Home

An American Abroad (FM13)

This is a discussion on An American Abroad (FM13) within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10
An American Abroad (FM13)

As I'm making the flight from New York to Glasgow, the turn of events the last 24 hours were simply jaw dropping. Started the day off in training with the US Under-21s...ending it on a plane to Glasgow, Scotland with the potential for my first job in soccer management.

Less than a year removed from professional soccer and I never would've suspected that I would already be offered an opportunity into management. I was ecstatic when Jurgen Klinsmann invited me to join the US set-up coaching with the Under-21 squad. I figured I would cut my teeth in coaching and then who knows, maybe manage in MLS or stay with Jurgen and manage one of the youth squads.

Then Jurgen called me into his office and handed me the phone. It was Andrew Dickson, the managing director of Rangers FC asking me if I would be interested in flying out to Glasgow to interview for the manager's job.

I knew all about the problems that Rangers FC had faced after falling into administration last season and the ownership change. About how only 13 players showed up for the initial day of training. How several players defected from Rangers when the Scottish Football Association told them they could void their contracts because of the transfer of ownership. How the Scottish Premier League kicked them out. How the SFA wanted them in the First Division but the clubs of the SFA voted them down to the Third Division. How they just found out they was going to actually get to play this season. About how a transfer embargo was in place till next year.

There are lots of reasons why it would not be feasible to take this job. Hell, Jurgen even tried to talk me out of it. "Jason, why would you want to get involved in that mess," he asked me.

Because Rangers is one of the most successful clubs in Europe. Because it's a rebuilding project. Because I would hopefully have someone I know helping me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: An American Abroad (FM13)

Great idea for a FM dynasty. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhurst99
Great idea for a FM dynasty. Good luck.
I'm hoping this will last awhile.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Glasgow, Scotland

I could get use to walking in this building everyday.

Arriving at Ibrox Stadium, I was nervous as could be, but I knew what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. How we were going to play, what I expected of my players, my goals for the club moving forward, etc.

Two men sat across from me in the office. One was Andrew Dickson, head of Football Administration. The other was Walter Smith, a Rangers legend who was now on the Rangers FC board.

Once the obligatory greetings were aside, we got down to business.

"So, were you shocked by the call," Dickson asked.

"A little," I said. "I never expected to be interviewing for a managerial position after just one season away from being a player. But, I'm always up for a challenge. I proved that when I left college early to sign professionally in the Netherlands. Made two World Cup squads, played in England and Germany. Finished my career up in MLS."

"What kind of football do you plan to play," asked Smith.

"Having worked the past year under Jurgen Klinsmann in the US set-up, naturally I've had our style of play drilled into my head," I said. "A base 4-3-3 that looks to attack. Surprising considering I was a defender. Control possession, a high defensive line. I want to dominate teams and make them uncomfortable."

"We have a team in place," said Dickson. Unfortunately, our CEO and the previous manager Ally McCoist had a disagreement and he had to be let go. We wanted somebody who has been in the trenches as a player recently. This is a fairly young squad but we do have a couple of veterans. Before we shipped him off on loan so he could better prepare for the US National Team, Carlos Bocanegra highly recommended you."

"I bet he did. He took my spot on the international squad after all," I said with a chuckle.

"What are your goals for Rangers FC," said Smith.

"Simple," I said. "Get back to the top flight as quickly as possible. My plan is to be back in the SPL by 2016. Back in European Competition by 2017.

"Those are some pretty lofty goals," fired back Smith.

"Well, I don't want to toil in the lower leagues too long," I said.

Walter looked over and nodded to Mr. Dickson.

"We're prepared to make an offer," said Dickson. "We're offering a one-year deal worth 235,000 pounds. Quite simply, we don't know how the financials or are standing with the SFA are going to workout. We still have court cases pending. Hence, why we don't want to give you a long-term agreement."

I thought for a moment. Just a moment.

"I accept...on one condition," I said. "Now, I know the tactical side of the game. I know what a player is thinking. But I'm not big on the whole business side of the game and working out contracts and transfers. I want to be concentrated on what's happening on the pitch. But I know somebody who is. And with your permission, I would like for him to be hired as the Director of Football. I just have to fly to New York to get him to quit his current job with Major League Soccer."

Mr. Dickson was obviously mulling it over. It was something he would have to clear with the CEO. And with that he got on his cell phone. After a few minutes of discussing the issue, while myself and Walter (he insisted I call him Walter after many attempts to call him Mr. Smith) discussed football and how he wanted to bring me into his Rangers squads on a couple of occasions, Mr. Dickson got an answer.

"Mr. Green agrees to the addition of a Director of Football to the staff. Now, who do you have in mind?"
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

New York, NY

I hate jet lag. I'm not fond of New York. Way too big. But, this was a contact I needed to make face to face. I've kept in contact with him, but haven't seen him since 2002 when we were teammates on the World Cup team.

"My god, your hideous Jeff, why do you even try?"

"I've missed you too Jason."

Jeff Agoos earned 134 caps for the US National team from 1988-2003. It's a shame he didn't make more appearances in the World Cup. He was the last player cut from the 94 squad, and he famously burned his jersey. He was on the 98 squad, but didn't make an appearance. He made the 2002 squad, but suffered an injury in group play (and infamously scored an own goal).

He was a technical director for Red Bull New York but was now a competition director for Major League Soccer.

"I've got to ask Jason, why did you want to meet like this out of the blue," Jeff asked.

"I'll get right to it then," I said. "I've been offered the manager's job of Rangers FC. I want to bring you in as Director of Football."

What followed was a sell job on Rangers FC. Jeff knew about all the problems the club faced, and he had the same reservations that Jurgen had...why would you want to get involved in that mess? However, I pulled at his competitive spirit.

"It's a chance at building a team in Europe," I said. "Wouldn't you rather be winning trophies than sitting in this office all day."

With that we enjoyed an evening out on the town before I headed back to the hotel so I could catch my morning flight back to Glasgow. I had a team to manage.

Five days later, I was at Glasgow International picking up Jeff. He resigned his position with MLS and agreed to join my staff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Rangers FC hire Jason Whitt?

Glasgow - In what was a surprise announcement, Rangers FC have announced a virtually unknown American has been appointed as manager of the club.

Jason Whitt, who's only coaching experience was with the United States National Team, will now be looking to steer Rangers back into the top flight.

"It truly is a dream come true to be sitting in front of you guys today," said Whitt. "It's going to be tough following in the footsteps of legends such as Walter Smith and Ally McCoist, but I have the utmost confidence in my ability to lead this team back to the Premier League."

Whitt promised Rangers fans that soccer is about entertainment and they will be entertained.

Whitt also said he would supplement the current coaching staff with his own people, but that people who currently are a part of the staff will be staying since they have stayed committed to Rangers FC following the transfer in ownership.

Whitt won't have much time to implement his system. Rangers first friendly is in eight days in an away tilt against SPL side Hibernian.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

First day of training with my new squad. I'm almost as nervous as the first day of school. I've practically rehearsed what I'm going to tell these guys. Then I remembered, it's just training. I need to calm down.

I walk into the locker room as the guys are finished getting ready to hit the pitch.

"Okay guys, gather round. In case you hadn't heard, my name is Jason Whitt and I'm your new manager here."

That line got a few laughs. It what I was shooting for, trying to get these guys to feel comfortable with me.

"Okay, I walked into that one. First of all, I want to thank you guys for being here. Considering the situation that is surrounding this club, a lot of guys wouldn't be here. And a lot of guys did leave. But you guys either chose to not void your contract or decided to sign here knowing full well that we wouldn't be in the topflight. We wouldn't be playing in continental competition. Not going to be on TV much. Going from the premier league to third division is going to be a shock to the system, especially when we go on the road. I realize that we're going to outclass a lot of our competition, but I fully expect us to work hard. You take a game off or a training session off, you're going to end up sitting next to me. Now the next month is going to be rough. We got to get our fitness levels up, and we have a system to learn. So expect to work hard....starting today. Let's get to it."
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

July 8th, 2012

"That's got to be a record Jason. One match and the media is already questioning you."

Jeff was right. They were questioning me. We went into our first friendly against SPL side Hibernian and we looked like we have never played football before. We couldn't get into the attacking third. And when we did, we couldn't hit the ball cleanly. We never even tested the keeper. It's only a friendly, and I'm already hearing questions that maybe I wasn't the right hire.

The media doesn't care about the situation surrounding a 4-0 defeat. How three of the goals came in the second half after I had substituted the first eleven out of the game and pretty much had a youth squad out there. It's a friendly for crying out loud. You would have thought we dropped the Scottish Cup final.

No off days in preseason, and I'm already hearing grumblings about how I'm working them too hard. I haven't been out of football that long have I? Or maybe I was spoiled playing alongside Landon Donovan and David Beckham the last couple years of my career. These kids are soft. I was shocked to even hear it from my best player and vice captain, Lee Wallace.

We can't be having this. Time to nip it in the bud, with you guessed it....more training.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »