Home

If anyone plays ASB 05 post comments, questions, or what-nots in here!

This is a discussion on If anyone plays ASB 05 post comments, questions, or what-nots in here! within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
Rookie

asb_man's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: If anyone plays ASB 05 post comments, questions, or what-nots in here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Beastmaster
The biggest one I can think of off hand was the disappearing player bug.
Yeah, if anyone here is still playing ASB'04, this bug can be avoided by making sure you have an open roster slot before a trade. Just drop your worst player beforehand. This usually happened in '1 for 2 player' trades. I am glad some of you are still enjoying the game. I still work with one of the designers from ASB and we get together about every-other week to play a game of ASB'05 on xbox. I am really enjoying MLB 'the show' on PSP these days too.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asb_man
Yeah, if anyone here is still playing ASB'04, this bug can be avoided by making sure you have an open roster slot before a trade. Just drop your worst player beforehand. This usually happened in '1 for 2 player' trades. I am glad some of you are still enjoying the game. I still work with one of the designers from ASB and we get together about every-other week to play a game of ASB'05 on xbox. I am really enjoying MLB 'the show' on PSP these days too.

Well if your buddy still has some pull in the video game market at large, make sure he is pushing the folks who bought Acclaim to bring it back. Or at least make sure the expansion draft gets included in one of the games next year. That feature alone was awesome. Best case would be to see if we could get it into High Heat (if Microsoft actually makes the game they bought the rights to)--that would be awesome beyond words!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #11
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:

MLB The Show is a great title, but ASB_man I am going to level with you. No other game has captured the true realism on and off the field the way that ASB 05 did. Sure you could have added the flair of having the gamer set ticket prices, build their own stadium, buy his team a jet plane, or whatever but you guys did it the way it should be done.

If your buddy has pull in the gaming world, ask him to tell his employer, whomever it may be (Sony), to take the off-season modes of ASB 05 and implement them into a new baseball title. I am talking about the following:

*Rule 5 draft
*Salary Arbitration
*Option years for players (how players have three option years in which they can be called up or sent down to the minors. After the three years they must clear waivers)
*Waivers
*Teams moving into new stadiums
*the Futures game
*Home run derby
*Long term deals
*team records
*League Records
*score updates at the bottom during franchise mode
*working bullpens
*working scoreboards
*ball collision detection on homeruns

These things are the realism and the reason why I continue and will continue to play ASB 05. Too bad you guys couldn't keep making the game, because its by far, at least in this humble mans opinion, the most realistic, the best playing, and the most well rounded baseball title ever, and I do mean, ever made.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
MLB The Show is a great title, but ASB_man I am going to level with you. No other game has captured the true realism on and off the field the way that ASB 05 did. Sure you could have added the flair of having the gamer set ticket prices, build their own stadium, buy his team a jet plane, or whatever but you guys did it the way it should be done.

If your buddy has pull in the gaming world, ask him to tell his employer, whomever it may be (Sony), to take the off-season modes of ASB 05 and implement them into a new baseball title. I am talking about the following:

*Rule 5 draft
*Salary Arbitration
*Option years for players (how players have three option years in which they can be called up or sent down to the minors. After the three years they must clear waivers)
*Waivers
*Teams moving into new stadiums
*the Futures game
*Home run derby
*Long term deals
*team records
*League Records
*score updates at the bottom during franchise mode
*working bullpens
*working scoreboards
*ball collision detection on homeruns

These things are the realism and the reason why I continue and will continue to play ASB 05. Too bad you guys couldn't keep making the game, because its by far, at least in this humble mans opinion, the most realistic, the best playing, and the most well rounded baseball title ever, and I do mean, ever made.
I second Countryboy on this one. I rented The Show and found it to have great gameplay and really enjoyed it. However, I play baseball games for the franchise, and there isn't anything that comes close to ASB franchise/baseball atmosphere. I am in the second year of my Braves Manage mode franchise, and loving every minute of it. I have the settings tweaked to where I am getting excellent results. I love the stadiums, the commentary, etc. It just feels like baseball. I would love to see this game updated.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
I am assuming you were involved in the development of ASB based your user name and the fact that it's purple, so if it's okay with you I'd like to ask a few questions I haven't been able to get an answer too:

1) I am strictly a manage mode player. I have found that by setting pitch speed to slow and the hitting to 3D Zone, the results are more realistic. With it on the manage mode default settings there were way to many strikeouts and too few HR's. I am just curious as to why this is, and does it really matter what batting setting you choose?

2) When pitching in manage mode, I am unable to call for the C to try and throw a pickoff to a base. The CPU is able to, but I can't get it to work. Is this broken, or am I missing something?

3) When my pitcher is pitching, I notice that his pitches are either coded red, yellow, or green. I have noticed when they come in to a game, they are either green or yellow and quickly go to red once he pitches. What do these colors mean?

Thanks for any input and I apologize if you weren't involved in the development of the game.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

This games is the best, no doubt. As you said the other games have good components but this one is the only one that feels like baseball. MVP has the arguing with the umps and actual minor leagues and MLB has the owner mode stuff (and any new game from here on out should have those) but ASB is still the most complete game. I especially love the announcers. When you have a day to day guy they say we didn't think this guy would be available but he was. Or the on screen graphics denote a guys first hit or Grif's 500th homerun. That stuff is awesome!
Old 04-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I agree with the above comments. Its not that MVP or The Show are bad, as I still play both, its that ASB '05 just keeps my attention more. When I play MVP or MLB, I start wanting to play ASB.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 AM   #16
Rookie

asb_man's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
I am assuming you were involved in the development of ASB based your user name and the fact that it's purple, so if it's okay with you I'd like to ask a few questions I haven't been able to get an answer too:

1) I am strictly a manage mode player. I have found that by setting pitch speed to slow and the hitting to 3D Zone, the results are more realistic. With it on the manage mode default settings there were way to many strikeouts and too few HR's. I am just curious as to why this is, and does it really matter what batting setting you choose?

2) When pitching in manage mode, I am unable to call for the C to try and throw a pickoff to a base. The CPU is able to, but I can't get it to work. Is this broken, or am I missing something?

3) When my pitcher is pitching, I notice that his pitches are either coded red, yellow, or green. I have noticed when they come in to a game, they are either green or yellow and quickly go to red once he pitches. What do these colors mean?

Thanks for any input and I apologize if you weren't involved in the development of the game.

-I've got to say, manage-only was never the focus of the team. We knew a lot of people on the boards requested it, so it was tacked on at the end of the project. Actually, I believe our designer Wes Mailman's dad like this idea too, which also influenced this mode getting it into the game. As far as I know, the hitting settings in this mode would not have made a bit of difference.
note: Although Wes's name and cyber scan head were used for the fake Barry Bonds in the game, he has never knowingly used steroids.

-I think this was overlooked since so little testing time was spent in manage-only. If anyone would have pointed it out in the forums we'd have fixed it though; we really did pay attention to requests.

-green=strong, yellow= average, red=weak

My ex-ASB designer friend and I are working on a baseball title or two for PSP, PS2, x-box which should be announced during E3 next month. We also worked on the 'playTV baseball' operationsports reviewed recently, it got an 8 out of 10. We plan on playing ASB tomorrow night and have agreed to sim a Braves franchise until they make it to the world series. I will play as the other team, no matter who it is, best of 7. In the Polo Grounds, of course.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »