Home

NBA Draft 2023

This is a discussion on NBA Draft 2023 within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2023, 10:38 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Draft 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
I guess we'll see. I could be wrong. I could be right. I was wrong about Malik Monk. I thought he'd be a star. But I watch alot of sec basketball.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Usually watch quite a bit of SEC myself (live in AR) but these past few years I just haven’t been all that interested in college hoops. I don’t know why but the older I get the more I gravitate to professional everything.

It’s funny you missed on Monk, he’s one of the few I was correct about lol. I’m not great at these drafts comps honestly, but I had the advantage of watching him from like 13 years old and up.

I actually played with his brother Marcus in a men’s league lol. And randomly on the floor with Malik a few times when he was super young.

Malik was one of those who just never really got any better. He looked like the best player in any gym he walked into at 14 and just never looked more refined after, didn’t grow more, get more athletic, etc. At 14-15 he looked like Kevin Durant in the random old dude pickup game world lol. Always thought his NBA ceiling was a Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford type.

Austin Reaves and his brother actually won a state championship against Malik Monk before Malik transferred off to a bigger school. Austin and Malik were freshman. Reaves went on to do some freaky **** by the time he was a senior, but I guess because he stayed at the smaller school he just didn’t catch buzz. But he averaged something like 30/8/5, dropped 70 something in game, and averaged like 45 in the state tournament over those 4-5 games his last year. Think he ended up with 3 state championships in total.

Never pictured Reaves as an NBA player. You just never know if guys like him can create shots at the next level much less the NBA level. And even though they would play some bigger schools every year most of his games were against smaller schools. He also had bad shoulders back then.. Played with him a couple of times too when he was young, but he wasn’t a freak at 14 like Malik. He was small, crafty and had the IQ, but looked like a little kid still.

Reaves has awkward posture but is as tall as advertised. I’d guess around 6’6 in his shoes. So you can imagine by his senior year, playing these tiny *** schools, he’s basically deflecting passes and getting dunks, and shooting over the top of everyone.

Malik was about what I expected at Kentucky. Very similar player to what he had been for years at that point. But he’d basically been showcasing that against the best of the best AAU guys since he was a kid. Reaves was about what I expected at Wichita State, I was somewhat surprised a school that prestigious even offered him. That last year with Oklahoma I think he finished like 1-2ppg behind Cade for the conference scoring leader.. that’s when I first thought maybe he had a shot and he was popping up as a late first rounder/early 2nd on mock drafts at that point.

It is kinda funny when people used to freak out when Austin had decent scoring games in the league. Idk if it was because the causal fans just really wanted to dub the next Lakers white guy as Caruso 2.0 or what. They play nothing alike.. But if you give Austin space he’s going to fill it up. Dude averaged like 20 a game at OK, was dropping 70 on people in high school. Scoring is what he does and he’s never needed the 3 ball to do it, but he has that too. Again I never thought I’d see him doing it on this stage, but it’s just funny to see so many people just having no clue lol.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:19 AM   #74
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Thoughts on Bronny James as an NBA player?
Old 03-29-2023, 04:24 PM   #75
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2023, 08:47 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

He honestly looks a lot better than I thought. He’s got some freaky athletic ability. But at his size I just can’t predict. Are guys like that going to end up like D Rose or Westbrook or more like Dennis Smith Jr?

I will say compared to most super athletic “small” guys like that he has a far more developed outside shot. And he seems to knock it down with regularity whether it’s off the dribble, moving into space, or just at a stand still.

Also you can tell he just has incredible genetics. A shame for him that he didn’t get more of the height but dude is already built better than most pros. And I doubt he’s had to work THAT hard in the weight room or with his diet to get there. He’s a unit. The legs are trunks man. But obviously if he was 6’5, 6’6 he’d be looking more like a projected top pick.

Can’t judge many, if any, of these dudes based on HS anymore. So I can’t just say he looks like a pro, or like a top whatever pick. But I will say he looks like one of the guys who have benefitted from playing at a big time school with lots of talent, and in the AAU circuit with lots of talent. He seems to have a good grasp on moving the ball, without the ball, and not needing to be the dude taking all the shots to be effective.

I will say I’m not sold on this defensive motor and stuff they are hyping up. I think he looks like an elite defender, but you just can’t compare defending HS kids to NBA players. If he stepped on the floor tomorrow he’d be among the smallest guys out there. Defending guys substantially bigger, stronger, faster than he’s defending now.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:03 PM   #77
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I've wanted this guy in for a while. I think he'll contribute early. Like a Josh Hart almost.
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...KbM_yn0AQ&s=19

Last edited by jeebs9; 04-06-2023 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:04 PM   #78
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

I need to hear:

“..that means the Pelicans/Raptors/Thunder/Bulls have just moved up”
Old 05-15-2023, 04:20 PM   #79
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Man, I wish the draft lottery was tonight instead of tomorrow. Would give us something to talk about while we wait for the conference finals.

Anyway, I'm hoping for Wemby/the #1 pick but will settle for anyone in the top 4 (Wemby, Scoot, then anyone from Whitmore, Miller, or Walker).

The Thompson twins are really intriguing prospects, yet they have a lot of holes in their games and played against pedestrian competition at the OTE.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 05-15-2023, 04:27 PM   #80

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush

I need to hear:

“..that means the Pelicans/Raptors/Thunder/Bulls have just moved up”
Don't know what this fan base will do if the Raptors move up AGAIN (they already lucked into getting Scottie 2 years ago).

Definitely means the end of Siakam (if they get 1) and/or Van Vleet (if they get 2 or 3).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »