Home

What is the Best Major Airline in the US and why?

This is a discussion on What is the Best Major Airline in the US and why? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
View Poll Results: Regardless of cost, which is the best major airline in the USA?
Delta Airlines 6 24.00%
United Airlines 3 12.00%
American Airlines 1 4.00%
Southwest Airlines 15 60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What is the Best Major Airline in the US and why?

I've only ever flown Southwest and American. Haven't had a problem yet on Southwest, but my last two times with American we were stuck on the tarmac for 30+ minutes. AA did have reliable wi-fi though. I was able to keep up with the World Series a couple of years back. I flight from SW's main hub though so things might be better from there. Plus bags fly free. I was also a fan of being able to pick your seat once you got on the plane. It can be kind of a roulette, but if there are some good looking ladies on board it can work out. Especially on the way to Vegas.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20

Southwest, because that's all I've ever flown.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Delta but I really liked United since military gets 3 free bags along with dependents so me and my wife flew to Paris with 6 free bags on our honeymoon.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Heyoka.

EUBlink's Arena

OVR: 8
I fly Delta whenever possible, although really because it's the most convenient. We fly out of Birmingham to Atlanta, and then to our destination... and from what I understand, both Birmingham and Atlanta are hubs for Delta.

That said, I avoid American at all costs. Twice now, I've had overnight delays mid-trip because of their overbooking and faulty planes. Both times they provided lodging, but both times were a horrible inconvenience as one was during flight to an important training workshop with work, and the other was a family vacation to Hawai'i. Not to mention, it took three days to get my luggage after I was at my destination. Both times.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

dochalladay32's Arena

My ranking is...

1. Delta
2a. United
2b. Southwest

4. American

I have never flown American because their prices have always been outrageous. No matter where I've tried to go, Delta and United have always been well more affordable. I doubt they have anything to offer to some how make up for the huge price difference.

I've flown Delta/Northwest the most and never have had a problem. I only fly once, maybe twice a year, so fewer opportunities, but still.

I haven't used United in years, so it had nothing to do with Continental yet. But back then, similar to Northwest. A little more expensive, but I was able to get better flight times out of Akron's dinky airport and it was still affordable. Flight was fine. Only time I've ever checked baggage and it took forever, but as expected. But I've never flown Continental because their prices are ridiculous so I don't know if they'd still be 2a now.

Southwest is the one I've used the least and I will still use it because I can get direct flights that others don't offer. The prices are usually lower. They are flexible. But being crammed in with people from 2 to 200 doesn't appeal to me usually. I'm not against taking your babies on planes and all, but when there are a dozen kids on a plane, you keep them quiet... I've flown it the least and they have always been the loudest flights. So it's hard to rank them higher. Thankfully Frontier flies out of New Castle now so I can use Frontier to get to Denver, which is my most likely destination these days. May be a bit more expensive, but I'll take it.

Edit: Just doing a quick check on Kayak to see prices to compare, I went back and did my old flight from Akron to Memphis for Thanksgiving since I don't know the trends out of Philly as well. Delta was $326, United $409, USA (related to American now) $582. If I switch to Cleveland, Delta $480, USA $527, United $548, American $726. Memphis just now is getting access to Southwest flights through Airtran, so if you went with the cheapest routes possible, you could do it for $246.

So what I thought still holds true there. American is ridiculously overpriced.

Last edited by dochalladay32; 07-05-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I've never really had any problems with Delta. Had a bad experience with United the last time I flew with them, and their customer service was awful.

Honestly though, they're all about the same to me.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
Honestly though, they're all about the same to me.
Agreed!

I've taking about a half dozen airplane (round) trips per year for the past decade plus and:

1) SWA has the best prices / policies / rewards / coupons / direct flight options, but it's still more like taking an "air bus" than an airline...

2) JetBlue has TVs and...well..that's about all they do right...

3) The rest of the US "Majors" are (IMHO) all pretty equal, in that they are relatively pricey for spotty service (at best)...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Agreed!

I've taking about a half dozen airplane (round) trips per year for the past decade plus and:

1) SWA has the best prices / policies / rewards / coupons / direct flight options, but it's still more like taking an "air bus" than an airline...

2) JetBlue has TVs and...well..that's about all they do right...

3) The rest of the US "Majors" are (IMHO) all pretty equal, in that they are relatively pricey for spotty service (at best)...
jetblue also has delicious bags if blue potato chips...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »