Home

Data-Driven Football

This is a discussion on Data-Driven Football within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2021, 09:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Data-Driven Football

If you are looking for a true NFL simulation game that plays great solitaire or head to head give Data-Driven Football a try. The game's competitive advantage is every regular season play is captured and analyzed to represent each team's strengths and weaknesses in an innovative way. For more on how the game is produced take a look at the process:
http://datadrivenfootball.com/designprocess.html

The game available in board game format --- hard copy or on Tabletop Simulator https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2204641346 --- or there is a PC game as well.

There is a free PC demo OR a download with draft copies of the Super Bowl 55 teams and all the materials needed to try the board game.

The free download is available on the website:
http://www.datadrivenfootball.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
Rookie

diamok's Arena

Re: Data-Driven Football

Is this a replay game only, or does it generate random players for drafting and so on?

Also, you make it sound like the game is free, when all I see is a free demo which requires me to contact DDF via email to obtain said free demo. Just wondering if there is actually a free version of the game for download or not.

Cheers,
Old 02-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #3
Rookie

This game is team level game that I update each year so no individual players.

I do offer a free demo of the board game. The download link is on the home page, but to save you the time here is the link:
http://www.datadrivenfootball.com/do...rBowlTeams.zip

I also offer a free PC game demo that requires an email hence the the contact request. If that is of interest then just shoot me an email and I will send the install instructions.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:46 AM   #4
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

What does this offer that NFL Head Coach 09 doesn't?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #5
Rookie

NFL Coach is one game that I am not familiar with, but I would say this and it applies to any game.

Because DDF represents every play from regular season as inputs to the game engine the realism and playability are on another level.

Most games use a formula based on aggregate statistics (because capturing the detail requires the play by play data and/or watching the game --- like I do, very time consuming).

Take the simple example of a running play or running back that gains 4 yards per play. With only this piece of information the designer does not know if the specific outcomes were 4,4,4,4,4,4,4 OR 0,4,8,5,3,-6,14 --- knowing the specific outcomes has a huge impact on realism. Having the specific plays that calculate the average is far more valuable than the average, because without them you have to "guess" what the outcomes should be hence the formula approach.

DDF does not do this... the specific play by play outcomes are mapped into the game engine to represent team performance. The unique game engine is designed in such a way that both teams are influencing outcomes equally.

This is DDF's competitive advantage.

DDF also offers the perfect balance between realism/simulation, playability (both head to head AND solitaire), playing time (50-75 mins depending on advanced rule usage) and fun!

Download the Super Bowl 55 teams and give the game a try. I posted the Super Bowl teams the weekend before the game and a total 13 games were played by community members. TB was 9-4 and TB's average score from the 13 games matched the actual score. Margin of victory was less. See below...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2591002/super-bowl-55-preview-data-driven-football

Posted, (edited)
I have been keeping track of these pre-plays. This is what we have so far, including the above results:
Bucs 34 - Chiefs 55
Bucs 30 - Chiefs 24 (OT)
Bucs 27 - Chiefs 20
Bucs 28 - Chiefs 24
Bucs 34 - Chiefs 31
Bucs 31 - Chiefs 32
Bucs 22 - Chiefs 28
Bucs 37 - Chiefs 20
Bucs 35 - Chiefs 32
Bucs 31 - Chiefs 27

Average Score:
Bucs 31 - Chiefs 30
Bucs (7-3) - Chiefs (3-7)

Last edited by RPisarzJr; 02-11-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2021, 09:01 AM   #6
MVP

HC0023's Arena

OVR: 5

Welcome Ron glad you made it here 🤠

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »