Home

CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

This is a discussion on CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #3409
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

When have things not been political?

Old 07-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #3410
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

About schools reopening...

So this is my own theory. Feel free to counter...

Before I start I just would like for y'all's to know I have my degree in Health Science. That's not to say that I know anymore than anyone. Just that I have studied the body more than your average conspirator Joe. I'm sure there are plenty of you much smarter that I. Lol...I have been following this thing since it started and am probably able to interpret data and come to conclusions better than someone that never needed to do that. As I had to look at and interpret data from studies (and even write my own) performed in the past and that **** could look completely foreign to someone unfamiliar with the "language".

Anywho...I think it could be relatively safe for schools to open up. Kids spreading it shouldnt be much of a concern based on what we know currently

The biggest thing is the information that came out that asymptomatic carriers are unlikely to spread the virus. Now that might sound incorrect because that's been the boogie man this entire pandemic. People who don't know they have it. But that's where I think we need better communication from our leadership and media outlets.

The thing is, there's a difference from a person being SICK vs just infected. Based on what I've read about this thing, asymptomatic people come in different forms and should not be talked about in the same terms.

There are truly asymptomatic people. These are people who are infected, but never truly display any symptoms the entire length of infection; they never get sick...then there are PRE-symptomatic people who are infected, but don't present any symptoms at present. But these people eventually will get SICK or display symptoms...then there are POST-symptomatic people who would be people who got infected, got sick/displayed symptoms, and are basically in "remission" with no symptoms present. It is unfortunate that it's not being explained in that matter. But anywho...

The people that appear to spread this thing are the PRE-symptomatic folks. Not the 100% asymptomatic or post symptomatic people. Think about it kind of like cancer. All of our bodies are essentially cancerous. Just for most of us, the mechanisms in place work and we never get "sick" with cancer. And then some of us get sick, and go into remission so that the cancer is still present but not dangerous.

Now the reason I believe that to be true is because these people (Post & A-symptomatic) would emit very little viral load...and the reason they have very little emission is because A) They didn't receive a big viral load themselves when infected, B) Their immune response was quick and effective not allowing the virus to proliferate, or C) Their immune system has already contained the virus and they are in "remission" (POST-symptomatic).

And from what we know, you can't just catch Covid any type of way. There are certain things that increase the likelihood of transmission. I was listening to NPR a couple days ago. And they had an expert on answering questions. One thing that was asked was how easy is it to catch if you pass somebody that has it not wearing a mask. The expert said that transmission was very unlikely. That a person could have Covid be running and breathing heavily right in our personal space (less than 4 feet) with no mask and the likelihood of transmission is extremely low.

That's because we know there are three main factors that lead to transmission. If you've looked at what contact tracing is you would know some of these as well...Viral load, distance/environment and length of exposure. Without those three factors present, it makes risk of transmission much lower.

So with all that out of the way...kids and schools ...

As we have all learned, kids are almost all asymptomatic carriers. One of the main reasons presented is because the cells that Covid invade and take over arent developed enough in kids so the virus can't replicate as well. So they never get sick. And based on what I just went through and explained, that would put them in the truly asymptomatic category, which are people that are highly unlikely to spread to someone else because they don't give emit much of a viral load.

Viral load is a key thing. The simplest way to think of it is like our healthcare system. It is perfectly capable of handling a few cases. But when it's overwhelmed with more cases that it can handle that leads to problems and more people dying. Similarly, our immune system is perfectly capable of handling a smaller viral load and we won't get sick. It's when our immune system is introduced to a large viral load (amount of virus) that makes it hard for our body to fight off leading to illness because it is overwhelmed and has more of the virus to deal with.

That's why we see such a wide array of responses to infection. One, because yes, everyones body will react differently. But also two, because the viral load or amount of virus that a person was infected by is going to be different for each person infected. There's a dose response to infection.

So back to the kids in school. They are unlikely to be passing it to each other because they won't be emitting enough of the virus to get other kids sick...now if teachers/staff are keeping a safe distance from students, they should be knocking out the second thing which was proximity for an added level of protection. And lastly you have exposure time, which seems to be about 10-12 minutes or longer to an infected person. This one usually runs hand in hand with proximity. So that time frame for contact is being within 6 feet or so of someone for an extended period of time.

So provided teachers/staff aren't sitting down and having lengthy conversations with a sick student, it would be reasonable to assume that kids aren't the vessels we should be concerned with.

And the data in other countries seems to support that so far (that I've seen anyway). Schools have opened and there's been no spike in cases.

If there's any concern, it should be between the staff themselves. Mingling indoors between teachers and other staff would be more of a risk than getting it from their kids. That and if some of the staff are the "type" that post conspiracy memes or believe masks = bondage. That would be my primary concern with schools reopening lol

But again all this is just my own brain working. I could be totally wrong

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 07-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #3411
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Tmagic;

Interesting all that you noted.

I was watching Milwaukee County's response to the uptick in cases and one of the things they noticed was a slight uptick in kids from daycare around the area.

They mentioned they would like to get measures and guidelines squared away before school opens in the fall.

Last edited by roadman; 07-09-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #3412
Banned

OVR: 0

The problem schools face is that when contact tracing is done, schools are going to find themselves of just not deciding whether to shut down, but how much information they can, should, and will share about positive cases in students and their families.

You will have schools sending entire classes out for two weeks at a time to quarantine. One parent going to a bar can send dozens of others home at a moment’s notice.

And schools are going to need extra staff for just handling contact tracing and contacting parents and staff.

Or they could blow all this stuff off and watch parental rage grow over a semester.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #3413
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

I thought it was still unknown if asymptomatic carriers spread the virus or not? I know WHO made a comment they rarely spread it but then backtracked their statement.

I did a quick google but I cannot find anything from a legit source saying asymptomatic carriers do not spread as often as others.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #3414

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic

But again all this is just my own brain working. I could be totally wrong
It all sounds about right to me. But anything that argues that we are fine to resume some sense of normalcy will be met with a ton of doubt and negativity. Even when we have a vaccine it'll be that way.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:21 PM   #3415
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Here you go, updated as of June 1st and studied from China:

https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavir...ith%20symptoms.

Based on the evidence from China, asymptomatic transmission may occur and has contributed to a limited amount of transmission of COVID-19 infections. People can shed the virus before they have symptoms, but this is generally less than individuals with symptoms. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “the potential for pre-symptomatic transmission underscores the importance of social distancing, including the avoidance of congregate settings, to reduce COVID-19 spread.”
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #3416
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

7000 children under 18 have tested positive for corona virus since March.

https://www.childrensmovementflorida...12-have-mis-c/

The link takes you to the Miami Herald which ask you to subscribe.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »