Home

MLB Players Poll: Most Overrated Player

This is a discussion on MLB Players Poll: Most Overrated Player within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB Players Poll: Most Overrated Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbz
Aside from that mammoth contract, it's actually reaching the point where A-Rod is borderline underrated. Everyone I hear from acts like he's a bum when he's still an elite third baseman.
Part of the reason he's an elite 3rd baseman is because all the other 3rd basemen are bums this year.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Part of the reason he's an elite 3rd baseman is because all the other 3rd basemen are bums this year.
Offensively Alex Rodriguez is still one of the better 3B, . Aside from Jose Bautista last year (who probably played RF more than 3B) very few third basemen have reached the 30 home run plateau. According to UZR he hasn't been great defensively, but just because the 3B market this year is dwindled by injuries to players like Ryan Zimmerman, Evan Longoria, and others doesn't mean he's not part of the elite group at 3B.

Would you rather have him on your team or Chase Headley? Who in 2010 had a higher WAR than Alex Rodriguez. I'm not sure about you, but I'd take A-Rod over Headley anyday.

I can only see him being overrated only if some people can't let go of the reality that he isn't a .300/40/1.000 OPS-type hitter anymore. Other than that, I don't see how he is overrated.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #27
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Offensively Alex Rodriguez is still one of the better 3B, . Aside from Jose Bautista last year (who probably played RF more than 3B) very few third basemen have reached the 30 home run plateau. According to UZR he hasn't been great defensively, but just because the 3B market this year is dwindled by injuries to players like Ryan Zimmerman, Evan Longoria, and others doesn't mean he's not part of the elite group at 3B.

Would you rather have him on your team or Chase Headley? Who in 2010 had a higher WAR than Alex Rodriguez. I'm not sure about you, but I'd take A-Rod over Headley anyday.

I can only see him being overrated only if some people can't let go of the reality that he isn't a .300/40/1.000 OPS-type hitter anymore. Other than that, I don't see how he is overrated.
I still think A-Rod is a great player, but all the other star 3rd basemen this year have been hurt and aren't slugging more than .500. Compare that to 2005 when we had five 3rd basemen slug over .500. The position is dead, at the moment.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #28
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
I still think A-Rod is a great player, but all the other star 3rd basemen this year have been hurt and aren't slugging more than .500. Compare that to 2005 when we had five 3rd basemen slug over .500. The position is dead, at the moment.
That is true. Also some of the 3B have been moved to other positions (1B, LF) because defense is also as important at that position.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #29
MVP

DGuinta1's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
I fail to see how Jeter on a whole is overrated he has compiled 15 consecutive seasons of 150+ hits. He will have over 3000 by the time his Career is done, a .313 batting average along with 1000+ RBI's and over 230 homers. Jeter Is a born leader, tough as nails and refuses to give up. not to mention the fact that he has played every season for the same team which is a rarity in today's game. His fielding is a tad bit overrated but on a whole Derek Jeter is an amazing athlete. while he has definitely lost a step he is still a key contributor for the Yanks
Couldn't have said it better. Ty. Plus 5 rings!

Last edited by DGuinta1; 06-04-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGuinta1
Couldn't have said it better. Ty. Plus 6 rings!

10char
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 06-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
You don't to be good in the first place to be overrated.
To be overrated, I think there needs to be a basis on which someone can rate you in the first place.

With 2011 Jeter, none exists.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 7

this poll was likely done with a bunch of sour bench warmers. I'd take any of those guys on the list on my team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »