Home

WHY play a 5 yr old game?

This is a discussion on WHY play a 5 yr old game? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
WHY play a 5 yr old game?

The studies state the average age of video-game players in the United States is 35 or 37 depending on which study, and oh, by the way: they're overweight, unattractive and tend to be depressed - that's another topic all together although many of us are jumping up right now and saying 'I am not depressed!'

Sports video game players are in a class by themselves when you consider their level of competiveness, demand for a new game every year (whether it improves or not), up to date (up to today) rosters and complaints about the smallest of details (my favorite player's tattoo is too small!). Game makers have responded by updating rosters frequently and providing updates to patch 'bugs' and improve the game to satisfy the sports video game enthusiasts.

Why do grown men compete in a digital sports stadium or arena anyway? Is it to escape from reality or the desire for reality? Is it for the comradery they miss from days gone by or simply for the love of the game? Perhaps America's avid sports fans feel helpless being a spectator on Sunday but can dictate the outcome of their league game on Thursday evening by combining the perfect play with perfect execution of the left thumb and the B button.

At CasualAdultGamers.com (CAG), there is a group of grown men who play digital football all year. What is surprising is they play a sports video game, All Pro football 2K8 (APF2K8) that is over 5 years old. There is another group that plays on the PS3 at 2Ksports.com. Some of these gamers play the latest and greatest games (NBA2K13, NHL13, MLB 12: The Show and Madden 13) but this 'ancient' (by video game standards) game has a hold on them. Coaches ponder their 20 player roster and the abilities they will award them for the upcoming season (season XXIII- the PS3 guys are on season LV - hey if nothing else we will master the Roman numerals). In an era where most sports video gamers demand the latest game, best graphics and the latest patch, what makes APF2K8 so different? What is the appeal? Let's ask them.

Why do you still play a 5 1/2 year old game (APF2K8)?

“All Pro Football simulates the game of football very well, and CAG has such a great group of guys who make the game enjoyable to play and keep it fresh with new ideas. Every guy in the CAG APF leagues is ultra-competitive and wants to win, but they're able to couple that with fantastic sportsmanship.” - Vertigho

"Fundamentals are practiced at every position and that's what makes a simulation game. Throw in a unique rating/abilities system and you can definitely see STAR players stand out from the rest." - BullGates

“For me realism is the most important aspect of a sports simulation. All Pro Football is still the most realistic form of video game football on the market even though it came out over 5 years ago.” - E7ang

“It’s the gameplay period. 2K football games do a better job overall representing the game of football on the field and in the trenches.” - db56 (AKA f1fty s1x)

“When I play video games, I want realism. All Pro Football 2K8 provides that. When I'm running, I want my player to feel like he's running. When he makes cuts, I want to feel the cuts. When I'm tackling, I want it to feel like I'm actually tackling. I want my players to wrap the ball carrier up. When I'm trying to break a tackle, I want to feel like I'm fighting to break through. When I'm throwing the ball, I want to be able to throw any type of pass & lead my receivers. I want realistic Ai. I play a 5 year old video game, because it feels realistic." - NTQ03

Last edited by tjspeaks; 10-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: WHY play a 5 yr old game?

What is this???? Should be placed in your blog..
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 3

Nice. Getting ready to play this week's game now!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
What is this???? Should be placed in your blog..
He is right, put that in your blog not the forum. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLeadedApe
He is right, put that in your blog not the forum. Thanks!
STFU! He'll post where he wants to post.

It can't be anymore directly related to APF 2K8 than it is...if I have to explain. It's an article about apf2k8 and we're in a 2k football forum.

Wreck, out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreckONE
STFU! He'll post where he wants to post.

It can't be anymore directly related to APF 2K8 than it is...if I have to explain. It's an article about apf2k8 and we're in a 2k football forum.

Wreck, out.
Take it easy,man. It reads like a blog post, is all I was saying.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Reads like an ad for the website he's promoting rather than an attempt at starting a discussion.

At a glance, looks like he links to that site at every opportunity.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by mestevo; 10-28-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Given the font, writing style, and quotes of users it definitely looks/sounds like a copy/paste from an article.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »