Home

Who is "too old to be playing video games"?

This is a discussion on Who is "too old to be playing video games"? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Who is "too old to be playing video games"?

I"ve been told that and I have to admit to feeling funny being over 50 and playing...but it's been my big escape from life's stressors the last few years. One of the few things that makes me forget the world is playing madden (or maybe LA Noire now).

Play at night after wife and kid goes to bed so I get 2-3 uninterupted hours. Wife thinks I've lost it. "YOu play too much" I hear. But I don't let it interfere with my responsibilities. It's literally the last thing I do before going to bed.

Anyone else in this boat???

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Who is "too old to be playing video games"?

moved to proper forum
Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
MVP

8's Arena

OVR: 21

Hogwash!!!! You can never be too old to play video games. It's just another form of entertainment. My wife works at a retirement/assisted living community and they have wii bowling nights....... yes I said hogwash....

RAVENS/ORIOLES
Old 06-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Pro

crob8822's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
I"ve been told that and I have to admit to feeling funny being over 50 and playing...but it's been my big escape from life's stressors the last few years. One of the few things that makes me forget the world is playing madden (or maybe LA Noire now).

Play at night after wife and kid goes to bed so I get 2-3 uninterupted hours. Wife thinks I've lost it. "YOu play too much" I hear. But I don't let it interfere with my responsibilities. It's literally the last thing I do before going to bed.

Anyone else in this boat???
I'm with you brother, with the stress of raising a family, video games are an escape from the everyday stresses of life, with move and kinect my family can enjoy this entertainment. My Wife is a master at Grand theft auto, who knew?
Old 06-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
MVP

bh446066's Arena

OVR: 26

No such thing. You can be a grown up and still play games. My best friend is a doctor and he and all his doctor friends are up playing shooters late into the night. It's an escape, no different than watching something on TV, playing cards, reading, whatever. Many of today's games are complex and require strategy/memory, so it's not even like it's a mindless activity. Like you said, as long as you're taking care of your resposibilities/relationships....who cares what you choose to do in your spare time?

MLB 21 The Show
College Hoops 2K8
Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
NHL 19
NCAA Football 14/11
NBA 2K16
Madden 20
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Never!!

My wife loves the fact that she knows where I'm at if I'm up late on a gaming session. If I'm not in bed, I'm in the family room pulling a late night gaming session. I think she'd take that over me going out any day of the week.

Plus now my kids are getting into it, it's a great father/son activity as well.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 06-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I think video gaming is quickly expanding across all age levels. Would I be wrong in suggesting that Nintendo gaming in the 80's was largely looked at as, well, playing a game and therefore often labeled as something children do? I believe as that era of children have grown, in combination with the growing technological advances and general gaming sophistication, the accepted age of gaming has exploded outward with likely no end in sight. I'm thinking my generation may be playing video games until we die.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

I wouldn't say there is any age that would be considered "too old" for video games. A friend of mine's grandpa plays Black Ops with our group occasionally. And I think he's nearing 70. My dad plays a PSP that he bought for himself, he's 48. My uncle plays video games occasionally as well and he's in his 60s. My computer science teacher last semester is a huge WoW fanatic, and he's in his 50s.

So I wouldn't say there's really an age limit where anyone could be considered "too old" to be playing video games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »