Home

Road To South Africa - Lesotho (WC2010 - PS3)

This is a discussion on Road To South Africa - Lesotho (WC2010 - PS3) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Road To South Africa - Lesotho (WC2010 - PS3)

March 1st, 2008

Verde appointed Lesotho Manager

Lesotho have never qualified for a World Cup Finals tournament

Relatively unknown Canadian manager Carlos Verde has been given the reins in Lesotho, a country of just over 2 million people which is completely surrounded by South Africa.

Lesotho have never made the tournament finals of either a World Cup or an African Cup of Nations tournament, and are viewed as complete underdogs going into World Cup 2010 Qualifying.

"I feel that since the country is already surrounded by South Africa, why shouldn't it compete in it during the 2010 World Cup?" quipped a cheery Verde at the small press conference in Maseru yesterday.

He faces a monumental task if he wants to take the Crocodiles, given just a half-star rating in last month's edition of Around the World in Football (FIFA), to the World Cup Finals in two years' time.

Lesotho have been drawn into one of the two three-team groups out of the twelve preliminary groups in Africa, one featuring Angola, a newcomer onto the elite footballing scene in Africa who went to the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany. Malawi rounds out the group as a bit of a dark horse, having not played a competitive match in over two years going into qualifying.

"My goal is not set in stone, it is not, 'Qualify or fail,' or anything ridiculous like that, I just want my squad to make their country proud. Lesotho is a small, cultured country, and deserves to be seen as such on the continental and international football level. We've got some talent here, we just need to implement a system which works for us."

Verde will have quite a task, however, as only the first place team in each of the twelve preliminary groups will advance to the 2nd round, meaning the Mosotho will have to outperform Angola over four games, a tough task for anyone in Africa, let anyone Lesotho.

Lesotho Schedule
March 26th, 2008 - v. Mauritius
May 22nd, 2008 - v. Swaziland
May 31st, 2008 - @ New Zealand
June 8th, 2008 - v. Angola
June 15th, 2008 - v. Malawi
June 21st, 2008 - @ Malawi
June 28th, 2008 - @ Lebanon
July 20th, 2008 - v. Mauritania
July 24th, 2008 - @ Seychelles
August 20th, 2008 - v. Chad
August 30th, 2008 - @ Kenya
September 7th, 2008 - v. Malta
September 10th, 2008 - v. Singapore October 11th, 2008 - @ Angola
Bold indicates Qualifier.

Lesotho (4-3-2-1)
GK
Sam Ketsekile (50)
Lekunutu Tseounyane (46)

DEF
Lehlohonolo Seema (65)
Thapelo Mokhele (57)
Mohapi Ntobo (55)
Bokang Mothoana (55)
Khoto Sesinyi (55)
Bushi Moletsane (54)
Thabo Masualle (53)
Seilo Muso (53)
Lengana Nkhethoa (52)
Mpitsa Marai (51)
Nkau Lerotholi (46)

MID
Lebajoa Mphongoa (60)
Thulo Ranchobe (53)
Tatolo Mphuthing (53)
Tsepo Lekhoana (52)
Tsoloane Mosakeng (51)
Moli Lesesa (50)
Motlalepula Mofolo (49)

Mpho Matsinyane (47)

FWD
Reitumetse Moloisane (55)
Mojela Letsie (54)
Thabane Rankara (52)
Ramashalane Taeli (52)
Ngo Makama (49)
Thapelo Tale (49)

"Obviously we can't compete talent-wise with teams like Egypt and South Africa on a game-in, game-out basis, but our boys have some skills of their own. Four of our players play in South Africa, two play in Botswana, I feel we've got enough talent to procede from this group."

Personal note - I just got this game last week for the bargain basement price of $2.99. Looked forward to doing a nice, detailed Canada series, but then I remembered how awesome bhurst's was and I didn't want to challenge/compete with that. So, here we go with Lesotho, a 0.5* team with no rating over 53! I'm playing on Pro, so even if I somehow make it past round one, there is a very VERY minimal chance I will make the World Cup. Cheers!

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)

Last edited by Canada_Carlos_Ball; 11-17-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Rookie

Lesotho 0, Mauritius 0

Lesotho Dominate, Can't Find Net
Outclass Mauritius, Ammomoothoo saves Mauritians

Lesotho were all over Mauritius from the very start of the match, as Mojela Letsie hit the crossbar on a freekick for the hosts in the 2nd minute.

The Crocodiles continued to attack, and appeared to have won a penalty in the 9th minute when Reitumetse Moloisane was brought down while shooting inside the Mauritius 18-yard box.

However, the referee failed to call what was in most objective viewers' eyes an obvious penalty to the anger of the partisan crowd.

Mphongoa nearly buried Letsie's rebound in the 32nd minute, but Mauritius keeper Ammomoothoo tipped the ball just enough to deflect it off of the goal post, denying Lesotho a lead yet again.

The teams went to break locked at nil-nil, though Lesotho had outshot the visitors 9-0.

The 2nd half was more of the same, with the final thirty minutes being spent exclusively in Mauritius' half, with Letsie, Moloisane and co. missing multiple glorious chances.

In the 87th minute, frustrated by Ammomoothoo's repeated spectacular diving saves, Lesotho seemed to break through when Thulo Ranchobe's long ball was taken by Letsie and slotted past Ammomoothoo, however the play was called back due to an offside.

The match ended 0-0, though Lesotho flexed their creative muscles in the midfield in this match.

"Sure we could have taken three points from that match, but at the end of the day it's a friendly, and friendlies are for revealing cracks in your squad. We clearly need to work on our finishing, as we outshot Mauritius 23-nil and failed to find the net, legally...Yes we were probably robbed of a penalty chance in the 9th minute, but referee's are subjective, as is everything in football. Today was just one of those days where everything went against us, from the ref, to the bounces, to the opposing keeper, to an offside late. We'll get back to training, and rest assured our finishing will be better next time out in May against Swaziland," commented Lesotho manager Verde post-game.
Next up is a match in May against neighbors Swaziland, yet again at Setsoto Stadium in Maseru. The squad will then have one more friendly after that in New Zealand against the Oceania-favorite All Whites before embarking on their qualifying journey.

Last edited by Canada_Carlos_Ball; 11-10-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Rookie

Lesotho 2, Swaziland 0

Crocodiles Dominate Lowly Swaziland
Massive difference in talent level

Lesotho again dominated a match from start to finish, but this time, they got the proper result and finished enough chances to close out a victory.

Thabane Rankara got the ball rolling in the 18th minute, when he finished off a nice cross from Mohapi Ntobo with a crisp header just inside the post.

Lesotho missed numerous opportunities throughout the first half, including an absolute sitter from Mojela Letsie which rolled inches past an unguarded Swaziland goal.

Reitumetse Moloisane doubled the hosts' lead in the 68th minute when he made a fantastic run down the left flank, and with one deft flick of the boot, nutmeg'd a Swaziland defender, came in clear on goal, and cracked a shot off the far post and in, scoring one of the nicest goals ever in a Lesotho international match.

The game finished without further incident, Lesotho content to just play with the ball in the midfield.

Next up for Lesotho will be their first big test, as they travel to Wellington to take on New Zealand, Oceania-favorites to go to the World Cup.

"I thought it was another solid performance, and we did capitalize on some chances this game, as promised, but we also missed two or three sitters and need to be more efficient and opportunistic on offense. Our midfield is creating tons of chances for us, our strikers just haven't finished," reflected a deep-in-thought Lesotho manager post-game.

"That team's good, they've got some pace up front, and that Moloisane can really play," praised Swaziland manager Valere Billen after the match.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Rookie

New Zealand 0, Lesotho 2

Lesotho Gain Worldwide Attention
Beat Oceania favorites handily in Wellington

Africa take note; Lesotho are here and they are a very real threat to their qualifying group.

Coming off of a dominant 2-nil victory against Swaziland last week, the Crocodiles visited Wellington for their first real test in over two years.

Leading goalscorer Moloisane was on form yet again for Lesotho, and in the 7th minute he nearly gave them an early lead when he half-volleyed a cross over the New Zealand crossbar.

The first half featured a lot of feeling-out on the parts of both teams, with Moloisane's early effort being the closest the match came to a goal in the first 45 minutes.

Lesotho veteran Mojela Letsie gave the Crocodiles a shock 1-nil lead in the 59th minute when he stripped New Zealand defender Boxall of the ball inside his own 18, deftly beat a defender, and curled a well-placed shot past Paston to make it 1-0 for the visitors.

New Zealand never really threatened in the final half hour, as Lesotho were content to retain possession and pass the ball around the midfield.

Lesotho sealed their impressive victory in the 90th minute, when Thulo Ranchobe volleyed a corner off the goalpost and into the net for a spectacular goal.

"Well I don't think there is any doubt we were the better side on the day. We're heading in the right direction heading into qualifying, we've just got to get results, and I think we can," Lesotho manager Verde confidently commented post-game.

"Well the team is playing really well, especially in the midfield, if we can control the ball there, our forwards will get chances to score. It all starts with us midfielders, and right now, we're clicking," commented the second goal scorer, Thulo Ranchobe.

Ketsekile Injured in Training
Huge blow to team morale heading into match with Angola

Lesotho leader, captain, and keeper Sam Ketsekile was injured in training yesterday, a huge blow to the team.

Ketsekile has been the national team keeper since 2001, having been capped 41 times and having posted 15 clean sheets.

The groin injury is expected to keep him out for all three upcoming qualifying matches.

"It's very difficult obviously, not just for Sam but for our squad, he's a real leader in the room and it's unfortunate, but that's football," commented Crocodiles manager Verde.

"It's terrible, I feel as though I've let my team down despite not having done anything. I'm sure young Lekunutu will do a fine job in my absence," posted Ketsekile on his Twitter account.

21 year-old Lekunutu Tseounyane is expected to take over in goal for Lesotho.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Rookie

Lesotho 1, Angola 2

Angolans opportunistic, take big step
Towards promotion with solid away victory

There's a reason they qualified in '06. There's a reason they're heavily-favored to win this preliminary group. Angola know how to win, both at home and, as they exhibited today, on the road.

Lesesa almost put Lesotho up inside 5 minutes, as his crack from 20 yards out beat the Angolan keeper Lama, but hit the goal post and bounced out.

Zé Kalanga got the ball rolling for the visitors in the 29th minute, when he finished off a pretty passing play with Manucho to make it one-nil Angola.

Manucho would then strike with a ridiculously powerful strike from a bad angle, which seemed to pass right through Tseounyane's hands before hitting the back of the net to make it 2-0 inside 40 minutes.

Lesotho dominated the second half with desperation, but couldn't beat Lama until it was too late.

Moloisane received a pass at half, and coming in 1-on-4 against the Angolan backline, simply kicked the ball ahead and chased after it, pacing his way clear in on goal. He shot the ball hard and low, and beat Lama to cut the lead to one, but it was too little, too late for the Crocodiles, as they fell 2-1 to the visitors.

"Well I felt we did enough for a draw, but today proved to the defenders that against a good team, all it takes is a 10-minute defensive lapse and the game can be lost in that time span. It's cruel, but that's the reality of international football," commented Lesotho manager Verde post-game. "We've got two more games to play in the next two weeks, and I think we can draw six points from them if we play our cards right. We've got to get three points from Malawi next week, if we fail to, it will more or less spell the end of our qualifying chance."

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Rookie

Lesotho 3, Malawi 1

Lesotho Power Past Malawi
Offense too fast for Malawi

Lesotho got off to a dream start, as in the 17th minute, Letsie controlled a cross in the Malawi box, and fired a cannon of a shot off the crossbar and in to give the hosts the one-nil lead.

The Crocodiles continued to dominate the match, and in the 70th minute finally doubled their lead when Moloisane made one of his trademark runs before slotting the ball calmly past a rushing Malawi keeper.

Kanyenda got a goal back for Malawi in the 89th minute, but it was too little, too late.

Moloisane almost mirrored his first goal in the 93rd and final minute of play, streaking down the left flank, cutting to the middle and beating the Malawi keeper low to make it 3-1.

Malawi will be looking towards the rematch in one week's time.

Group K
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Lesotho21013
Malawi21013
Angola21013

Malawi somehow won 3-nil away to Angola...setting the table for what should be a great finish in this group!

Old 11-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
Rookie

Malawi 0, Lesotho 1

Lesotho Keep Dream Alive
Gritty three points sees them atop group

It wasn't the prettiest win, that's for sure. But The Crocodiles found a way to three points, and now sit alone atop Group K in Round 1 of African World Cup Qualifying.

Malawi actually had the better chances of the first half, the greatest opportunity coming in the 18th minute when Mwafulirwa's long-range effort glanced off of the Lesotho crossbar before going out of play.

Mojela Letsie nearly put Lesotho up in injury time of the first half, when he made an athletic run towards the Malawi goal, latched onto a long ball from Lebajoa Mphongoa, and chipped the ball over Malawian keeper Sanudi, but his effort went well wide of the goal.

Malawi nearly went ahead in the 61st minute, when Wadabwa's cross found the head of Msowoya, but his headed effort went well over the bar.

Six minutes later, Lesotho would score the match's only goal on an impressive run by Mojela Letsie.

Letsie sprinted down the right flank, cut inside past a defender, and slammed the shot into Sanudi's chest. It deflected straight back, off of Letsie, and off of the leg of Malawi defender Stephane Mponga and in.

Malawi pressed in the dying moments of the match, but they couldn't beat Tseounyane in the Lesotho goal.

Fulltime gave Lesotho a massive three points in their hunt for a spot in Round 2 of World Cup Qualifying.

"It was a good performance by the lads, solid defense across the pitch from #1 to #11 in the line-up. Real happy with the result. We've got a friendly with a pretty good Asian team coming up, we'll be looking to get through it unscathed with similar form, and then the away match with Angola in a month. That game will decide whether or not we advance in this competition," stated a happy Lesotho manager Verde post-game.

In friendly action next weekend, Lesotho head to Lebanonto face a team that's shockingly first in their group in Asian World Cup Qualifying, while Malawi will face European minnows San Marino.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
Rookie

Lebanon 0, Lesotho 4

Memorable Night for Mojela Letsie
Four goal performance powers Lesotho to dominant win

No one really knew what to expect from Lesotho as they visited Lebanon on Saturday.

Well, they left a massive statement in Lebanon. That is to say, Mojela Letsie left his statement in Lebanon.

Letsie got the ball rolling for the visitors in the 20th minute, when his freekick nicked off the goalpost before crossing the line to make it 1-0 Lesotho.

Lesotho had multiple chances to double their lead, including an Mphuting effort which was athletically parried away by Lebanon man-of-the-match keeper Lary Mehanna.

Letsie would notch his 2nd goal of the match in the 60th minute, and the rout was on. He received a pass from Thulo Ranchobe, sprinted through the Lebanese central defenders, and crisply smacked a shot that evaded Mehanna's mitts.

Letsie would complete his hat trick eight minutes later with a beautiful shot from well outside of the 18-yard box.

Lebanon then implemented mass substitutions seeing the game was out of hand, bringing on 7 new players.

Letsie would then score his fourth goal of the afternoon when he finished off Moloisane's rebound.

On another note for Lesotho, veteran keeper Sam Ketsekile returned to the starting eleven after missing three matches with a quad injury and didn't miss a beat.

"Well it was definitely a positive match, though we must remember that Lebanon, no disrespect intended, is no Angola. We can take this victory in stride as a morale boost and a continuation of good form, but we still need to focus on our pivotal match with Angola. We've got two rather easy matches coming up in friendly action, but we can't rest on our laurels. I believe that this team, led by the likes of Letsie, Moloisane, and our captain Ketsekile, has the makings of a World Cup Finals team," lauded Lesotho manager Verde post-game.

Lesotho will face Mauritania and Seychelles next month as they tune up for their deciding group match with Angola in two months' time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »