Home

2016 Trade Deadline Thread

This is a discussion on 2016 Trade Deadline Thread within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23
Re: 2016 Trade Deadline Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
That and we are slowly getting rid of Ned Colletti's mistakes. Arisbel Arruebarrena, Alex Guerrero, Carl Crawford and if he continues to be horrible Puig isn't far behind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
I cant get mad at Carl Crawford, as a Dodgers beat writer wrote, he was basically the tax to get Adrian Gonzalez.

I would be down with trading Puig now before he gets any worse.
From our end, that Red Sox/Dodgers mega-deal of 2012 was basically a massive upgrade at 1B (remember that James Loney guy?) in exchange for picking up Crawford's and Josh Beckett's dead money. So we massively overpaid for a quality 1B. Still not a good deal in hindsight, but it didn't turn out as bad as I thought it was going to be. We're not the first team to overpay for a slugger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
LOL...you guys were all up on Guerrero's jock last year when he was doing his Hank Aaron impression. Now he's a mistake...oh, how fickle we are as fans.
I always thought Guerrero was an unnecessary piece and said so at the time. He could occasionally hit the ball a long way, but he was terrible at everything else.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #18
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
That and we are slowly getting rid of Ned Colletti's mistakes. Arisbel Arruebarrena, Alex Guerrero, Carl Crawford and if he continues to be horrible Puig isn't far behind.
Oof. You list them out like that. Some pretty brutal return on those investments. No wonder Ned hasn't resurfaced anywhere else as a GM since being demoted and replaced.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #19
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Oof. You list them out like that. Some pretty brutal return on those investments. No wonder Ned hasn't resurfaced anywhere else as a GM since being demoted and replaced.
LOL yeah with moves like that he had to go. Since then Arreubarrena has been suspended for the season TWICE.

He made some good moves in his time, but he obviously made some terrible ones as well.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
And there was also Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones, Jason Schmidt, Matt Kemp, Brandon League, and Brian Wilson. The guy handed out disaster contract after disaster contract.

There were some extenuating circumstances on the mega-trade with the Red Sox though, namely the McCourt fallout where one of the game's premier franchises had to declare bankruptcy because the scumbag owner, who should never have been allowed to buy the team in the first place, turned it into his personal credit card. Fans stopped showing up to the park and Colletti probably felt like he needed to give the team a shot in the arm. It's like paying $10 for a bottle of water during a hurricane.

Quote:
LOL yeah with moves like that he had to go. Since then Arreubarrena has been suspended for the season TWICE.

He made some good moves in his time, but he obviously made some terrible ones as well.
He signed Puig, Hyun-Jin Ryu, and Julio Urias and bought low on Hanley Ramirez. And again, he had to deal with one of the worst owners in sports history for most of his tenure, so he deserves to be graded on a curve.

I'd give him a passing grade - C+ - overall.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:13 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
And there was also Juan Pierre, Andruw Jones, Jason Schmidt, Matt Kemp, Brandon League, and Brian Wilson. The guy handed out disaster contract after disaster contract.

There were some extenuating circumstances on the mega-trade with the Red Sox though, namely the McCourt fallout where one of the game's premier franchises had to declare bankruptcy because the scumbag owner, who should never have been allowed to buy the team in the first place, turned it into his personal credit card. Fans stopped showing up to the park and Colletti probably felt like he needed to give the team a shot in the arm. It's like paying $10 for a bottle of water during a hurricane.

He signed Puig, Hyun-Jin Ryu, and Julio Urias and bought low on Hanley Ramirez. And again, he had to deal with one of the worst owners in sports history for most of his tenure, so he deserves to be graded on a curve.

I'd give him a passing grade - C+ - overall.

Can you really blame him for Kemp though??? I see it the same as the Crawford deal. No one would have thought those guys would have fallen as fast as they did. He would've been slaughtered in the media if he didn't bring Matt Kemp back. Especially after that 2011 season he had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

You can definitely throw the Matt Kemp contract in the "extenuating circumstances" category since it came right after his monster 2011 season and during the ownership transition, but it's still a disaster contract, as the Padres could tell you right now.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #23
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

There's some fan (I think) run site that posits the idea of the Jays trading for Ryan Braun...Ah, fans can be funny sometimes.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #24
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Have a feeling if Ryan Braun is traded he ends up in SF, TX, or one of the Chicago teams. Just a gut feeling.

Last edited by ShowTyme15; 06-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »