Home

Rashan Saalam to the CFL

This is a discussion on Rashan Saalam to the CFL within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2004, 06:06 PM   #17
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Rashan Saalam to the CFL

DONOVAN! You mention Tom Coughlin but fail to mention Marv Levy What an oversight. Oh yeah and Gunther Cunningham was also a CFL coach but um let's not mention him as he sucked in KC.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #18
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

SportsmanTO said:
DONOVAN! You mention Tom Coughlin but fail to mention Marv Levy What an oversight. Oh yeah and Gunther Cunningham was also a CFL coach but um let's not mention him as he sucked in KC.

lol im not going on any source here im just trying off the top of my head based on my own CFL knowledge lol so back off. But your right thats a big over sight. And I could make a huge list of players who are CFLers now and were either top NFL picks or had terrific seasons in the NFL but were salary cap cuts, after 3 seasons you have to pay them more than a rookie, therefore they dont get resigned. Often there fringe players but they still can play.

Jason Tucker is 9th alltime in NFL history for yardage in a game. Singor Mobley and Terry Ray both had 100 tackle seasons in the NFL. And while the Canadian talent is minimul there are guys like Jesse Palmer, Teyo Johnson, Steve Christei, Vanderjagt, Jerome Pathon, Kerry Carter, Tim Biakabatuka.

The CFL has 9 teams and basiclly has to fight for what the NFL doesnt get. The players play not for money obviously but for love of the game. With 9 teams how many players are going to transfer to the NFL each offseason? Usually around 12-15 tops. But the lack of talent isnt there, there are some amazing athletes, boring leagues dont last 91 years.

Plus what I really ind funny is at the superbowl the last 2 seasons when Canada, US, Japan and Maxico play in the High school football tournament with the nations best young players the Canadians have won 2 years in row now. How does that make sense? Plus we come south and play your rules, its a diffrent game up north. Try sending a team of americans here to play a game CFL rules lol, it wouldnt be pretty.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #19
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

What happened to that CFL/NFL agreement where the Grey Cup champ was suppose to play the NFL Europe champ?

As for the CFL players, while there are good in the CFL they aren't good enough for the NFL.

If Ricky Ray was so good, teams would be lining up to give him a huge signing bonus but that hasn't nor will it happen.

No American grows up dreaming of playing in the CFL, they all want the NFL.

Barrin Simpson who is arguably the best defensive player in the league said in the paper there was a lack of interest in his services (NFL) so he's returning to the Lions.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:39 PM   #20
MVP

Donovan's Arena

Quote:

asianflow said:
What happened to that CFL/NFL agreement where the Grey Cup champ was suppose to play the NFL Europe champ?
It never happened, it would have been great to see though.

As for the CFL players, while there are good in the CFL they aren't good enough for the NFL.

Well thats obviously not completly true seeing as some very good CFLers have gone on to the NFL. Also dont forget 1/3 of your team has to be Canadian born players.

If Ricky Ray was so good, teams would be lining up to give him a huge signing bonus but that hasn't nor will it happen.

Ray is very good, he has a weaker arm and has played 2 seasons in the CFL, he is not Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia or Doug Flutie but he had better stats his first 2 years than any of them and played on a worse team than Moon did.

No American grows up dreaming of playing in the CFL, they all want the NFL.

Of course but many great american college players have made a home in the CFL as players, coaches and fans. Because its not the best league in the world doesnt mean its irrelevant or a bush league.

Barrin Simpson who is arguably the best defensive player in the league said in the paper there was a lack of interest in his services (NFL) so he's returning to the Lions.

Barrin Simpson is 28 years old, and 5'11. Hes to small to play Linebacker in the NFL thats why hes not there. The CFL generally has smaller players but like Simpson being small doesnt make you a worse player or mean your less skilled.

If your going to post anything about the CFL at least know what your talking about, you come off as an arrogant know nothing. I dont think anyone here besides me has ever said the CFL is a better league than the NFL, and I say it because its what Iv grown up watching and because my family has had season tickets at reasonable prices for 47 years. The league is great, the rules are great, the players are great, just not by any means NFLers.

However like anywhere there are diamons in the rough, plenty of CFLers have shown that.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:42 PM   #21
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

I'm not bashing the CFL.

I use to have season tickets. I went to the 94 Grey Cup where BC beat Baltimore on the last sec field goal.

I actually know quite a bit about the CFL.

What a move by the Als to aquire Sanchez today after losing Woodcock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2004, 03:59 AM   #22
MVP

Donovan's Arena

Heres a guy i ddint know was in the CFL, Tom Nutten. Hes been the Jets starting RG for a few seasons now and one of there better players. He played some CFL ball for 3 seasons before going to NFLE and the Jets
Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

Just thought I'd add that Michael Jenkins has also been in camp twice with the Houston Texans, as I'm a Houston native and big Texans fan. Aside from that, I'm a huge CFL fan. I've been into the CFL since before Raghib Ismail went north. Until he went to the CFL, we didn't get any games down here. Now, with FOX Sports World and occasionally on ESPN2, we get some games. Me and a friend of mine have been into it for a while. I attended a small college and a lot of players that I watched at my school have played in the CFL. I also think that the CFL and NFL should have some sort of partnership, as I think it would benefit both leagues.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:05 PM   #24
MVP

Donovan's Arena

Quote:

TexansFanDC8 said:
Just thought I'd add that Michael Jenkins has also been in camp twice with the Houston Texans, as I'm a Houston native and big Texans fan. Aside from that, I'm a huge CFL fan. I've been into the CFL since before Raghib Ismail went north. Until he went to the CFL, we didn't get any games down here. Now, with FOX Sports World and occasionally on ESPN2, we get some games. Me and a friend of mine have been into it for a while. I attended a small college and a lot of players that I watched at my school have played in the CFL. I also think that the CFL and NFL should have some sort of partnership, as I think it would benefit both leagues.

well they have the NFL=CFL player transfer agreement. Thats why so many CFLers sign the customary year plus and option deal. If the option to jump to the NFL falls through they still have a contract with the club. The CFL doesnt get any compensation right now and the deal expires this yr, but they are in the clear with the money the NFL loaned them and with that paid back will be seeking some sort of retribution for players signing with NFL teams from now on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »