Home

Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

This is a discussion on Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #233
Rookie

shad_moss93's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Black College Football - The Xperience: What's Behind the Name?

IGN, Gamespot, Gamestop, and http://www.amazon.com/Black-College-...=operasport-20 all have the release date for August 24, 2009.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #234
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

Are there any 360 vids for this game? I can't believe 10 days before the game comes out and IGN doesn't have any vids up.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #235
Rookie

Dollar Theater's Arena

OVR: 5

Gamestop has pushed the release date back to Sept. 8. This game is never going to come out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #236
Banned

sois's Arena

OVR: 24

I hate football developers. They remind me of the 3 stooges. EA is Moe. 2K is Curly. This game is Shemp. They all fail at satisfying the customer.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #237
Rookie

dabigman9748's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
I hate football developers. They remind me of the 3 stooges. EA is Moe. 2K is Curly. This game is Shemp. They all fail at satisfying the customer.
EA is the good businessman but crappy game designer, 2k is the crappy businessman but good game designer. nerjyzed is the crappy businessman and crappy game designer lol.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #238
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois
LOL!

Sad, but true...
Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #239
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't consider this game racist. I'm white, and if the average review is 7.5 or better, I'll probably be getting it.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #240
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtamind
Alcorn State Class of '02 reporting in here.

Funny thing about my school, is that in a way, it is both historically white AND black. How? It was founded as a school for whites by the Presbyterians back before the Civil War. When it failed to reopen afterwards, it became Alcorn State---named ironically enough for the governor of Mississippi. When it reopened it was a school for black men. And it was a pretty brave thing to do, although at the time it was more a vocational school (i.e. how to fix things on a farm) than an educational one (i.e. get smart and get a better job than working on a farm). But you have to start somewhere, and eventually about a 100 years later, it became a full fledged university. Today, it's designated as a HBCU---and the alma mater of the late, great Steve McNair, RIP.

About the title of this game.....I see why they didn't call it Historically Black College Football. Eeesh, that'd be a mouthful. On the other hand, I sort of, sort of, see where the other side is coming from. It does to some extent sound exclusionary if you don't know what the game is truly representing. And while we would all like to think that everyone knows about HBCU's and their dignified history, not everyone does. And even then, some will make the argument, as Pike did, that the name isn't necessary anymore. And while I don't agree, the point is valid. There's a senator in Georgia even that is trying to combine a HBCU with a couple of others on the premise that the HBCU designation is no longer significant or some such.

Honoring the past of these schools is vital--that no one can argue. What the founders of these schools did was difficult and brave and shouldn't be forgotten. And the term HBCU, in my book, is one way to honor them. Maybe there is a better way, but I'm not sure as to what that would be.

Now, I will say that yes, these schools are predominantly black. And the reasons for that are varied. But if a white student wishes to attend, he can. And, in fact, I would recommend it to any white person as a way to open up your horizons---much in the same vein as going to Europe or Asia. The culture at these schools IS different, but in a good way. That said, I do think the day will come when these schools are more mixed than they are now--and contrary to some of my fellow alumni, I think that is great. And when that day comes, maybe Alcorn will just be Alcorn and we'll have a Hall of History telling the story of our school. Anything is possible.

So, in summary, Black College Football: The Xperience, is certainly not without some controversy, but also not without some valid reasons for the branding that I don't think are meant to be exclusionary or racist. For one, I can't think of what else they would call the game that would sell very well. They probably can't use the NCAA name because of EA Sports, and it's not as if all these schools are in just one conference--so you can't call it 'Southland' football or what have you.

Lastly, to some of you guys who are defending the title of the game--and of HBCU's in general:

It's great that you are sticking up for the history of these institutions. They are deserving of the defense. People need to know why these schools are designated as they are. People need to know about the brave people who set these schools up. And they need to know that in no way does the term 'HBCU' mean segregated and exclusionary.

What they do not need, and what we as black people do not need, are people representing us in a way that is so aggressive, ish-filled and crass that the message gets lost in the end. You may hate that not everyone sees it your way, but what you are missing is that by calling people out, being rude as hell and, telling them to 'STFU', and so on...is that you are giving these people exactly what they expected from the stereotypes they may have brought into the conversation. If a white person gets into this conversation thinking that black people are using 'reverse racism' in the title of this game and in the use of the term HBCU, what do you think will change if your tactics are to be rude and insulting to them? It just helps to confirm their feelings, in my honest opinion. And that isn't cool for us.

It's fine to educate them about the history of these schools--it's great even. But leave it at that. And if they don't--if they persist in views that are in opposition to yours, just leave them be. Kill them with kindness, remember that growing up? You'll be much more likely to get your point across, and it will be much more likely that they'll see your point of view. And if they don't, well then that's on them. At least you and our point of view, will come out looking dignified and respectful.

And while I don't see any indication that aholbert32 is a moderator here, if he is then it is not a good thing to have such a flagrant violation of the TOS committed by someone who is here to defend it. I can't imagine how someone telling another member to 'STFU', for any reason, could be a moderator here.

And if anyone wants a cool, non-ish filled conversation about the subject of this game and its correlation with HBCU's, hit me up. I won't bite.

Peace.
Discussions like this normally are heated. I can't blame anyone here for losing their tempers. This is an underlying problems that's been an issue in this country for years. Why so much issues with black anything. Including businesses. I personally have views on this subject but will not share them on the net. Peace.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »