Home

"Yesterdays baseball" vs MLB today

This is a discussion on "Yesterdays baseball" vs MLB today within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
OS Brew Connoisseur

Motown's Arena

OVR: 41
\"Yesterdays baseball\" vs MLB today

Fellas, this "steroid scandal" makes me appreciate guys ie****th,Mantle,Mays,J Gibson,DiMaggio,Cobb,etc... even more! ...Can you imagine...for instance the "Deadball Era" The Dead Ball Era is generally considered to have lasted from the turn of the century into the beginning of the roaring '20s. As the name suggests the game used a "dead" or almost soft ball to play its game. The same ball was usually used for the entire game! I mean EVERYTHING from the balls to the equipment to the ballparks (Polo Grounds)...the ball players of today wouldn't put up NEAR the numbers as the Legends have!

They say that Mickey Mantle once Jacked a baseball 636'!! can you imagine how far Mantle would've hit one of todays "juiced" balls??? NONE of the Baseball greats used steroids and it REALLY sickens' me to think that todays players...do i even have to mention 'em has to use these 'roids to put up the numbers like the Legends did!! 'Ats it!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: \"Yesterdays baseball\" vs MLB today

Mantle supposedly hit a ball off of the vasade (spelling?) at Yankee Stadium. When my cousin and I went to Yankee Stadium this past September we must have stared at that for a good 10 minutes trying to fathom what a blast like that would look like.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
MVP

jpup's Arena

OVR: 31

how do you know they did not use steroids?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

baseball back then was about the game.. now it has turned into -"how much money do i get".. there are a handful of players today that play for the love of the game, but they are few and far between.. ps- on a side note, on ESPN, they were showing clips of Canseco as an A.. if ya happened to look closely, you could see a skinny #25 greeting him at home plate.. then take a look at the same #25 for the Cardinals.. i'm sorry, but even if one lifts weights everyday for 10 years or so, you cant get that big..
Old 03-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Absolutely wrong about that, hulkster29. Absolutely wrong. Years of weight training could take a skinny 21 year old and turn him into a massive 35 year old without the use of any steroids. Let's not forget that McGwire is 6'5. He's got a large frame that can support that type of growth. If years of weight training can't turn skinny people into much larger people, you've got to explain to me how NFL lineman, professional weightlifters, and professional bodybuilders get so huge. Surely you don't think they're all on steroids.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Heelfan71's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

tbuck said:
Absolutely wrong about that, hulkster29. Absolutely wrong. Years of weight training could take a skinny 21 year old and turn him into a massive 35 year old without the use of any steroids. Let's not forget that McGwire is 6'5. He's got a large frame that can support that type of growth. If years of weight training can't turn skinny people into much larger people, you've got to explain to me how NFL lineman, professional weightlifters, and professional bodybuilders get so huge. Surely you don't think they're all on steroids.

More people in Sports are on it than you can imagine. I have a friend that played AAA ball and he said everybody was on that stuff. By best friends brother was a professional body builder and he juiced all the time. He said they all do it.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

jpup said:
how do you know they did not use steroids?

Jeff Kent said this about Babe Ruth.

Well, Jeff, steroids weren't around in sports until the late 50s/early 60s in eastern Europe and the Soviet Union. So Ruth missed his chance by 30-plus years.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

whew - i thought Ruth mighta taken then, i mean seeing he a HUGE beer-gut & didnt take care of himself well

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »