Home

Give Us XFL 2K!!!

This is a discussion on Give Us XFL 2K!!! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Give Us XFL 2K!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
No offense, but I hated the legends aspect. I think 2K went backwards in a lot of ways in that game, especially with Field Pass. But the legends were a big turnoff for me.
Me too. I respect the legends and impact they had on game, but It's to a degree.

The problem legends approach is that it severely limited what they could do. You can't have a Franchise/multi-season mode with legends. There's no real way you can structure a mode around legends that lasts more than one season. Then Even If it did make it another game release, then what. All they could have did was try to add more legends

They would have been better off just going full generic/fiction rosters. But problem with that is that it is hard to market that. Unless you have great social media promotion from athletes or game isn't traditional football(like Blitz), it won't garner enough attention. But I believe a fully generic traditional football game could be a great game. With generic rosters, it gives you more creativity and don't have to worry about hurt athlete feelings. Besides low ratings/skills, weaknesses are rarely ever highlighted. Like Imagine in APF having a negative ability like 'Quick Sand" where if you have a bigger back who isn't agile and you try to be elusive, his stamina drops. Having generics rosters would allow for more creative freedom. You'll just need in-depth customization. But companies won't invest in some thing that might not sell well and traditionally non-licensed sports games don't sell well
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2020, 03:32 AM   #26
Pro

OVR: 14

I would really hope they have a little more imagination in regards actually having a franchise mode. The reason the apf sold okay is because it had no longevity. Not putting a franchise mode killed that game. It's still around and gets played but not as much as it could due to now franchise mode. It seem like no one could think outside the box how to implement a franchise mode around a game that included legends. I thought of a least one concept myself. By having all the legends/all pros "de-aged" to like 28, where they're young enough where ratings won't regress immediately but old enough to know they will begin to regress in at least two to three years. Also as ratings are concerned, once franchise is started, gold rated players would have a rating any where from 86-99, silver from 75-85 and bronze from 65 to 74 and etc...while players keep traits "quick release..." salaries would be automatically generated. The option to take teams with their players into franchise as in like "play now" or a fantasy draft, of default teams and rosters or even custom rosters. The college schools for draft.... simple fictional.schools "Uni of South Texas...etc.." And everything else"weekly sports show recap"..could be implemented like in 2k5 with slight changes. If they release a xfl game without franchise mode it will fail again, there is a way to get franchise nmode done as the xfl as well. But maybe the two years of XFL to see if how the off season done..free agency, draft makes. The first thing I would do for the Franchise is to make sure there's an option for to add up 22 randomly generated or custom teams, to have a fully fleshed out league of 30 teams. Any way great video. I've talked enough.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
They pay them $50 million annually for exclusive rights to the NFL brand and NFLPA. You want to pony that much up if you're another company?
I'd like to see 2K try for just a license from the NFLPA. Offer them $20 million for the rights to the players names and likenesses (past and present). Yeah, they couldn't use the actual NFL team names, logos, or exact uniforms, but the players would all be real.

Playing as the Miami Sharks with the actual roster of the Miami Dolphins would be just as much fun for me as a full NFL license.

As for the XFL? If this first season goes well, I could see 2K working on a game for 2022. Maybe they could have a basic game ready for 2021, but they'd need to get started in the next month or so.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #28
Rookie

olliedathird's Arena

OVR: 0

The first XFL game would basically be an APF reskin. I don't even see customization being in it
Old 02-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #29
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliedathird
The first XFL game would basically be an APF reskin. I don't even see customization being in it
Well to be fair, it is hard to see anything about a game that doesn't even exist yet.

But let's play into the hypothetical. If 2K is good at anything, they are good at learning their lessons on past mistakes. I think it would be incredibly negligent of them to:
  1. Not to look at how customizable the NBA 2K series has been and implement at least some of that to a football game.
  2. See that one of the key reasons for APF not selling well was because of the lack of customization

Again, we're talking about a game that exists only in our imaginations currently.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #30
Rookie

olliedathird's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
Well to be fair, it is hard to see anything about a game that doesn't even exist yet.

But let's play into the hypothetical. If 2K is good at anything, they are good at learning their lessons on past mistakes. I think it would be incredibly negligent of them to:
  1. Not to look at how customizable the NBA 2K series has been and implement at least some of that to a football game.
  2. See that one of the key reasons for APF not selling well was because of the lack of customization

Again, we're talking about a game that exists only in our imaginations currently.
I just want another football game, man.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2020, 11:50 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme

We all want an alternative high quality football game. We don't have as many publisher options as we did in the PS2/Xbox era. As cost of development, many publishers don't want to take the risk unless it is a surefire success. Then it is the prospect of going head to head with Madden. It would take years just to get to a competitive level. Then the Madden brand is so valuable alone, that it will sell well regardless. Like I said, not that many publisher options. Sports in general has so few publisher options nowadays. We have just EA, 2k, San Diego, PES as the major publishers. I think 2k gives XFL the best chance of a quality football game with it's past history and resources. 2k has put its eggs all in on NBA 2k, but has shown they wanted to get back in the football market. But with APF, it showed them that they prefer to wait for a licensed title.

I'm sure they learned from their mistakes. It depends on how much effort they put towards it. It obviously wouldn't get as much attention as NBA 2k, but if it can get enough detail, it can be a quality game. They would have to add more customization compared to APF. XFL 2k would need to add more depth. The XFL games should be a lot quicker in game since the clock almost always runs. So online games should be quick as well. A good Online option is a Overtime Shootout mode. Just use the Overtime rules as a online mode. That's a mode that can completed in like 5 minutes. Quick fun modes are key for sports games. That would be a good mode. A XFL game would have to capitalize on the in-access presentation format. If it can get back to level of quality gameplay of APF and get depth, that's a good start
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

With the announced 2k and NFL partnership, I expect that takes 2k out of the XFL market. I wouldn't see a company developing two difference licensed same sport game. Which reduces the chances of a major XFL game. I don't think a indie published XFL game would be received well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »