Home

IGN's Madden v. NCAA *Presentation* comparison

This is a discussion on IGN's Madden v. NCAA *Presentation* comparison within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11
IGN's Madden v. NCAA *Presentation* comparison

IGN's Greg Miller deciding the better game:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/04/13...-ncaa-football

I'm not a Madden guy, so I can't speak for that game's merits, but Miller is an IGN editor and college football fan and is apparently blown away by NCAA 12's presentation and atmosphere (it should also be noted that he is painfully bad at NCAA - you can watch any of IGN's NCAA 12 preview or livestream vids for examples).

Now, I've always assumed that anyone playing NCAA that had ever actually attended a college football game would have the same concerns and complaints the game's lifeless stadium atmosphere that I do (/win game on last second hail mary --> "And Baylor wins 21 to 20. I'm Brad Nessler..."). I'm figuring that if Miller's a guy that's well-versed in videogames but is still really really bad at football, is he NCAA's target demographic? And if he's pleased with NCAA's progress, is he a better representation of NCAA's fan base?

Are we that far out of the mainstream? Is he just an industry shill?

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: IGN's Madden v. NCAA *Presentation* comparison

Oddly enough I agree with him about NCAA's presentation being better than Madden. Madden feels so generic and boring to me.

I also agree that NCAA's commentary is much better.

But when it comes down to it, that just really illustrates how bad EA is at presentation in their football games right now. Because I'd give NCAA's overall presentation a C- at best. Tempted to say D because of the lack of stat overlays and poor replay/highlight angles. Tempted to say D- because of no halftime show or recap show.

To answer your other question, I don't take the opinions of the mainstream review guys serious when it comes to football games. They are the ones giving these games good ratings every single year.

Remember the guy from last year who said the homefield 'squiggly lines' playart of NCAA was a glitch lol?

Sadly, I think most of the buying base of these games are similar to the reviewers in terms of what they look for.

Last edited by DorianDonP; 04-13-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40

How does his skill level in NCAA have anything to do with his opinion on the presentation?

Also, Madden's commentary was horrible last year. I hear Collinsworth talk about scoring touchdowns that never happened and kickoffs with field goal audio.

R.I.P Seattle SuperSonics
Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinT
How does his skill level in NCAA have anything to do with his opinion on the presentation?

Also, Madden's commentary was horrible last year. I hear Collinsworth talk about scoring touchdowns that never happened and kickoffs with field goal audio.
Correlation not causation. Miller - a professional videogame reviewer - likes the game a lot but plays it like a scrub and doesn't appreciate/understand the science of football the way many of us do. I'm wondering if that's a greater reflection of NCAA's target demographic than what we have here at OS.

Assuming, arguendo, that that's the case, if he's thrilled with the current presentation, then perhaps most mainstream gamers don't have the same negative views of presentation/atmosphere that many of us hold.

Simply put: OS may be more in the minority that it realizes.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
OS is in the minority. I figured this out as soon as I started playing online dynasties with friends and they would cheese like crazy with four verticals, constantly run with their QBs on deep pass plays, complete less than 50% of their passes (I am usually 60-65%) because they throw deep every time they throw, or get upset and restart when they lost. People who truly want a sim like experience like most OS posters; myself included, are few and far between.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
@HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WipeOut464
Correlation not causation. Miller - a professional videogame reviewer - likes the game a lot but plays it like a scrub and doesn't appreciate/understand the science of football the way many of us do. I'm wondering if that's a greater reflection of NCAA's target demographic than what we have here at OS.

Assuming, arguendo, that that's the case, if he's thrilled with the current presentation, then perhaps most mainstream gamers don't have the same negative views of presentation/atmosphere that many of us hold.

I agree, I never really thought of it that way, but the more you think about it a majority of the players of this game are kids who don't appreciate the little things that would make 99% of us happy. Those are the people who cheese and enjoy the super LB's or the really unrealistic arcade feel. Those are the people who EA are really catering to. And don't get me started on the "family" feel to this game. EA is also catering to real young kids don't know squat about video games/football so they put a family mode in, and then they leave that mascot game in so toddlers can be amazed by watching mascots flip and flop around. Maybe EA should just make a separate game for those kind of people. It wouldn't be hard, have one copy split it into either A. Hardcore (with a real awesome dynasty and some really big features people want that is taken up with the family mode and mascot game.) and B. Family game with all that crap that is normal for an EA football game. Hell who knows EA may just happen to make more money because some people would buy both games. Just my thoughts.

*PS sorry to those parents who have kids who enjoy those modes. This is just my opinion on the game, how it shouldn't have those modes.*
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Banned

raquelraul12's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
OS is in the minority. I figured this out as soon as I started playing online dynasties with friends and they would cheese like crazy with four verticals, constantly run with their QBs on deep pass plays, complete less than 50% of their passes (I am usually 60-65%) because they throw deep every time they throw, or get upset and restart when they lost. People who truly want a sim like experience like most OS posters; myself included, are few and far between.
taking four verticals away from the user is so easy...... Do cover 3 take control of a lb and take that t/e away. Every time someone tries to do that to me i usually get a pick.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Rookie

Sedihawk2K5's Arena

OVR: 8

I have an 11 yr old son who plays tackle football and we play this game all the time. He is a kid who actually plays football and he loves this game! We play together all the time and he gets a real kick out of it. He doesn't wring his hands over some of the smaller issues like the adults do but that is the beauty of being a kid. You just aren't cynical- at least not yet anyway. But I have to admit that when I play with him I tend to not notice the flaws as much. If is refreshing I guess. I know kids that age aren't exactly the target market but I can say first hand the game is great in his world!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »