Home

Your story of meeting a sports figure

This is a discussion on Your story of meeting a sports figure within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
MVP

Scooter3's Arena

OVR: 15
Your story of meeting a sports figure

Met Tom Gorden waiting in line at a restaurant in Florida he saw my Boston Red Sox baseball hat asked if I was a Sox fan I said yes he said he pitched for the Red Sox. We hit it off.
He was a great guy. After we were seated he went out to his truck and came back to us and signed his autograph on his baseball card. Great memory.
Would love to hear your stories guys.Screenshot_20200901-103449_Lite.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Mark Twain:
" Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to."

U.S. Army Veteran
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
re: Your story of meeting a sports figure

Shawn Kemp had a steakhouse in Seattle for a bit. Can't say I met him as much as he was just gladhanding his customers. Very nice guy. Gigantic. Could truly fill a doorway.

Met Warren Moon after a Sonics game back in the day. Another really nice guy. Pretty sure he'd win a lot of drinking games. The man was putting them down.

Quite a few John Schneider and Jay Buhner sightings around town. Schneider and his family frequent a great Mexican restaurant about 5 minutes from Seahawk team HQ. I've always wanted to talk to him, being a Packers fan, and him being from Sconsin.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Your story of meeting a sports figure

Had to fix the title

Gary Anderson (Former Steelers kicker) once spoke at my elementary school I think he was supposed to stay and sign autographs for kids aftewards, but bailed.

Jose Guillen (Former MLB outfielder who started his career in Pittsburgh) once had an autograph signing session at Giant Eagle grocery store in my neighborhood and I got a baseball signed.

Also met and got autographs from a couple NASCAR drivers. My mom got tickets to the 2004 Sharpie 500 at Bristol as a college graduation present for me through her boss at the time who was the attorney for Chip Ganassi and as part of the ticket package, we got to sit in the Ganassi Racing hospitality tent pre-race and I got Casey Mears' autograph. Another time the hauler for the #12 ford of Penske Racing (then driven by Sam Hornisch Jr.) stopped in Pittsburgh and Hornisch was signing autographs.

My aunt and uncle lived next door to Kordell Stewart for a few years, though I never met him. My cousins who were little at the time did try to sell him a sno cone they made with their toy sno cone maker.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30

Last edited by BurghFan; 09-01-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I've met some Leafs players over the years at their practices. For most part they seemed like cool guys. Got to meet some alumni at autograph signings and they loved sharing stories. Sadly 2 of my most memorable Leaf interactions are guys who have now passed away.

Most of Raptors guys and staff I've met have been real chill too. Vince Carter is probably the only Raptor I've ever met that I had a bad experience with (in hindsight, it's almost telling too seeing what his "entourage" or agent was like too). I know the rumors were going around for a while, but I knew he was gone and checked out before that season happened, and had people in his ear too.

Never got to personally speak with any Jays players though. Maybe one day?

If you count it in this thread, I've met WWE people before too. Unfortunately in those autograph signings, they are real limited in time and obviously not much besides a conversation long enough to take a picture.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Fortunate enough to live close enough that I'd go to the Mets spring training facility as a kid. Have never really been a Mets fan, but hey it was baseball and autographs of MLB players are gold as a kid.

So I have my autograph book and me and my dad run into former Pirate Jermaine Allensworth who was with the Mets at the time. My dad, who was a big Pirate fan started trying to talk to him about the Pirates and etc. only to get a "Man, I really don't want to talk about the Pirates" and a look

Other than that, he was nice as could be and signed my book.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Last edited by LambertandHam; 09-01-2020 at 03:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
All Star

OVR: 8

Dale Murphy opened up a restaurant here a couple years ago, right by my office. Some coworkers and I went over for lunch during their soft opening. He sat down at our table for a few minutes. He mostly talked about how he decided to get into the restaurant business, but it was a cool experience.

My wife and I used to go there before a bunch of home games. It was hit or miss if he was there that day, but when he was there was basically a constant line to talk to him or take a picture with him. Great food too.

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

Met several celebrities when I worked at the Airport in Toronto.Met and had a picture take with Darryl Sitter and he signed his plane ticket and gave it to me even though I didn't ask,nice guy.Also had a 10 minute conversation with NBA legend Julius Erving about dunking. He said most of his best dunks were on the playground .I could go on and on about many people I met but I don't want to bore your. Oh Colby Rasmus signed my PS4 game.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Dale Murphy opened up a restaurant here a couple years ago, right by my office. Some coworkers and I went over for lunch during their soft opening. He sat down at our table for a few minutes. He mostly talked about how he decided to get into the restaurant business, but it was a cool experience.

My wife and I used to go there before a bunch of home games. It was hit or miss if he was there that day, but when he was there was basically a constant line to talk to him or take a picture with him. Great food too.

Sent from my S10 using Operation Sports mobile app
huge Murphy fan here. next time you see him tell him Gomer says hey!

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »