Home

South Africa's Lesser Half - Journey to the Top of Super 14

This is a discussion on South Africa's Lesser Half - Journey to the Top of Super 14 within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

OVR: 16
South Africa's Lesser Half - Journey to the Top of Super 14

When it comes to Rugby, everyone who has a sense of the sport know whom the top 3 nations are. The All-Blacks of New Zealand, the Wallabies of Australia, and the Springboks of South Africa. Those same people may also know that one of the fiercest league competitions in Rugby involves 14 teams from these 3 nations. All of the teams compete hoping for a chance of glory, except one. The Lions of South Africa, or maybe they should be called by their original name The Cats, somehow managed to go from last place in 2008 to 12th place in 2009. now if this were the English Premier League or the Tour de France 12th would be a respectable comeback, not when it is the Super 14.

The Lions are a constant team to never be reckoned with and the organizers of the league are considering a relegation system for teams that fail to perform and the Lions are near the top of the list of teams to be replaced! They have 13 games to prove themselves worthy to stay in the league or else they will all be out of jobs.

Team Roster as of now
Lions Roster.png

Last edited by Lecrae; 06-22-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

Re: South Africa's Lesser Half - Journey to the Top of Super 14

Round 1 vs Western Force
Ellis Park Stadium
Johannesburg, South Africa
February 2, 2010

Lions.pngWestern Force.png
Ellis Park Stadium, Johannessburg South Africa .png

Lions Escape With Win Despite Late Comeback
by Koos van der Merwe
Mail & Guardian

On Monday, all that was being said was that in all likelihood the Lions would show up in uniform but perform in costume. The next day however, as unlikely as it was, the Lions came away as the victors 31-28. A Herkie Kruger drop goal in the second half proved to be too much for the Force to overcome, scoring 2 tries in the last few minutes of the game while trailing by 17.

Several times both teams were able to break behind only to be stopped by each other's fullbacks who consistently made great tackles. The Lions dominated line outs and managed to score off several in the second half. Knock-ons were a thorn in the Lion's paw as several times scrums were awarded near the Lion's Den and led to many scoring opportunities that kept the Force in the game.

Overall the team performed well, although there were some holes in defense as at times the opposition were able to "Waltz" past the goal line. Another area of concern were the constant turnovers especially while being tackled. Coach Dick Muir had this to say about the club's performance.

"Well we did get a positive result today and that is all that matters. I was a bit scared but luckily time was called right after the final try and conversion. We just want to continue this momentum into next week's game in Cape Town against the Stormers."

The Stormers last game was a lost to last year's last place team the Cheetahs. Other results from Round 1 include narrow victories for everyone, 13-12 Blues over Crusaders, 13-10 Hurricanes over Brumbies, 10-9 Highlanders over Sharks, 15-13 Waratahs over Bulls, and the biggest defeat was the Reds over the Chiefs 19-9. Next week's game of the week will be at a neutral site in New Zealand as the Chiefs and Crusaders go at it.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Pro

rhysyboy's Arena

OVR: 6

Fantastic!! a rugby dynasty, good luck Lecrae!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

Thanks, I would do more right now but I am about to get off and do some much needed class work that I am falling behind in a little (well falling behind in the sense that I want to be done in about a week and a half so I can go to Louisiana). I might have another one or two done tonight though, it just takes so long to edit the video right when my laptop used a lot of ram running FM10, Rugby 08, and I accidently recorded the game in 60 fps at full size. Plus by the time they finally upload (which is the only reason I love WLMM, it can upload directly to Youtube after converting) though I have everything written and just have to wait for processing so I can get the embed code.

tl;dr - Thanks, more later
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Nice idea for a dynasty. Good luck.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

Round 2 at Stormers
Newlands Stadium
Cape Town, South Africa
February 9, 2010

Lions Lead 20-0 at Half! Lose 21-20?
by Koos van der Merwe
Mail & Guardian Online

3 missed drop goals and giving up 3 straight tries of which 1 did not even require a pass. In the term of the first 2 games of the tournament the Lions went from a possible Greek football team from EURO 2008, to their former, almost despicable selves. Kruger, whose drop goal last week was the difference maker in a narrow victory that almost ended up like this one, missed a drop goal to either side of the posts.

They did take my advise from last week's column and worked on their turnovers, and instead decided to get worse in line outs! Another thing is the teams forwards are constantly getting into fights with opposing players early in the game, it won't be long before the referees get annoyed and crack down on the team's behavior.

After the match, Coach "Dick" wouldn't even say hello, or wish we did better, or say hi to your mother for me. He snaked himself out the back with a car waiting to pick him up.

As for the rest of the tournament; Force beat Highlanders 34-24, Reds over Hurricanes 9-6, Sharks won a late one against Cheetahs 13-6, Bulls soundly defeated Brumbies 28-5, Chiefs beat Crusaders 20-8, and finally in our Match to Watch Blues utterly decimated Waratahs 68-15. Next rounds' Match to Watch is Hurricanes and Crusaders in Wellington, New Zealand. The Lions, if they decide to show up, will take on Sharks at home.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
Nice idea for a dynasty. Good luck.
Thanks, vid should be finished processing soon, if it won't play I will re-embed it.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
MVP

Lecrae's Arena

[quote=Lecrae;2041216434]
Round 3 vs Sharks
Ellis Park Stadium
Johannesburg, South Africa
February 17, 2010

Lions Seek Better Finish, Blow Out Sharks
by Koos van der Merwe
Mail & Guardian Online

After the Lions had terrible finishing during last weeks narrow loss to the Stormers, Coach Muir's focus during practice this week has been purely stamina. But who needs stamina when you win 34-3?

Chavanga has proven to be the Lions' key player, adding 2 more tries to his total this season. Kruger had trouble getting the extra points from the edge of the field, although he was perfect on drop goals. One can only question how long this string of good play, for the most part, can continue? Is it possible for the Lions to be as good as they were in 2000 or 2001 when they reached the semi finals?

Coach Muir was ecstatic throughout the match, jumping up and down like a child getting his first pet rock. When he finally calmed down, we gave him a lollipop if he promised to be a good boy and answer our questions, he told us that, "The team was terrific today, we dominated them on defense and outsmarted them on offense. I honestly don't think there were any problems and I think my first year here is going great!"

Highlanders over Waratahs 16-9, Brumbies beat the Blues 19-10, the Cheetahs dominated the Force 29-3, the Bulls used drop goals to overcome the Reds 19-10, Stormers scored late to beat the Chiefs 13-9, and in our Match of Watch, Crusaders proved too much for the Hurricanes winning 19-9. The high scoring Lions ,who are now in first place, take on the defensive-minded Cheetahs next week while our Match to Watch will be Bulls and Stormers as they fight to stay near the top of the table.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »