Home

Smashmouth Pro Football Ballcarrier Capture Part II: Running Styles

This is a discussion on Smashmouth Pro Football Ballcarrier Capture Part II: Running Styles within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Smashmouth Pro Football Ballcarrier Capture Part II: Running Styles

^^^ You can enlarge the video for a closer look through the Youtube toolbar menus's but there is no larger version. The camera is set at the same angle as the other vids. However, I've noticed that the uploads are experiencing some minor changes to aspect ratio and frame rate just because of the way Youtube encodes and posts the video, and some of it probably has to do with how it converts my file type, too.

For the purpose of getting the playable game prototype completed in a timely manner, the player size will be around what you'd get if you enlarged the video with the Youtube tools (maybe slightly bigger) when I post a video of the playable game prototype. Since a new field will be built and will need a new camera installed when the game demo goes into production (I'm going to post what I'm targeting there with angle and player size in the near future), everything will have to be done in new sessions, meaning that everything will be all-new at that stage. At this stage it's all about running the process, learning from each session, and making it work and getting it ready for the next stage and so on.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Looks alot better than the first vid, keep up the good work.

I will say I'm disappointed you will be forced to use the broadcast camera angle in the game. I was really hoping that at the very least it'd be optional. I strongly prefer the "in the backfield" view that most football games have.

That said, I'll still be following this, and I have to say I do like the creative direction you are going by using real people in the game.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
^^^ You can enlarge the video for a closer look through the Youtube toolbar menus's but there is no larger version. The camera is set at the same angle as the other vids. However, I've noticed that the uploads are experiencing some minor changes to aspect ratio and frame rate just because of the way Youtube encodes and posts the video, and some of it probably has to do with how it converts my file type, too.

For the purpose of getting the playable game prototype completed in a timely manner, the player size will be around what you'd get if you enlarged the video with the Youtube tools (maybe slightly bigger) when I post a video of the playable game prototype. Since a new field will be built and will need a new camera installed when the game demo goes into production (I'm going to post what I'm targeting there with angle and player size in the near future), everything will have to be done in new sessions, meaning that everything will be all-new at that stage. At this stage it's all about running the process, learning from each session, and making it work and getting it ready for the next stage and so on.
Ok, that helped a little. It's the right leg, it's like it has an extra lift to it when it's coming off the ground, which gives it an extra-elongated look to it. Try going through it frame by frame after it lands, while the right leg is on the way up, and you should be able to see it. If not, I can post a pic. Check the height on the right/left leg, if they are the same, then it may just be the camera angle shortening the left leg and thus making the right one seem longer.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
MVP

Well, every human has their own style of how they run, it's not a uniform sort of thing. They get the ball, and they start running. Whatever a person does is captured as they move, and I don't modify the movements in any way since it would defeat the purpose of using real people. The way a players legs move, or his arms or other body part, is just that particular person's running style.

If I didn't know Adrian Peterson and he were being captured, I'd say "Man, Adrian, stop swinging your arms so wildly, especially the arm you carry with. Don't bounce so much when you're running downfield, and tilt your head up when you break so you can center yourself for more speed". It's a violent, unique style with things we wouldn't consider "the norm", but that's his personal style.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 07-10-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Well, every human has their own style of how they run, it's not a uniform sort of thing. They get the ball, and they start running. Whatever a person does is captured as they move, and I don't modify the movements in any way since it would defeat the purpose of using real people. The way a players legs move, or his arms or other body part, is just that particular person's running style.

If I didn't know Adrian Peterson and he were being captured, I'd say "Man, Adrian, stop swinging your arms so wildly, especially the arm you carry with. Don't bounce so much when you're running downfield, and tilt your head up when you break so you can center yourself for more speed". It's a violent, unique style with things we wouldn't consider "the norm", but that's his personal style.
I did see an ESPN piece about Peterson modifying his carrying style because of the fumbles (just like Tiki Barber), but your point is well taken and that's the point I was making in the other thread myself.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather you didn't do a single run for all rb's, or try to copy NFL backs if that was ever a thought. I'd just keep doing what you're doing now, no two people run alike or have a specific way of running so there really is nothing wrong with it. It looks fine. When I compare it to how stiff Backbreaker's rb's run (stiff upper body and a funky carry) or Madden's (stiff and robotic), I can't complain at all. This guy looks loose and not like he's made of metal. I again have to point out how sharp the loops are, that's nothing to scoff at.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #22
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
I'm confused then. If you're not modifying the movements based on feedback, then why ask for feedback? And how did you go from version 1 to version 2 of the running style? Separate captures?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I'm confused then. If you're not modifying the movements based on feedback, then why ask for feedback?
The idea never was to modify the movements based on feedback. The vids are to show what's being worked on. If a person likes or dislikes one player's style or another, that feedback is valuable because I can use that feedback as part of the decision to use a player or not, or do something with his body type, etc. It would defeat the purpose of using real people and getting individual distinct movements for various players throughout the game if I were to mod their moves into a uniform code like, all RB's will run like this, and all QB's will throw like this... instead, I want each RB and QB to have his own unique signature style and personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
And how did you go from version 1 to version 2 of the running style? Separate captures?
Separate captures at different build stages, different players. Different people are brought in for captures, this is how the way players move will maintain distinction between each other.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #24
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Gotcha. I thought you were fine tuning the captures, since there's no guarantee that they will look like professional athletes running styles.

Can you explain why that right leg looks so long on the kick up in the 2nd animation? Is it the camera angle?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »