Home

Data-Driven Football - '20 NFL Season Now Available

This is a discussion on Data-Driven Football - '20 NFL Season Now Available within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Data-Driven Football - '20 NFL Season Now Available

The '20 NFL season by DDF is now available!
http://datadrivenfootball.com/

DDF is a great retrospective simulation game that is great either solitaire or head to head.

As part of the design process DDF simulates 100s of seasons.

I am including min/max/avg win-loss and playoff analysis showing the range of outcomes the engine produces. Some great stuff! The data shows the results of the final two sets of 100 simulated seasons.
Attached Images
File Type: png WLAnalysisSet1.PNG (119.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: png POffAnalysisSet1.PNG (73.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: png WLAnalysisSet2.PNG (120.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: png POffAnalysisSet2.PNG (62.8 KB, 80 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Re: Data-Driven Football - '20 NFL Season Now Available

I always wondered how you exploit coverages in the text based games?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #3
Rookie

Before I answer let me provide some background about the game's design.

Whether playing offense or defense exploiting your opponent (which probably better describes the offensive side but roll with me) is a key to victory.

For a give game situation meaning your team, your opponents team, score, field position, etc. you have a set of choices that have a risk/reward incentive attached to them. If run inside this is the range of outcomes, if I throw short, etc. Similar on defense... if I want to best defend inside runs it will be at the risk of opening sideline passes or whatever (the risk reward is different based on each team's strengths and weaknesses --- which are based on actual performance).

Each player makes their choice based on the situation and risk/reward incentives... in theory, every choice you make you want the outcome to go in your favor, and in the game your choices influence the outcome.

Die rolls introduce variability to represent player execution... so maybe you make what normally is a good play choice but execute poorly and fail, etc.

So really, exploiting your opponent comes down to making choices in every circumstance that benefit you and seeing what the game engine returns.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #4
Rookie

TheButter's Arena

Ok, that makes sense. But say the defense is playing a cover 2, and I want to either get the post between the safeties, or a HB quick out vs the OLB. Is their a way to play under those variables?

CPU teams stole your successful plays in your playbook and added them to their playbooks. That feature met with college playbooks from incoming college coaches and user created plays birthed a new meta evolution for playcallers across the NFL.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
Rookie

DDF is a team-based game engine. Play choices on both sides of the ball are player agnostic --- you are not choosing HB quick out as in your example. So, no this game does not offer that player level choices.

Instead you are choosing short pass, and the defense is choosing either a Nickel or Dime pass defense formation, scheme not withstanding.

There are nine offensive plays and six formations to choose from. The interaction of the play and formation selection is what determines the range of outcomes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #6
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

For any veterans of either Paydirt or Bowl Bound from Avalon Hill, I can highly recommend Data Driven Football.

It takes the ease and simplicity of the Avalon Hill games to another level using the mounds of data available. I know that Ron uses GamePass and watches every single play of every game to ensure that each team's play calling charts are accurate.

It's available in board game format or PC. I really like the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »