Home

R.B.I. Baseball 20 Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on R.B.I. Baseball 20 Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: R.B.I. Baseball 20 Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here

Alright I'm a sucker for any baseball game, so I picked this up even though I will be getting a PS4 and the Show in the next couple of weeks.
Pluses, the graphics and controls have improved. Like the challenge of the "Modern" controls (power meter for hitting and the selecting the pitch option. Adds a lot of strategy fun to the game. The loading between innings seems a few seconds quicker than last year and light years ahead of RBI 18.

The worst thing I've seen though in any baseball game for a long while is the online play of this title. On XBOX, I could only find one player to connect to and when I did, it was an outright low frame rate, stop motion s***show. That needs to be smoothed out big time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeus

Can you change cameras for the batter and pitcher?

Yes in a way, if you choose modern controls you will get the straight up batting cam and the pitcher view cam. If you choose classic controls, you get the views from last year. If you choose classic pitching, you can still choose pitcher view and get a N64 like Ken Griffey pitcher cam which I like. You can mix modern controls with classic if you want (batting/pitching).

Last edited by baconbits11; 03-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

What has held me back for years is the franchise mode. Has it got any better?
Like I read what they added but is t any fun?
Old 03-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 1

Just wanted add my two cents, bought the Switch version this year.

- Bummed that once again there's no online multiplayer for the Switch edition. However, hearing a few posts back that Xbox is having major performance issues online makes me think I'm not missing out on much.

- Batting and pitching. Holy crap, I'm glad to see a more modern system in RBI. Pitching feels good, batting is going to take me a bit getting used to. I'm not comfortable with not having some type of "quick swing" mechanic, but I also totally get why modern batting is the way it is.

- Animations. Lots of awkward animation transitions on defense. Diving, in general, just looks super weird. Diving also leads to instances where the ball vacuums into the defenders glove in the infield. In the outfield, there are times where it looks like the ball drops onto the ground but is called out. Just seems that a few things need to be ironed out post release.

- Two plays of note really stick out to me regarding the above: I once had the first baseman dive for a grounder and the ball ricocheted off of some invisible barrier that was nowhere near the player. Not even close. Second, an outfielder that drove near the wall and had their glove pass through the wall to catch the ball for an out.

- No choice to enable the DH in exhibition games. I figured with the universal DH this year they would at least give us the option to turn it on or off.

Haven't touched anything beyond exhibition yet. But those are a few of the things I liked/noticed. I like the fact that the RBI team are making strides to really improve the game. I just wish it they had started that process sooner with The Show seemingly going multiplatform next year.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #20
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeus
Can you change cameras for the batter and pitcher?

You can change the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief
Old 03-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #21
MVP

Update: I played another game online today and it was much better. Maybe it was just the person I played or my ping before but online is playable today. Still could be a lot smoother though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

I've watched some vids to see how the pitching works.
Is there more than one way to pitch? How is it compared to The Show?
(I really miss 2K's analog pitching and dynamics. The fatigue, loss of control, etc.. it really did make some at-bats a stressful experience, lol)
Old 03-20-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Downloading this today on Switch. Looking forward to diving in and checking it all out. I played 19 quite a bit and overall enjoyed my time with it. I hope the new pitching and hitting cameras/mechanics will increase the amount of time I spend with the game.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 03-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #24
Pro

How does modern + aim work when batting?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »