Home

Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

This is a discussion on Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:20 AM   #641
Rookie

OVR: 0
If there was a loophole, I could see 2k again chasing the license( which I'm surprised they haven't done anything mobile). If Microsoft is behind this, which they may be, to show off the power of this whole 10 mumbo. BTW anyone have concrete evidence that EA still carries the sole license, NO, so it's just as skeptical as all of the thread...things are changing, and it's about time, it's been too damn long and ANYTHING would be fresh right now but we need an NFL license, no doubt or it won't push sales beyond us. But seeing Madden is not on PC, that could be something although it could be a pretty tech demo/game for the new MS system, which I hope it's not. Trolling your fans is just going to make us think of arrogance and put our expectations so high, that if it's anything less, many will never touch it. This Grow guy better deliver

Last edited by xman2k; 03-09-2015 at 02:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2015, 02:23 AM   #642
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Joe Montana Football 16: A Mysterious Game Remains Under Wraps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
Not at all. This could be developed for PC, which has no bearing on it being an incomplete game and may actually mean it's a much better looking/running game, and can be played via the Windows 10 app on XBOX. That may be the loophole or technicality to get the NFL license. Maybe not.

One thing I don't think I saw anyone mention is that XBOX Live Gold won't be required to play multiplayer on Windows 10 Cross Platform games
Well. Again, don't let the expectations go overboard. When you make an app for the Windows store, there's a LOT of performance overhead to insure compatibility with compatible devices. THEN there's the "least common denominator" influence in terms of performance OR resources (memory/storage). Those are just the front row reasons. In the end, a Windows Store app, for the time being, is nowhere near a full on PC executable in terms of performance.

So, as I said about NBA Live 14 - guys, if there's actually a game, do NOT get your hopes up too high. Don't expect the world from this game. These people are irresponsibly over-hyping this thing if you ask me. To say it's going to blow Madden out of the water makes no sense. If they are still hiring, there's NO way anyone can make a football game on that level by July.

Last edited by Boilerbuzz; 03-09-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 AM   #643
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman2k
If there was a loophole, I could see 2k again chasing the license( which I'm surprised they haven't done anything mobile). If Microsoft is behind this, which they may be, to show off the power of this whole 10 mumbo. BTW anyone have concrete evidence that EA still carries the sole license, NO, so it's just as skeptical as all of the thread...things are changing, and it's about time, it's been too damn long and ANYTHING would be fresh right now but we need an NFL license, no doubt or it won't push sales beyond us
Proof is:

1. The NFL's preferred business model.
2. EA's preferred business model.
3. The fact that there was no announcement from EITHER party that the license is open - as there would be if that were the case. Considering EA is a publicly sold company, the loss of said license WOULD be publicly disclosed as it's a MAJOR bit of information that the stockholders have a right to know.
4. Read #3 again.
5. Read #3 again to let it sink in.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 AM   #644
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman2k
If there was a loophole, I could see 2k again chasing the license( which I'm surprised they haven't done anything mobile). If Microsoft is behind this, which they may be, to show off the power of this whole 10 mumbo. BTW anyone have concrete evidence that EA still carries the sole license, NO, so it's just as skeptical as all of the thread...things are changing, and it's about time, it's been too damn long and ANYTHING would be fresh right now but we need an NFL license, no doubt or it won't push sales beyond us. But seeing Madden is not on PC, that could be something although it could be a pretty tech demo/game for the new MS system, which I hope it's not. Trolling your fans is just going to make us think of arrogance and put our expectations so high, that if it's anything less, many will never touch it. This Grow guy better deliver
EA isn't going to come out and say we don't have an exclusive agreement any more. The NFL and NFLPA won't come out and broadcast it because they don't want to damage the relationship with EA.

Maybe someone wants to do some digging and call up the NFL and NFLPA and see if you can get them to confirm the exclusive contract or not.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 03-09-2015, 02:38 AM   #645
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm not following, so IF the whole "app" premise was used as a means by which to add NFL licensing to JM16, while using Windows 10 to make it playable on Xbox One, that's a bad thing and/or means it can't be a complete game? I for one don't care what it's labeled, as long as I can play a complete football game on PC and/or a console.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
Not at all. This could be developed for PC, which has no bearing on it being an incomplete game and may actually mean it's a much better looking/running game, and can be played via the Windows 10 app on XBOX. That may be the loophole or technicality to get the NFL license. Maybe not.

One thing I don't think I saw anyone mention is that XBOX Live Gold won't be required to play multiplayer on Windows 10 Cross Platform games
Universal app or not, this isn't a loophole. The only hope of it being an NFL game is if there's only 3rd party exclusivity or it's mobile + PC. Downloading and playing a game on an Xbox One makes that distribution by definition a console game, regardless of other platforms or development environments.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2015, 02:39 AM   #646
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbmolina
There is nothing small budget about an NFL licensed console game. That license costs tens of millions.
Except, the promotional budget a project has set aside is not part of the NFL license. The only relation the two have, is that after spending on the NFL license, you may have less money to spend on promotion, hence my point.

2K's football games, even NFL 2K5, were known for having smaller budget approaches to promoting their games, and developing them, in comparison to Madden at least. It was one of the things that made 2K football's development so special and remarkable that they were able to produce that kind of quality with so less resources than their competitor. Also, kind of embarrassing for their competitor, but I digress...
Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 AM   #647
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Do people not understand that the NFL license has NOT been exclusive on secondary platforms the WHOLE time? That's why you would see non-EA NFL games on mobile devices. The ONLY thing that likely could have changed is the PC side of things. But, has anyone considered the possibility that this "PC" title is actually web-based?
I was just thinking about that earlier today and QuickHit popped up in my thoughts. My thoughts were a little crazier though. I started thinking about the possibility of it being a game that worked on a PC browser, XBOX One browser and PS4 browser. Then I remembered how crummy games run on the PS4 browser, better on XBOX One's browser but still not as good as a PC-based one. But assuming they could make it work properly somehow, they could be browser based games with an online component that would be in the same vein that QuickHit NFL was able to exist in.

Quote:
Are anyone of you ready to believe this 100% really looking at the facts here? What is this guys background? How would this benefit the NFL? Loosening the agreement only gives EA an excuse to reduce it's payout. EA AND the NFL are lawyer heavy. There are NEVER loopholes they don't know about. This guy has NO NFL pedigree and Joe Montana has no video game or marketing pedigree. So, ANY thought that this game would be able to compete with Madden when it is supposed to be out in July (after being in "early" development in December) is absolute insanity.
You make some good points. Only thing I can see here is that without having seen the contract it's impossible to say what's exactly in it. Over the years people have offered lots of conjecture about its language, but that's it, none of us have actually seen it.

So in saying that, I say that if this first-party stipulation were to be true, it wouldn't be a loophole at all. It would just be something clearly stated that no one has utilized, and considering that there are only 2 main console makers (Sony and Microsoft) that would've even cared to attempt an NFL game on their own, and the fact that a good-quality console NFL game costs quite a bit to produce, in that scenario it's totally understandable that it may not have been utilized until internal conditions were deemed as the right time. Plus, I could imagine Joe Montana showing up at your office to discuss making an NFL game would carry a lot of weight to getting you on board if you were a decision-maker at Sony or Microsoft.

All speculation though, none of it may be true.

Quote:
IF there is a game, it's a social game and/or collectible card game that you can play on mobile or any web-capable device. Completely fits with all of his hints. Anything more is extrapolation and wishful thinking. And to be such a secret project, he sure has a big mouth for a guy that should be in trouble with his boss for talking too much. Because that's all he's doing. If this is their marketing strategy, they are screwed.
If that turns out to be the case, whoa. It's going to get very, very ugly.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 AM   #648
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I don't like all this cryptic stuff. "Not PC only" I mean come on, who talks like that? That could be interpreted in so many ways. We just spent pages trying to figure out what this means. I bet this guy is having a good laugh at our expense right now.

No disrespect is meant to Grow, but I would like to see him be a little more forthright and less cryptic.
Agreed. And like BoilerBuzz said which mirrors something I was saying earlier in this thread; it's probably better to disappear for a while if you have nothing substantial that you can say at the moment, rather than staying in plain sight and being cryptic. If they're planning a blowout, nothing leading up to that will have mattered anyway, so it seems rather pointless to keep charading.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »