlando right after high school for work) and I am extremely happy with my life.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

OVR: 24

The Dallas/Fort Worth area (by that I mean the suburbs) fits into 3 of those criteria pretty well. The only problem with this area might be the fun factor, but it is really cheap to live here, and the crime is really low (again, at least in the area I'm in).

I guess the only other place I'm qualified to speak for is Memphis, and I wouldn't recommend that area to anybody.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
So, I'm graduating in this coming Spring and the girlfriend and I have recently discussing where is a good spot to live.

Here are some things that we are always discussing when it comes to an area:

- Racial diversity
- A fun area, with lots to do or fun things nearby
- Low crime rates
- Affordable (we're young)

We live in Jacksonville Florida now, and definitely do not plan on living here. Kind of funny now that I look at that little list I made as Jacksonville does not have any of those things...LOL
If you don't think Jacksonville has any of those, then I don't think you will find a place to live in the US. Jacksonville is very affordable, low crime rates (unless you are living in the hood which is going to have high crime rates no matter where you live), plenty of sports teams, theme parks, etc within a short drive, plenty of stuff around town to do.

You are going to have to go to a large city, which is going to get rid of the affordable criteria, and to meet the affordable criteria, you might have to sacrifice your low crime rates. Also, I would go where ever you get a job until the economy turns around.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #5
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Tulsa is kinda like a smaller Dallas. It's actually a really nice place to live, really affordable compared to some of the other places you are looking at, and a pretty lively town.

There's stuff to do, but it kind of depends what your into. Not super racially diverse, but more than anywhere else in Oklahoma, I don't feel like people are really singled out by their race here, and crime is no problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Obey the Father!!!!

Eton Rifles's Arena

OVR: 25

never been but would Toronto or Vancouver fit into those categories?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 42

The tidewater region of VA fits your bill.

The VA beach to Williamsburg area has a diverse grouping of employment to housing choices as well.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
If you don't think Jacksonville has any of those, then I don't think you will find a place to live in the US. Jacksonville is very affordable, low crime rates (unless you are living in the hood which is going to have high crime rates no matter where you live), plenty of sports teams, theme parks, etc within a short drive, plenty of stuff around town to do.

You are going to have to go to a large city, which is going to get rid of the affordable criteria, and to meet the affordable criteria, you might have to sacrifice your low crime rates. Also, I would go where ever you get a job until the economy turns around.
- Diversity - Nope. Black and White. That's it. Not to mention that I've experienced some racism here. And that in school the separation between the races here is very obvious.

- Fun- Hell no. Boring as hell. The beaches look nasty and there are only so many clubs that aren't all that great. They only have a professional team as far as I'm aware of.

- Crime- Jacksonville was murder capital of Florida at one point. There are a lot of "bad areas" spread throughout every part of the city. It's like you have this decent area, and right around the corner is a bad area. I just would like being able to walk around and feel safe at night. Can't even go to the club without hearing about someone being shot or stabbed.

- Affordability - hit or miss.

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »