Home

2015 MLB Trade Deadline

This is a discussion on 2015 MLB Trade Deadline within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 PM   #1561
Banned

OVR: 27
Re: 2015 MLB Trade Deadline

Utley to the Dodgers is official.

I really never thought he would actually leave. Really thought he was a Phillie for life.

I know we are in a rebuild, but this is now a sad day in Philly with Utley now gone. He will definitely be missed here.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2015, 11:53 PM   #1562
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
1. Yeah, I don't know if people realize this, but Ned Colleti no longer runs the Dodgers. The guy who used to run the Tampa Bay Rays and the guy who was Billy Beane's lieutenant in Oakland run the Dodgers now.

The "Dodgers buy everyone" stereotype was true when Ned Colleti was around buying the core of the 2012 Boston Red Sox, but since Friedman/Zaidi took over, the Dodgers skipped on signing Scherzer and Lester and opted to sign Brandon McCarthy and Brett Anderson and passed on acquiring an ace at the deadline. Probably the only time the Dodgers have thrown their financial weight around in the Friedman-era was when they signed Hector Olivera...and he's no longer with the team. You can be super-rich like the Dodgers and still care about cost/benefit analysis.

2. Lots of people in baseball think Puig's a goner. His numbers have headed the wrong way the past 3 seasons and the organization doesn't like his work habits/personality. If Puig gets flipped, we'll probably get a young, cost controlled pitcher in return. That might be the way the Dodgers replace Greinke if he ends up walking.

3. The Dodgers spent most of last winter trying to improve their defense and that started by flipping Kemp to a division rival. We're not going to turn around and sign Matt Kemp's twin (Upton). Whoever signs Upton will end up regretting it.

4. With Greinke, it really comes down to what he wants. If he wants to spend the rest of his career as a Dodger, then he'll give them a relative pay cut. If his goal is to maximize $$$$, then he'll sign for 6/150 or 7/175 with someone else. Friedman's not going to open the vault to lock up an aging pitcher; that's the opposite of his MO and what he did last winter. Greinke's an aloof guy and it's hard to know what his mindset is. Given his reluctance to be in the spotlight, he probably loves being the best #2 starter in the world though.

5. If we end up going to the FA well to replace Greinke, Jordan Zimmermann's probably the one Friedman would target.
Regarding point #3, I really hope the Mariners don't get him.

If we still have Jack Z I wouldn't doubt it.

Anyway, the Dodgers are gonna have a really interesting offseason for sure.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #1563
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13

I really never thought he would actually leave. Really thought he was a Phillie for life.

I know we are in a rebuild, but this is now a sad day in Philly with Utley now gone. He will definitely be missed here.

I've always wanted Utler to retire a Phillie. Weird to picture him in anything other than a Phillies uniform. In my MLB The Show franchise, I (30-team control) traded him to Cleveland to be a DH and I made him be able to play 1st so he plays 1st sometimes as well.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:23 AM   #1564
Banned

OVR: 55

Wow, I guess Utley wanted to try for another ring since he agreed to the trade. He has his full 10 and 5 rights so the only way he could be traded was if he agreed to it. He's not going to reach 500 plate appearances this year, so his contract is up at the end of the year so this is his last shot at a ring.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 AM   #1565
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Wow, I guess Utley wanted to try for another ring since he agreed to the trade. He has his full 10 and 5 rights so the only way he could be traded was if he agreed to it. He's not going to reach 500 plate appearances this year, so his contract is up at the end of the year so this is his last shot at a ring.
Utley said he plans to play next year for sure. The vesting option isn't happening. He has an $11MM club option for next season or a $2MM buyout.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2015, 12:44 AM   #1566
MVP

FaM0us Skins's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

Maybe this will rejuvenate him. He has given absolutely no effort all year long in Philadelphia.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:47 AM   #1567
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaM0us Skins
Maybe this will rejuvenate him. He has given absolutely no effort all year long in Philadelphia.
Utley always has and always will give 100% on the field. No questioning that. His poor play this season was a result of the ankle injury he suffered in spring training. Man is hitting .500 since he came of the DL last week. Small sample size yes, but he looks like the Utley of old right now.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:55 AM   #1568
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Utley said he plans to play next year for sure. The vesting option isn't happening. He has an $11MM club option for next season or a $2MM buyout.

Do you think there's a chance that if the Dodgers win it all that he goes back to Philly under a more reasonable short term deal?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »