Home

An International Comeback - Carlos Verde's Return with SAN MARINO

This is a discussion on An International Comeback - Carlos Verde's Return with SAN MARINO within the Other Sports Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
An International Comeback - Carlos Verde's Return with SAN MARINO

June 17th, 2008
5 PM

I sit alone in this little one-room press building. In a few minutes, I'll be facing a handful of San Marinese reporters, if I'm lucky a couple of B-list Italian reporters, and maybe my ex-wife.

This is where my managerial career in football stands today- in front of a tin-can podium in a one-room hut at the Stadio Olimpico in San Marino, about to take the reins of a national side that hasn't won a competitive match in its history.

It wasn't always like this...

*bzzzzt (flashback)*

May 17th, 2006

"Welcome inside the Stade de France here in Paris for the 2006 UEFA Champions League Final, and what a match we've got on tap for you this evening! On tap tonight, it's Spanish giants Barcelona, and they'll take on English cinderella-story Blackburn. It's no surprise to anyone that the Catalans find themselves on Europe's biggest club stage yet again, but it IS a complete shock to see English mid-table side Blackburn Rovers here under the tutelage of second-year manager Carlos Verde. Under Verde, Blackburn managed to win the FA Cup last year and qualify for the Champions League, and now they've found themselves on Europe's biggest stage. Will they be able to avoid embarrassment, let alone win?"

*bzzzt*

Back to the here and now, just ten minutes until the press conference now, water bottle? Check. Tie? Check. Notes? Check.

*Bzzzt*

"Well ladies and gentlemen, it's been an absolute romping here in Paris as Spanish champions FC Barcelona lead English upstarts Blackburn Rovers 5-1 here in the dying moments of the 2006 Champions League final, what a bitter disappointment not just for Blackburn as a club, but English football as a whole....here's Ronaldinho, Ronaldinho, cuts left past Mackay, Ronaldinho holds, holds......SCORES! Ronaldinho completes the hat trick, and it's now 6-1 in favor of the Catalans, who are mere seconds away from raising Europe's most prestigious club trophy!"

"There's the final whistle, and the Barcelona reserves surge onto the field in celebration, the manager there hugging with the trainer, and Carles Puyol being lifted onto his teammates' shoulders, what a moment for the Catalans!"

...Post game, Stade de France, Same Date:

"Tony, I don't know what happened out there. We were outplayed by a more talented side, but I beg of you, this is one bad result. I've still won an FA Cup and a UEFA Cup berth for your club in just two seasons at the helm, I beg of you, don't make this rash decision!"

"Humm.....Mr. Verde, you've done our club a great service these past two seasons, you've given us European glory, something we've never had before. For that, myself, the board, and the supporters of Blackburn Rovers Football Club are eternally grateful. I'm not releasing you of your duties because of this god-awful result on the world's biggest stage. I'm releasing you because a certain English newspaper has threatened to publish a story centered around your betting on Blackburn matches unless we release you. We simply cannot have this for the club, and thus the board and I have decided the only decision we can make is that of releasing you. I'm sorry."

*BZZZT*

(June 2008, San Marino)

Giorgio Crescentini (SM Football Federation President): "It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you, an esteemed, experienced manager to head our national team's qualification for the upcoming 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. Please welcome to Serravalle, Carlos Verde."

(smattering of applause amongst the 15-20 journalists in attendance, more than I expected)

"Thank you Signor Crescentini, I'm very excited to be here in Serravalle and I cannot thank the San Marinese federation for giving me another crack at managing, and managing on the international level to boot! I believe that this qualification campaign WILL be San Marino's most successful ever. I'm confident going ahead that we can achieve the modest goal set forth by the Federation of attaining two points in the qualification process, though our obvious goal, as with any other team, is to reach South Africa."

(The journalists break down laughing, one old Italian reporter spills his glass of wine, only making him laugh harder)

Reporter: "Signor Verde, how can you possibly say something like that with a straight face? I've covered this national team since its inception in 1990. We have never won a competitive match. In eighteen years. What is your realistic goal?"

"Well, I feel that there is definitely reason for optimism. We've got a few players playing in Serie B in Italy, and a few of them full-time professional footballers. That's encouraging. We have some pace up front. I believe we have enough heart and talent to challenge Europe's best teams, especially with excellent home support here in Serravalle at Stadio Olimpico! Other questions..."

Reporter: "You realize that, just a few short months after your unceremoniously scandalous dismissal from Blackburn, the same squad which you are taking over set the European record for all-time largest defeat?"

"I wasn't aware of that, though I'm sure it wasn't that bad..."

Reporter: "We lost 13-nil in this very stadium to the Germans."

"...Well the Germans are a world-class squad, and I'm sure that was a one-off thing. I assure you we will not drop matches like that under my guidance. Especially at home. I do know that San Marino won a match fairly recently, 1-nil over Liechtenstein in 2004, and some of the footballers from that side are still training with the national team here in Serravalle. I hope these players can lend their experience and talent well in the upcoming qualification process. Questions..."

(An English journalist, one I faintly recognize, puts his hand up maliciously, and I cringe a little in anticipation)

Reporter: "Carlos, let's be honest here. You were dismissed from Blackburn because you bet on your own team's matches. No other top-flight club in Europe wanted to touch the disaster which your managerial career has become. So why come back, just to embarrass yourself here in front of a few hundred fans, managing a semi-pro side on the international stage?"

"What's your name?"

Reporter (cockily) : "Stuart Andrews."

"Well Stuart, allow me to tell you why I'm here. Yes, I bet on my own team's matches. I had faith in my lads and bet on them, without fail, every weekend we had a match. In hindsight, it was extremely unprofessional of me and I understand why no other top-flight clubs extended me any offers. I'm here today because I love the game of football, purely and with my whole heart. This game is my passion, my love, my life. As long as someone is willing to let me keep it in my life, I plan on taking the opportunity they give me. The S.M.F.F. was kind enough to demand my services, and I'm thrilled to put on the manager's tracksuit again. Does that answer your question?"

Reporter: "Yes, I suppose it does..."

"Any other questions?...No? Thank you gentlemen, and I'll see you next month before our friendly."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ROAD TO SOUTH AFRICA: San Marino
Specs
Spoiler

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Carlos Verde Managerial Career
Spoiler

Since I've got exams coming up, I'm going to let this series sit until Tuesday, June 25th, the day after my exams end. Then, the stories and more personal background on shady manager Carlos Verde will be pumped out fast and furious!

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------

Currently: Ottawa Senators (NHL 2003)

Last edited by Canada_Carlos_Ball; 06-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: An International Comeback - Carlos Verde's Return with SAN MARINO

July 5th, 2008

"It all seemed so simple back then, things were going well at Blackburn and I had this weird twisted idea in my mind that if I was betting on my own team winning, it was ethical. It was really bizarre. I completely deserve my release from Blackburn..."

I sit and watch the tape of my dismissal conference in Blackburn. Over two years later, it still hurts. I play through it in my head almost every day. The first bet against Tottenham, right up to the 50 000 quid I put on us in the Champions League final against Barcelona, sigh, what a disaster that was.

The tape of my dismissal conference still brings tears to my eyes from time to time. I had everything going for me. A wife, two young kids, a blossoming managerial career. And I threw it all away.

But back to the here and now, in just a few minutes Giampaolo Friscone, my assistant manager in my new job with San Marino, would be picking me up and taking me to the Stadio Olimpico, in downtown Serravalle.

--------------------------

I've managed in many a Stadio Olimpico in my life, and I can say that every single one I've managed in was infinitely nicer than the one which I now called home.

The view from my office is unspectacular at best. Giampaolo hands me a few sheets with my players' information on them. Nothing spectacular about this lot, that's for sure.

He also hands me a sheet with the latest UEFA Overall Rankings, a new system which is supposed to rank each team's overall talent.

I scan the list, casting my eyes lower and lower on the ranking...

"...50. Luxembourg 52.2
51. Liechtenstein 52.0
52. San Marino 49.3"

We are indeed the worst footballing nation in Europe. It will be a long battle...

---------------------------
San Marino Depth Chart - Mar '08
STARTER2ND3RD4TH
GAldo Simoncini (52)Federico Valentini (50)Michele Ceccoli (45)
RFBFabio Vitaoli (50)Matteo Simoncini (45)Carlo Valentini (44)
MLBSimone Bacciochi (51)Nicola Albani (50)Gianluca Bollini (46)Alessandro Del Valle (44)
LFBMatteo Andreini (54)Maicol Berretti (45)
ROMFDamiano Vannucci (46)Danilo Rinaldi (45)Michele Cervellini (43)
RDMFGiovanni Bonini (49)Riccardo Muccioli (44)
LDMFMatteo Bugli (52)Fabio Bollini (44)Federico Nanni (43)
LOMFMauro Marani (45)Enrico Cibelli (43)
RFManuel Marani (48)Marco Casadei (40)
CFAndy Selva (65)Matteo Vitaoli (45)Matteo Valli (42)
LFMichele Marani (51)Nicola Ciacci (45)

The fact is, Andy Selva is our only half-decent scoring option. I`m going to stick with the already-in-place 3-4-3, simply because our midfield is our weakest spot on the pitch and I figure if you can`t win the midfield then you may as well CLOG the midfield with blue shirts.

Selva is also our only professional, currently contracted to Serie B (Division 2) Sassuolo in Italy.

He`s also our only player rated above 55 in the UEFA Player Rating System.

We could be in trouble...

Our first test will be next month as we visit the Faroe Islands on August 20th...

Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Rookie

Qualifying Group Draw

July 30th, 2008

UEFA has just drawn us into a qualifying group for the 2010 World Cup. It`s not a great draw, with more than two quality sides in the group, but then again, I don`t think it matters who we play, we`ll still be outclassed...

Here is the FULL draw, along with my impressions of each group:

UEFA Group A
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Germany
Bulgaria
Cyprus
Wales
Armenia
Georgia

The Germans got a very favorable draw here, the only consistently decent squad alongside them in Group A is Bulgaria. Cyprus and Wales could make some noise, but this is a very weak group for the powerhouse Germans, who could go 10-0-0 in qualifying.

UEFA Group B
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Romania
Belarus
Slovenia
Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia

Another painfully weak group, this one doesn`t even have a clear-cut number 1. Every team in the group, with the exception of possibly Estonia, could see themselves advancing in the top two from this extremely watered-down group.

UEFA Group C
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Spain
Russia
Denmark
Montenegro
Northern Ireland
Liechtenstein

A tricky group for EURO 2008 champions Spain, as they have three other quality sides in their group. Montenegro, Russia, and Denmark will all fancy they`ve got a chance to advance out of what should be a close-fought battle for 2nd.

UEFA Group D
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Portugal
Switzerland
Scotland
Ireland
Malta
Faroe Islands

Portugal look as though they should have a fairly easy time getting into the Top Two, however Switzerland may eclipse them for the automatic 1st-place berth. Scotland and Ireland will fancy their chances as well, as both teams will have an automatic six points (as should POR and SUI) against the lower end of the group (Malta, Faroes).

UEFA Group E
TEAMGPWDLPTS
England
Bosnia
Ukraine
Greece
Iceland
Kazakhstan

A very tough draw for the English sees them grouped with four other World Cup Finals-worthy squads. Kazakhstan is the only weak-ish opponent in the group of six, and some may label this the `Group of Death`.

UEFA Group F
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Holland
Italy
Croatia
Poland
Albania
Macedonia

Scratch that. THIS is the Group of Death. One of the top three teams in this group, all of whom could be considered World Cup contenders, will not be going to South Africa. Brutal draw for the likes of Poland, who may have had a shot at advancing had they not drawn this Giant Killer group.

UEFA Group G
TEAMGPWDLPTS
France
Belgium
Austria
Hungary
Azerbaijan
Luxembourg

A fairly regular group should see France go straight to South Africa, with Belgium and Austria, and potentially Hungary, duking it out for the play-off spot.

UEFA Group H
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Serbia
Norway
Israel
Slovakia
Finland
SAN MARINO*

Upon closer investigation, you`ll see that we did avoid all of the bigger footballing nations in Europe. However, we drew four squads that could all win the group and go straight to South Africa (Serbia, Norway, Slovakia, Israel), and Finland is very tough at home. It will take a miracle for us to not finish sixth in this 6-team group.

UEFA Group I
TEAMGPWDLPTS
Sweden
Czech Rep.
Turkey
Moldova
Andorra

This smaller group poses an interesting problem for Sweden, Czech Rep, and Turkey. All three probably think they can win this group. And all three WILL get six points each off of weaklings Moldova and Andorra, but how will they fare amongst each other...should be an interesting group to watch.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
Rookie

Faroe Islands 1, San Marino 1

Aug 20, 2008 - San Marino vs Faroe Islands
TEAM12SCORE
San Marino (Blue/White)011
Faroe Islands (White/Black)011
Team Stats Comparison
San Marino
Faroe Islands
1Goals1
6Shots10
4Shots on Target8
10Tackles11
1Fouls1
1Yellow Cards1
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
66%Shot Accuracy80%
78%Passing Percentage82%
San Marino Player Stats
STARTERSSHOTSSOGCKCROFFFCFS
A. Simoncini - GK - 8.2

M. Andreini - LCB - 6.6

S. Bacciochi - CB - 6.1

F. Vitaioli - RCB - 6.2

D. Rinaldi - LAM - 6.1

M. Bugli - LDM - 6.4

G. Bonini - RDM - 6.0

D. Vannucci - RAM - 5.7

M. Marani - LF - 5.9

A. Selva - CF - 7.3

M. Vitaoli - RF - 5.1

*FRIENDLY*

SAN MARINESE LOOK DEFENSIVELY POROUS, SALVAGE POINT
Andy Selva comes through in clutch, saves face for Verde in debut

Carlos Verde has a lot of work to do if he wants to pick up any points in Group H. One friendly in, and his squad looks disorganized, porous defensively, and blatantly poor.

The first half started off harmlessly enough for the San Marinese, with Andy Selva sending a one-timed volley inches over the Faroese crossbar in the 6th minute.

However, after the first quarter-hour was spent entirely in the Faroese half, the Nordics started to push forward, exposing a weak San Marinese back three, and a slow San Marinese midfield.

The Faroese missed a few glorious chances towards the end of the first half, and Verde's boys were lucky to find themselves level at the end of the first 45.

Both teams made a few changes at halftime, but the flow of play continued in the same fashion as the 2nd half got underway.

Almost inevitably, Fredrik Naer broke the deadlock for the hosts in the 57th minute, when he headed a corner past Aldo Simoncini, who was the only reason the game had remained tied that long.

The Faroese continued to push forward, looking to ice the result, and Simoncini made a few great diving saves to keep the visitors within one goal.

In the 86th minute, with the Faroese looking easily in control of the match, centre back Naer, the goalscorer, clumsily turned the ball over to Andy Selva, and the only San Marinese who looked half-likely to score on the evening did just that, slotting the ball calmly passed Lokin in the Faroese net.

The match ended 1-1, though manager Verde was not exactly thrilled with his boys' performance on the day. On his way out of Torshavn at the airport, Verde only tossed a curt, "We must be better," to the few media at the airport lounge.

Next up will be the San Marinese's first qualifier, away to Serbia, in early September.

Last edited by Canada_Carlos_Ball; 06-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Rookie

Re: An International Comeback - Carlos Verde's Return with SAN MARINO

August 29th, 2008
Stadio Olimpico offices, Serravalle

Hello Andy, welcome and thanks for coming in today.

"No problem boss, what can I do for you?"

Well I know you're a veteran of this national team, and I know you've experienced many a lopsided defeat. I want to ask you what you think we can improve on here in camp to boost morale, and maybe just maybe produce some inspired form.

"Well, I feel like there's a lot of slacking, but I might be biased because I'm the only professional footballer on the squad. Lots of guys cutting training for work, or cutting Friday night training to go clubbing. It's a bit of a joke. There are some people on this club that are just bad apples, and I guess that happens a lot at the semi-pro level."

Care to spill any names?

"Not especially, but I think if you ask Giampaolo or one of the trainers, they could give you a pretty good idea of who I'm talking about."

Alright, moving on- what are the chances that we actually take points from the Serbia match?

"Well boss, to be completely honest, I've played Serbia three times in my career with the San Marinese kit on, and I believe we've been outscored 23-0. So very, VERY slim Boss."

Thanks for your honesty, you're dismissed.

"Oh and boss, why did you bet on Blackburn matches?"

GET OUT OF MY OFFICE.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Rookie

Serbia Steamroll Lowly San Marino

Different Calibre of Teams on the Pitch
Selva disappointing for the San Marinese, Serbian midfield steals show

It was a one-sided affair from the opening kick-off in Belgrade, as the heavily-favored Serbs took it to the San Marinese early and often, pounding away at Aldo Simoncini's goal relentlessly and without mercy.

Milos Krasic potted the first goal of the evening in the 19th minute, when he sprinted straight through the San Marinese centerbacks before coolly dispatching the ball past a diving Simoncini to put the home side expectedly ahead 1-nil.

The San Marinese held on for dear life and managed to get to half time down just the one goal, though it wouldn't last.

The Serbs made two changes at half, bringing on offensive players for defensive players, and the pace quickened even more.

Marko Pantelic then iced the three points for the hosts in the 65th minute, when he half-volleyed a cross into the top corner.

Pantelic scored again in the 76th minute, when he finished off a cross-goal pass from Dejan Stankovic to put the Serbs ahead by three.

Amazingly, down three goals, the San Marinese managed their first foray into the Serbian half of the entire match, with Michele Marani forging his way through the Serbian back four and beating Stojkovic to give the San Marinese their first competitive goal in over four years!

Unfortunately for the San Marinese their elation was short-lived, as Gojko Kacar chipped a weak goal over Aldo Simoncini in extra time to rub some salt in the wounds of the visitors.

Final score, 4-1 Serbia.

Manager thoughts:

Serbia: "Well we have to give them some credit, they've come in here and managed to hold us to a single goal after 45 minutes, I don't think any San Marino side has done that previously. Their back three are surprisingly solid. Still, we are disappointed to only win by 3. We had many chances, but Simoncini stifled us many times throughout the match."

San Marino: "A disappointing result no doubt, but there were some positives to take from this match going forward. We've discovered we can actually score against a Top-40 opponent, which is a must if we want to...qualify, hm, for Africa. We've also found out that Aldo is capable of keeping us in one-sided matches with his timely stops. The midfield needs to improve greatly, and you'll be seeing a very different Starting XI in four days' time for our next qualifier."

Sep 6, 2008 - San Marino vs Serbia
TEAM12SCORE
San Marino (Blue)011
Serbia (Red/Blue)134
Team Stats Comparison
San MarinoSerbia
1Goals4
1Shots15
1Shots on Target9
9Tackles14
0Fouls0
0Yellow Cards0
0Red Cards0
0Injuries0
100Shot Accuracy60
85Passing Percentage83
San Marino Player Stats
A. Simoncini - GK - 8.4*
M. Andreini - CB - 6.4
S. Bacciocchi - CB - 6.4
F. Vitaoli - CB - 6.7
M. Marani - LM - 5.511
D. Rinaldi - CM - 6.110
G. Bonini - CM - 5.5
D. Vannucci - RM - 5.8
M. Marani - LW - 6.9
A. Selva - ST - 5.8
M. Vitaoli - RW - 5.4

Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Rookie

San Marinese Stun Norwegians!

Selva on-form, San Marinese Steal Point
Norway shocked after dropping points in Serravalle

In an absolutely ridiculous match, lowly San Marino stole a point from visiting Norway in the 2nd match of 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifying.

After a pretty slow start to the match, Andy Selva was sent in all alone after a fantastic lead pass from Vannucci, and Selva calmly slotted the ball past the Norwegian keeper, bringing the capacity crowd of 7800 at Stadio Olimpico to their feet. It was San Marino's first home goal in their competitive history.

Jonas Carew equaled the match just three minutes later, and the match was leveled.

The San Marinese then shifted into a defensive 5-4-1 for the remainder of the match, clearly playing for a single point, which is what they received at the end of the day.

Norway manager: "Give them credit, they defended as though their lives depended on it."

San Marino manager: "Fantastic result, let's get rowdyyyyy tonight San Marino!!!!"

Sep 10, 2008 - Norway vs San Marino
TEAM12SCORE
Norway (Red/White)101
San Marino (Blue)101

Last edited by Canada_Carlos_Ball; 06-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Rookie

San Marino v. Finland (3rd Match of Qualifying)

Oct 15, 2008 - Finland vs San Marino
TEAM12SCORE
Finland (1-1-1)000
San Marino (0-2-1)000
Team Stats Comparison
FinlandSan Marino
0Goals0
0Shots11
0Shots on Target4
10Tackles13
1Fouls0
0Yellow Cards0
0Red Cards0
1Injuries0
0Shot Accuracy0
60Passing Percentage76
San Marino Player Stats
Simoncini - GK7.5
Andreini - LCB8.6
Bollini - CB8.9
Vitaoli - RCB7.8
Marani - LM8.1
Bugli - LCM6.6
Bonini - RCM8.4
Rinaldi - RM4.9
Marani - LW5.8
Selva - ST6.3
Vitaoli - RW5.5

San Marinese Dominate Finns, Can't Score
New tactics work, but single point virtually eliminates minnows San Marino

It was a hardfought affair in Serravalle as the lowly San Marinese exploded out of their desperate defensive shells and attacked mercilessly in the Finnish half. The only thing that lacked on the night was their front three's ability to hit the net with decent chances.

The game started off quickly, with a new-look 3-4-3 San Marino attacking right away. Andy Selva rocketed a shot towards the Finnish goal just four minutes in, but Niki Maenpaa made a fantastic diving save to deny the San Marinese veteran on what would ultimately be the hosts' best scoring chance of the evening.

The San Marinese continued to pressure, and with manager Verde loading up the midfield with players, they had no problem dispossessing the Finns anytime they attempted to attack.

Despite some offensive-minded substitutions and tons of possession, San Marino couldn't recreate Selva's 5th-minute chance, or any real chances for that matter, as the Finns did a good job pushing them to the outside.

With the draw, San Marino fall deeper into last place in Group H.

Manager reaction-

Finland: "I'm not sure where this San Marino squad has been the last twenty years. This side is a much better one, tactically and physically, than the one we're used to seeing in qualifying competitions. They stuck with us and, well to be honest, shut us down. Which is a bit of an embarrassment for the Finnish FA. We need to regoup and re-focus for the remained of our group games. Hopefully these two dropped points don't come back and hurt us."

San Marino: "Another excellent result by San Marinese standards, though we probably should have done better in all honesty. We needed to be more clinical in the final third."

Up next for the San Marinese will be a friendly next month, as they visit African minnows Djibouti on November 19th.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Other Sports Dynasties »