Home

What's your All-Time Starting 5?

This is a discussion on What's your All-Time Starting 5? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What's your All-Time Starting 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I could go with your lineup.

And very good point about Mitch reaching is stride in Sactown... that's the kind of thing that makes these lists tough, but I think that's a fair qualification. With that said, I reject the participation angle. The details of what he did on those teams deserve consideration, but in basketball, of all sports, unless you're the alpha, your contribution to records and titles "could" be all over the place... no credit for that.

But yeah, I'm not trying to call Klay a scrub by any means. Just not ready to put him in the HOF where all 3 of those guys are.

I think if Klay had a small role on those teams it would be one thing, but given that he's one of the best players on the team it definitely adds to his Warriors credentials in my opinion. Especially the way he emerged last season, he was their best player for a good chunk of the playoffs. Averaged over 30 a game in the Portland series and really carried them the games Steph was out.

Mitch's Warriors resume will be 3 seasons of scoring about 20 a night, with two second round playoff exits, no All Star teams, no All NBA teams. Klay has been their 6 years his scoring is slightly less due to his first two years, but the last 3 are actually better. He's got a championship, two finals appearances, likely what will be his 3rd All Star team this year, likely his 3rd All NBA team, wouldn't be surprised if he got his first all defensive team either.

If his career continues what it's been for the past two-three seasons now he will EASILY be a hall of fame player. Maybe not quite the level of what Mitch was, but that's more in comparison to his Kings career than his Warriors career.

I guess it does depend on how you match your criteria. But from my perspective I'm not basing what a player did on one franchise to credit it towards another. Mitch was a good player in Golden State but he wasn't his team's go-to guy either, he wasn't the bonafide 2nd to Jordan shooting guard yet, wasn't an All Star yet, wasn't with the team for very long, and achieved very little overall success in comparison to what Klay has achieved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #74

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
How can you justify Klay starting over any of the 3 on your bench? Richmond, at his peak, was considered 2nd to only Jordan at SG.

Serious question because this is now 2 lists that have him starting when I think it's a stretch that he even makes the team (that's supposed to be 6 total).
I'm a huge Mitch Richmond fan. In fact, if I could only own one Warriors jersey for the rest of my life, it would probably be a Mitch Richmond one. Mostly because that's the era I started watching NBA, and it's not a jersey you see a lot. I guess I just rate Klay up there because of postseason success, rightly or wrongly.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #75
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

As far as solely speaking on the SG spot I actually think Sprewell is up there with those guys. He's in the conversation, aside from his behavior lol.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #76
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Realistically if you just stuck that team on the court right now Frye being able to space the floor would likely be the more strategic fit. But Frye definitely wouldn't make the Magic's all time roster, even if it was extended to a 13 man squad.

I would pick Dwight because most of these teams will have size and a post scoring skill set. Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Dirk, KG, McHale, Elvin Hayes, Pettit, Bosh, Gasol, J O'Neal, either Zo/Bosh next to Shaq in Miami, Rockets would likely start a combo of Hakeem/Sampson/Yao/Malone, Golden State would likely start Thurmond next to Wilt, Portland Lucas/Aldridge/Wallace, Reed or Oakley next to Ewing.. Dwight gives them the best chance to defend those guys with size, and battle the physical rebound types like Rodman, Oak, etc.

Obviously you might start someone else if someone like Dirk pulls him out and hurts him, or someone like Kemp/Blake is a little too quick. But in most of these matchups against a traditional two-big lineup he gives the Magic a bigger benefit than starting Shard Lewis or Horace Grant does.

Offensively I wouldn't even worry about it. Shaq will get all the touches as already mentioned, and draw the bigger/stronger defender. Dwight is the best offensive rebounder they've had, finishes the lobs as well as any player they've had, he's extremely efficient, and even at his peak only attempted about 12 shots a night anyways.

Dwight doesn't finish lobs as well as Shaq lol (nitpicking).

Yeah, I honestly don't know if the benefit on defense (and if we're talking real minutes each player can play... but we probably aren't if we're only carrying 6 players) make up for the issues on offense. But the discussion turned into Dwight being the PF and I don't really see anything benefiting that. If we're saying he should be there because of defensive impact then it doesn't matter on offense. Put Shaq at the floor because he's more versatile offensively.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #77
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
As far as solely speaking on the SG spot I actually think Sprewell is up there with those guys. He's in the conversation, aside from his behavior lol.

Fair points by both of you guys.

I feel like Sprewell should be higher on one of these teams too... couldn't decide between GS or MIN. But I'd have to go back to what he was doing specifically. I agree with you on Mitch, and would want to look closer at what Spre was doing in GS specifically too.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

I guess I just don't see him hurting them offensively any like you do. The entire 90's decade was stocked full of teams who started two big men with one of them offering far less offensively than Dwight does.

He's proven he doesn't need tons of touches, and at his best was getting you 20 a night on 10-11 shots simply from being too big, strong, and athletic for players to handle at the basket. I actually think that's magnified greatly with players having to help/double on Shaq and Penny setting him up instead of Jameer.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Put Shaq at the floor because he's more versatile offensively.

He's more versatile, but I'm not sure what you label them offensively really matters honestly. Shaq will get all the isolated post touches and the other teams bigger/stronger player will have to guard him. So he will be typically posting with the other teams center on him and defending centers himself at the other by default.

Even if Howard's main role was a trash man, or crashing and cutting like a Tristian Thompson type he's going to be a handful to stop and keep off the rim with the other teams best big stuck on Shaq.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »