Home

Keeping XOR's NFL Challenge Alive with Something Really Nice!

This is a discussion on Keeping XOR's NFL Challenge Alive with Something Really Nice! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Keeping XOR's NFL Challenge Alive with Something Really Nice!

We had a league with the original version of this game back in 1985. It was a lot of fun.

Is there a way to have folders for different seasons, or does the game only use the teams that are in the same directory as the nfl.exe?

I found the manual (includes the playbook): https://videofootballleague.com/docs/nflchal.pdf

Also, a heads up to anyone looking to use the historic seasons. I had to tweak them, as (some/many/all?) teams did not have the required 49 players, and they were also missing starters (e.g. the Punter).

Last edited by bbgeek; 08-02-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgeek
We had a league with the original version of this game back in 1985. It was a lot of fun.

Is there a way to have folders for different seasons, or does the game only use the teams that are in the same directory as the nfl.exe?

I found the manual (includes the playbook): https://videofootballleague.com/docs/nflchal.pdf

Also, a heads up to anyone looking to use the historic seasons. I had to tweak them, as (some/many/all?) teams did not have the required 49 players, and they were also missing starters (e.g. the Punter).
It was fun back in the day for sure, we were playing it around 1984 and it was something in its day.

You can have different seasons in folders BUT you do have to replicate all the game files as it is hard coded to run of NFL.exe and find the teams in the same folder that file is in. But if you do that (replicate the game in various folders you can name them whatever you like (NFL1988 for instance) and when you launch the game via DosBox you just call that folder up to play the game and season you want.

The 'historic' seasons on offer here are a great effort but, yes, they are alittle inaccurate, as I mentioned above often the team's best receiver is at WR3 and that is a very limited position if you run the game AI vs AI. I guess you could call a lot of passing plays involving the WR3 manually but there are only four so that would be limiting.

Some further game 'requirements' are that it must have two designated centers (C) in the lineup else it will crash if the starter gets injured. Also, you don't need 49 players to run the game, 49 is the maximum but you can run it successfully all the way down to about the mid-30s but injuries can compromise the outcomes. 40 or thereabouts is often all you need.

See my comments earlier about the DIME defender and the WR3 position.

Last edited by zonecadet; 09-15-2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #27
Rookie

I used to have the NFL Dream Season disk (ESPN), NFL Greatest Teams that was released in 1990, not the version you're asking for, and the 1987 season.

Threw them out years ago, never thought I'd use them again.

Ouch. Sorry.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #28
Rookie

Also, did you know there was going to be an NFL Challenge Premium Edition? I seem to remember it had Mark Rypien on the cover. The company was taking preorders to the game, but then they shut down. People who paid the preorder fee were out of money, apparently.

Also, want a completed pass? Throw to the TE. It's a bug.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:34 PM   #29
Rookie

Yes to the Premium edition, was going to have a lot of 'improvements' with my favourite being the Run and Shoot offense. As for the TE, I only ever run game AI vs AI as I simulate seasons, but yes, the TE catches a lot of passes along with the FB...
Old 08-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #30
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
Icon9 Re: Keeping XOR's NFL Challenge Alive with Something Really Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1980
Also, did you know there was going to be an NFL Challenge Premium Edition? I seem to remember it had Mark Rypien on the cover. The company was taking preorders to the game, but then they shut down. People who paid the preorder fee were out of money, apparently.

Also, want a completed pass? Throw to the TE. It's a bug.
So you didn't read all the posts. I commented on this the previous page. Again, I wonder how much money was prepaid and where did it go. I remember calling their customer service almost daily looking for updates.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
So you didn't read all the posts. I commented on this the previous page. Again, I wonder how much money was prepaid and where did it go. I remember calling their customer service almost daily looking for updates.
Wow, no need to be rude.

I was thinking of going through the attic to find the backups I have for the NFL Dream Season, 1987 Season and Best of Each Franchise (1990 based). But if people are going to be like this, I'll just move on.

Wow.

Last edited by apollo1980; 08-12-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #32
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1980
Wow, no need to be rude.

I was thinking of going through the attic to find the backups I have for the NFL Dream Season, 1987 Season and Best of Each Franchise (1990 based). But if people are going to be like this, I'll just move on.

Wow.
Actually I wasn't, sorry if offended.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »