Home

Extreme couponing - I'm becoming one of "those people"

This is a discussion on Extreme couponing - I'm becoming one of "those people" within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 07-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #25
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: Extreme couponing - I'm becoming one of "those people"

My girlfriend is starting to get into this, but with her will and determination she'll likely give up soon.

I have yet to see the fruits of her labor, I see piles of coupons scattered around her personal room.

*Yep we both have our own rooms for personal time!*

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Why don't people donate all of the stuff that is more than they can use to a food pantry or other charitable organization? And why aren't those organizations using extreme couponing themselves? Or are they?

It just irritates me to watch that show and see a family sitting on a thousand boxes of cereal, 500 cans of soup and all of this other crap when there are hundreds of thousands of people in this country that don't have anything to eat at all.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
Why don't people donate all of the stuff that is more than they can use to a food pantry or other charitable organization?
Because those people are mentally unstable.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Why don't people donate all of the stuff that is more than they can use to a food pantry or other charitable organization? And why aren't those organizations using extreme couponing themselves? Or are they?

It just irritates me to watch that show and see a family sitting on a thousand boxes of cereal, 500 cans of soup and all of this other crap when there are hundreds of thousands of people in this country that don't have anything to eat at all.
You could make the same comments about people that are "well off", but don't share what they have.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #29
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I respectfully request we keep this thread about extreme couponing.

Thank you

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 07-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #30
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

I watched the show two or three times and saw a few different forms of donations. One couple worked for a church and donated most of what they bought...the other gave most of their excess to charity as well. Definitely not everyone, but I did see a few people with the right idea.

It bothers me too though when a family is sitting on 100 2-litre bottles of soda and 100 boxes of cereal...the shelf life on those things will expire way before they are ever consumed.

To me the point of coupons is to save on things that I was already going to buy (or a similar product). If I save $1.00 on a $2.00 item that I previously had not planned to buy or don't typically buy, then in reality I am not saving $1.00, I am spending an extra $1.00 than I would have had I not had the coupon.

Also, from the few times I've watched, it seems like these people load up on mostly unhealthy stuff when it comes to the products...it's always frozen pizzas, fruit rollups, hot pockets, soda, sugary cereal, etc. Sure you are saving money, but your kids are going to be huge in a few years.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
To me the point of coupons is to save on things that I was already going to buy (or a similar product). If I save $1.00 on a $2.00 item that I previously had not planned to buy or don't typically buy, then in reality I am not saving $1.00, I am spending an extra $1.00 than I would have had I not had the coupon.

Also, from the few times I've watched, it seems like these people load up on mostly unhealthy stuff when it comes to the products...it's always frozen pizzas, fruit rollups, hot pockets, soda, sugary cereal, etc. Sure you are saving money, but your kids are going to be huge in a few years.
Good points. I actually read a blog post on the healthiness of the food issue. It's true, there aren't a lot of coupons to be had out there for fresh meat, produce, etc. It's all candy, chips, soda, and the like.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Kings / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
XBox: MizzouRhino
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

This can't be life.