Home

My thoughts on Fever and the ESPN "faithfuls"

This is a discussion on My thoughts on Fever and the ESPN "faithfuls" within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
My thoughts on Fever and the ESPN \"faithfuls\"

Ok, first off this is coming from a person who has been playing football games since the handheld's with the little red lines....(can remembers the name of the maker)

Ok, I have been playing Fever since the first hour it came out and, WOW, what a 180 this game has taken. The sound is the most amazing thing about his game and it COMPLETELY BLOWS ESPN's "effort" right out of the water. I have a 8000.00 (or so) 7.1DD sound system and there isn't any comparison. Even my g/f, who doesnt really like football but loves games, compared the two and she was blown away at how much richer and deeper the sound quality is over Sega's title. The layering of sounds it much better in Fever too. The crowds are so detialed in Fever it will make you ask the person sitting next to you if you need a beer when the "beer guy" walks by, lol. I think Ron Pitts and Kevin do a MUCH better job than last year and 2002.
Sega'a announcers blow chunks. You can tell these guys have never done a Pro game in their lives. They sound more like scripted announcers, than football guru's. Plus, they sound like complete wussies!! Give me a break!!

Second, the graphics. Well, I also happen to have a Hit 51SWX20B and the overall look goes to Fever. Player faces, the textures, lighting, and polygons cant be touched, not even by Madden and all its royalty. ESPN does look good, but its still a very PS2-ish title and VC needs to address this. (no 720p, LAME)

Animations-well, I can't lie, ESPN has some very good animations, and they flow well, but what they heck is up with the way the players run?? They look like they have a load in their pants and they run accordingly. Plus the "charge system" to do special moves was developed by someone running in the special olympics. Fever has some animations that are not seen on any other football title, like the QB ducking to make a defender miss, and I praise Dan and the team for this. That being said, the Fever team really needs to work hard on the animations for next season. Dan, clean the animations up(smoother transitions), add more gang tackles, do away with the annoying bat-downs by DB's (every play it seems, but thats a product of poor passing too), and add about 1000 more for next year. ESPN wins this by a mile.

Passing mode-Hands downs this goes to Fever. Whats funny though, after using the Read and Lead, I have become Joe Montana in one-button passing(ESPN or Madden).

Gameplay- ESPN has some real good gameplay, no doubt, but when the game fails to suck you in, what good is it? (plus the game is EASY, even on all-pro) I really feel Fever is the hardest game of the bunch to master and a applaud the Fever team for this.
People that really suck at Fever 2004 tend to bash it saying the "gameplay is horrible". I beg to differ....If you like playing D, Fever is the game for you. SOOOOO many options both in the menu, before the snap, and after. Yes, ESPN has some nice tweaks, but who can press the White button and move the right stick at the same time?? Not me.

The Fever player ratings and playbooks need help, but other than that, good job to the Fever team.

I dont see why everyone is raving like ESPN is the end all to football sports gaming....ITS NOT, BY FAR. Yes, its a very solid title, but most of you are bandwagon jumpers who will just go with the flow instead of holding your ground about a game in fear of a flame retaliation(i have been reading threads in these forums for weeks only to see this happen), or being pointed at and laughed at. Dont lie, its the way society is and people dont want to be on one side of the fence by themselves. Sad, really...I could care less if its me against the world, really. I like what I like and thats that.

If Fever can add as much for next year as they did this year, watch out Maddena and ESPN!!!! Maybe some of you will admit a good game when you see one instead of beating it down just because you arent good at it, or because it isnt "easy" to play.

Good job to Dan and the rest of his crew. The ones complaining about Fever need to apply for a job at the development studio so you can get it right for next year.

ginz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: My thoughts on Fever and the ESPN \"faithfuls\"

Good post. I agree with ya.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:15 PM   #3
Rookie

roadpimp's Arena

OVR: 3

Fever got a long way to go if you ask me to compete with madden and espn
Old 09-05-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:

roadpimp said:
Fever got a long way to go if you ask me to compete with madden and espn

I would have to disagree. A long way isnt that far then. Fever is one years HARD work from becoming a fan favorite. Remember that...

ginz
Old 09-05-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
Rookie

roadpimp's Arena

OVR: 3

Dont get me wrong i like fever but the flow of the game just doesnt seem right some parts of the game ar excuted well and others arent like the running game animations are good but there are a lack of animations to
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2003, 09:57 PM   #6
MVP

Klocker's Arena

OVR: 16

Well said...I have them both and I like Fever too.

the Read & Lead, sound and graphics, animations...defense...good stuff!

I need a little less getting sucked into animations that make the player feel out of my control and SOME interaction between the announcers so it doesn't sound like they are in separate rooms watching the game otherwise....GOOD job Fever team!

Do likewise each year and you guys will one day get the respect you deserve.

BTW...for those of you comparing this game TO ESPN...I've got news for you....the majority of people who buy ESPN are NOT the people who the FEVER team is marketing here.

There is a WHOLE bunch of gamers who don't need what ESPN and Madden have and who just like fun GREAT looking innovative VIDEO game that plays a good game of football.

Fever gives them that ... a LOT of people like Fever who do NOT post on Sports Gaming forums.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:

Klocker2 said:
Well said...I have them both and I like Fever too.

the Read & Lead, sound and graphics, animations...defense...good stuff!

I need a little less getting sucked into animations that make the player feel out of my control and SOME interaction between the announcers so it doesn't sound like they are in separate rooms watching the game otherwise....GOOD job Fever team!

Do likewise each year and you guys will one day get the respect you deserve.

BTW...for those of you comparing this game TO ESPN...I've got news for you....the majority of people who buy ESPN are NOT the people who the FEVER team is marketing here.

There is a WHOLE bunch of gamers who don't need what ESPN and Madden have and who just like fun GREAT looking innovative VIDEO game that plays a good game of football.

Fever gives them that ... a LOT of people like Fever who do NOT post on Sports Gaming forums.

I might get flamed for this...but all my friends, who are casual gamers an NOT a hardcore gamer like me really like Fever and dont see what the big deal is with ESPN. And these guys are Madden people..all they really know is Madden because its all over the TV during games. Can you blame them? EA knows what they are doing, keeping the casual fan...I am trying to get them to enjoy the other titles too.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:31 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:

TXBginz said:
Ok, first off this is coming from a person who has been playing football games since the handheld's with the little red lines....(can remembers the name of the maker)

Ok, I have been playing Fever since the first hour it came out and, WOW, what a 180 this game has taken. The sound is the most amazing thing about his game and it COMPLETELY BLOWS ESPN's "effort" right out of the water. I have a 8000.00 (or so) 7.1DD sound system and there isn't any comparison. Even my g/f, who doesnt really like football but loves games, compared the two and she was blown away at how much richer and deeper the sound quality is over Sega's title. The layering of sounds it much better in Fever too. The crowds are so detialed in Fever it will make you ask the person sitting next to you if you need a beer when the "beer guy" walks by, lol. I think Ron Pitts and Kevin do a MUCH better job than last year and 2002.
Sega'a announcers blow chunks. You can tell these guys have never done a Pro game in their lives. They sound more like scripted announcers, than football guru's. Plus, they sound like complete wussies!! Give me a break!!

Second, the graphics. Well, I also happen to have a Hit 51SWX20B and the overall look goes to Fever. Player faces, the textures, lighting, and polygons cant be touched, not even by Madden and all its royalty. ESPN does look good, but its still a very PS2-ish title and VC needs to address this. (no 720p, LAME)

Animations-well, I can't lie, ESPN has some very good animations, and they flow well, but what they heck is up with the way the players run?? They look like they have a load in their pants and they run accordingly. Plus the "charge system" to do special moves was developed by someone running in the special olympics. Fever has some animations that are not seen on any other football title, like the QB ducking to make a defender miss, and I praise Dan and the team for this. That being said, the Fever team really needs to work hard on the animations for next season. Dan, clean the animations up(smoother transitions), add more gang tackles, do away with the annoying bat-downs by DB's (every play it seems, but thats a product of poor passing too), and add about 1000 more for next year. ESPN wins this by a mile.

Passing mode-Hands downs this goes to Fever. Whats funny though, after using the Read and Lead, I have become Joe Montana in one-button passing(ESPN or Madden).

Gameplay- ESPN has some real good gameplay, no doubt, but when the game fails to suck you in, what good is it? (plus the game is EASY, even on all-pro) I really feel Fever is the hardest game of the bunch to master and a applaud the Fever team for this.
People that really suck at Fever 2004 tend to bash it saying the "gameplay is horrible". I beg to differ....If you like playing D, Fever is the game for you. SOOOOO many options both in the menu, before the snap, and after. Yes, ESPN has some nice tweaks, but who can press the White button and move the right stick at the same time?? Not me.

The Fever player ratings and playbooks need help, but other than that, good job to the Fever team.

I dont see why everyone is raving like ESPN is the end all to football sports gaming....ITS NOT, BY FAR. Yes, its a very solid title, but most of you are bandwagon jumpers who will just go with the flow instead of holding your ground about a game in fear of a flame retaliation(i have been reading threads in these forums for weeks only to see this happen), or being pointed at and laughed at. Dont lie, its the way society is and people dont want to be on one side of the fence by themselves. Sad, really...I could care less if its me against the world, really. I like what I like and thats that.

If Fever can add as much for next year as they did this year, watch out Maddena and ESPN!!!! Maybe some of you will admit a good game when you see one instead of beating it down just because you arent good at it, or because it isnt "easy" to play.

Good job to Dan and the rest of his crew. The ones complaining about Fever need to apply for a job at the development studio so you can get it right for next year.

ginz

I'll have what you're smoking

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »