Home

Pocket Dynasty Football Contest - Your Face! In A Videogame!

This is a discussion on Pocket Dynasty Football Contest - Your Face! In A Videogame! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Pocket Dynasty Football Art Designer

OVR: 3
Pocket Dynasty Football Contest - Your Face! In A Videogame!

Hey guys,

Sooo two of my friends and I are in the process of making an asynchronous multiplayer mobile football game for iOS and Android platforms. As you could probably guess, it's called Pocket Dynasty Football, and we're pretty stoked on it.

So stoked, in fact, that we wanted to come up with a way to get the community and people who are fans of what we're fans of involved with it.

Here's the contest:

Yeah! Just get your gears turning and figure out what your dream team (not the Eagles) would be named and you could be the Jerry Jones of that team with your face plastered all over it!

Follow us on Twitter, Like us Facebook, submit your idea!

If you want more information about the game itself, check this out: http://www.pocketdynastyfootball.com

Any questions? Ask away!
Platform: iOS
Coming August 2013
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Re: Pocket Dynasty Football Contest - Your Face! In A Videogame!

I guess I should mention this:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PocketDynastyFootball

Twitter: @PDFootballGame
Coming August 2013
Old 04-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I like the concept and the simple play calling. Are those the base 9 offensive plays? What are the defensive plays?

Too bad I have a Windows phone. I've been wanting a good multi player strategy football game for the phone for a long time.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I like the concept and the simple play calling. Are those the base 9 offensive plays? What are the defensive plays?

Too bad I have a Windows phone. I've been wanting a good multi player strategy football game for the phone for a long time.
So, you pick 3 plays at a time (if it's first down) and you can choose from 9 plays (run left, right, middle...pass right, left, middle and pass deep left, r, m...etc.). So, you pick those three plays and send them off to your friend, but before you send them off, you do a quick skill game for each play to determine how hard it will be for your friend to defend against your plays.

The skill games are kind of similar to a few skill games in other games like New Star Soccer or 9 innings. For running plays, you see a view from behind the offensive line and you are trying to "hit the hole" at the precise time. There are little, transparent, moving circles that get bigger and smaller as they move through the offensive line. They turn green when the hole is open (you'll see a gap in the line too). The idea is to tap the circle when it's as small as possible and as green as possible. There will be a huge variation in the circles each time you do the game (speed, number of circles, direction of circles) and it's kind of similar to the pitching mechanic in 9 innings.

For passing plays, it's kind of a top down (or isometric-ish) view and you are the QB standing behind the line. You see your WRs running routes and you pull back, aim and pass the ball and try to time the route to hit one of your WRs in stride. You have to do this before the Defense crashes through the line. For deep passes, you do the same passing skill game, but it's more difficult and further away, but you also do an additional skill game where you have to time and do a pinch motion to catch the ball coming at you.

So, then, you've sent your plays off to your friend. Your friend then tries to guess which plays you picked (kind of like Tecmo Bowl) and selects three plays (same ones as on offense). It then shows your friend which plays you picked and how they compare to what they picked. If they guess correctly, then that particular defense skill game will be easier, but if they guessed way off (they pick pass deep left and you picked run right) then their skill game will be extra hard.

Defending the run is the same skill game as the offense run skill game, basically.

Defending the pass is a skill game where the CB is following the WR stride for stride. At changes in the WR's route, you will be asked to do a gesture (swipe, tap, pinch, etc) quickly. If you do the wrong one, or if you are too slow, you will begin to lose stride with the WR. There will be kind of a big, transparent circle that is a kind of a zone you are trying to stay within for following the WR. If you are outside of the zone when the ball is thrown, then you won't be able to defend the pass (they could still drop it, if the throw was ****ty by the guy on offense). If you are in the zone, you will get a similar skill game as the deep pass where you either pinch the ball to go for the pick (risky) or you just try and tap the ball for a swat (safer).

After each skill game on defense, you see how many yards you've allowed per play. The results go back to the guy on offense, and if it's a first down, then he picks three new plays and continues on. If it's now 4th down, he can choose to go for it, punt of kick a FG. The FG skill game is like new star soccer-ish. The punt one is a little like new star soccer, but you control the power of the punt instead of picking where on the ball to kick it.

So yeah, that was probably a horrible job of explaining this ****. We will have to show you on a lot of these. Believe me, it makes sense.

On top of all of this, you can have a **** ton of games going at once (like words with friends) and, it's free and ad supported. There will be FB and Twitter integration, so you can easily invite friends.

The pay version (probably $0.99) will have the ability to create custom teams (logo, name and color) create full on leagues and you will get to play all of the skill games as separate "arcade mode" challenges with leaderboards.

The league system will allow you to create a league and invite as many friends to join. The commissioner will be able to customize divisions and add and boot players as necessary. The game schedule will probably not be week dependent (i.e. you play your games whenever) until you get to the playoffs.

**** that was long.
Coming August 2013
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

No, you explained it very well. Very unique and sounds like a lot of fun.

Some questions:

You said that the defensive play call VS offensive play call will determine how easy or hard the defensive skill game will be. I guess the offensive skill game result for that particular down* adds or subtracts to the difficulty of the defensive skill game as well?

* I'm assuming that the three offensive plays (1-2-3) line up with the 1-2-3 "guesses" on defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

How well your skill game(s) on offense go combined with how closely your opponent guesses the okay determines how hard the defensive skill games are.

The result of the play is known once the defense is done with their skill games. That result is sent to the player on offense immediately after the player on defense is done. On offense, you will likely see a range of yardage that will result from how well you did in each offensive skill game.

Hopefully that answers your question!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #7

Also, we hope to make a version for Windows phones as well, but it will depend on how the iOS and Android versions do. The platform that we're using to build it allows us to just write one code base which compiles down to both iOS and Android. It doesn't have a Windows option. But our coder's main programming language is the same one that you would use to make Windows phone games, so we will hopefully be able to port the game in early Fall, if it all works out. It's a bummer, because Windows phones are pretty great. The multi-platform framework just isn't there yet, though.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyantheLou
Also, we hope to make a version for Windows phones as well, but it will depend on how the iOS and Android versions do. The platform that we're using to build it allows us to just write one code base which compiles down to both iOS and Android. It doesn't have a Windows option. But our coder's main programming language is the same one that you would use to make Windows phone games, so we will hopefully be able to port the game in early Fall, if it all works out. It's a bummer, because Windows phones are pretty great. The multi-platform framework just isn't there yet, though.
If you're using Unity (cross-platform deployment is one of Unity's biggest selling points, so my wild guess is that you are), such will be a feature at some version after Unity 4.2. A newer game engine, Loom, offers similar capabilities, and in addition offers a "live reload" option where one can make changes to a running debug instance of the application having already been deployed to the device.

As a fellow mobile game and app developer, I'll be keeping my eye on this game, and I wish you the best of luck! I'll submit an entry into the contest as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »