Home

Letter to ESPN Videogames: WRT College Football 2K5

This is a discussion on Letter to ESPN Videogames: WRT College Football 2K5 within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Letter to ESPN Videogames: WRT College Football 2K5

The following is an e-mail I sent to customer service at ESPN Videogames. If anyone knows a more appropriate e-mail to send it to, please let me know:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to send this, but if it's not is there a place to send suggestions like this?

-------------------------------------------------------
Greetings. My name is Robert Gamble and I love sports games on the consoles. Specifically, I love to play Sports Games in what I call 'GM Mode' which means I take control of every aspect of a team, except on the field. There I just set the game to CPU versus CPU and watch my team to see how the players I've brought in are doing. This colors what I look for in a game obviously.

Now I know that College Football 2K5 hasn't been announced, and for all I know might have been axed as an idea. But if there's any chance of it happening, I thought I'd offer my perspective as a person who thinks that EA Sports NCAA Football 2004 is the best sports game that I own.

You can make a game that I would buy in addition to, or even instead of EA Sports NCAA Football 2005. You can make this game relatively easily. Before I describe what I, and I believe many others, would look for in a game to warrant a purchase, I want to point out something else. The EA College football game is not yet an established franchise to the extent of Madden. But, more people have bought it this year than last, at least if message forums are any judge. Even people who really only like the NFL in real life are buying the college football game, and some of those like it much better than Madden because of the recruiting aspects and the atmosphere. However, I get the impression that this fan base is still susceptible to being swayed by a better game, unlike many of the Madden fans. They aren't as rabid, and they're quicker to point out flaws. If y'all wait more than a couple of years though, EA NCAA College Football might become as entrenched as Madden. If y'all act now, your ESPN NFL franchise might benefit, since there are some players who buy a pro game mostly as a career extender for their college players.

Ok, so there's the 'business' aspect. Now, what game do you have to make to get a solid piece of the NCAA Football game market? Simply put, combine the following:

1. From ESPN NFL Football 2K4: The beautiful stadiums, better choices of sliders and coaching gameplay options than EA and the more realistic gameplay on the field.

2. From College Hoops: The philosophy behind recruiting, namely that it lasts year around, the scouts/assistant coaches along with various abilities to recruit/scout, players asking you if they can come visit, the assistant coaches coming up with recruits you should go visit, and the ability to watch high school games (including all star games).

Don't throw the kitchen sink at the game. No need for the great new mode that no one's seen before, just produce a solid game in the mold of College Hoops, and you'll have a winner. Recruiting is the heart and soul of college football, and you've gotten it right for College Hoops. Get it right for a college football game, make the gameplay as solid as you have for ESPN Football, and you'll have at least one guaranteed buyer from me, and I think many more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #2
ADW
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Letter to ESPN Videogames: WRT College Football 2K5

I was told that they don't plan on producing a college football game anytime soon.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Letter to ESPN Videogames: WRT College Football 2K5

Their loss. I think NCAA Football 2003/2004 has shown that the market for the sport in video games is just being tapped and likely to continue going up. And I truly believe Sega could snag a good chunk of those EA NCAA Football fans by producing a relatively no frills, solid game like College Hoops. And I also believe it'll help push ESPN NFL Football due to draft classes.

However, my worst fear would be they agree with me at the last moment and put together a slapdash effort, so either I hope they've been planning for one for some time now and it kicks tail, or else I hope they wait until they can do it right.. But I really want College Football by Sega. Lots.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »