Home

What do you think of this "stop flopping" idea?

This is a discussion on What do you think of this "stop flopping" idea? within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What do you think of this "stop flopping" idea?

In the grand scheme of things I don't think many players are really going to care if they have to sit one game. But this would never fly because it would lose teams/the league money. If you suspend Curry, LeBron, Westbrook for a game then that game instantly draws less revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
In the grand scheme of things I don't think many players are really going to care if they have to sit one game. But this would never fly because it would lose teams/the league money. If you suspend Curry, LeBron, Westbrook for a game then that game instantly draws less revenue.

I agree completely OJ and to further expand on OJ's What happens when you have the inevitable time where one of your superstars is hurt? For example now (Love and Durant) and you have 2 of Curry, Green, Klay, Kyrie or Lebron go down with this 1 game suspension who is now going to want to watch or attend this game? I sure as hell wouldn't. I mean we as fans get pissed when these guys all take a night off because of rest. But now we are supposed be OK with a guy being suspended over a bull rule and another guy being out because he is injured?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
Rookie

33JAF's Arena

Just make an All NBA flop team each year, and then next season they all have to wear some kind of pink patch on their jersey to signify their floppiness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boge
You're caught flopping, you get a 1 game suspension. The fines don't seem to work. I can't imagine this not working, and I actually can't understand why they wouldn't want something this sever. You want to stop it from happening? You have to take extreme measures.

Obviously they would be thoroughly reviewed after the games and when in doubt, there wouldn't be a suspension.

Aside from some that are in the bad habbit of it and would have to learn the hard way, I think it would catch on quick. There's no way anyone would flop during the playoffs. That's way too costly to risk.

How long have you been watching NBA? Since they started fining flopping is way way down. Before you couldn't go a single game with out seeing like at least 3-4 really bad flops. I would say flopping is down like 1000% the last few years night and day difference. Also refs have gotten better the last few years to but NBA refs are still the worst in any sport. If the refs where much better and not stupid enough to fall for flopping then there wouldn't be flopping in the first place.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza

I disagree because when a player is suspended they don't get paid for that game and with how much guys are playing 1 game pay check is a lot more money then like a 10000 fine or something. Also the talk in here about how refs are not going to get ever call right drives me nuts. Yes it is true some calls are going to be missed because they are human but NBA refs are much worse then MLB, NFL and also worse then NHL and there are hard calls to make in those sports to and its not just NBA where you don't have the good angle sometimes. Yet those other sports they get the right call way more often then NBA.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
There is flopping where a player exaggerated the contact of an actual foul. I understand that and wouldn't call for a suspension on such a flop. Then there are those where players aren't even touched, but they straight up fake the contact. We've seen this from players where they weren't even touched, but they act like they just got hit in the face and the ref calls a foul. Those are the flops that straight up need to stop and I don't see it happening unless a real punishment is in place, like a suspension. This is basketball, not theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF5E4bzEqm8

You see a few moments in here where the defender PRETENDS to get hit in the face resulting in a foul call. These can be critical game deciding calls and the refs should not be put in the position to make those decisions, not if they have to make the call right then and there without a review. Those flops should result in a suspension in my opinion.

How else would you propose to keep players from flopping?
I think your clarification here is very important. "Flopping" often ends up being an umbrella term for any sort of perceivable suspicion of exaggerated contact.

Even with that distinction in mind, I'm not sure I see a ton of insane-o-flops like that these days. I think the rule created a few years ago to curb some of the exaggerations even helped cut back on a lot of what we were seeing back then.

This topic reminds me though... all that talk about how there was going to be no way to properly eliminate Hack-a-Shaq from the game, how are we feeling about where we stand these days?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

I don't have any original ideas for the hack-a-player. I think it's an interesting strategy that doesn't seem all that effective though. It works against them about as often as it works for them. I don't mind it myself. It extends games, what, 10 minutes? No bid deal. They've changed the rule now to no intentional fouling in the last 2 minutes of every quarter for this season. They could make that in effect the entire quarter, but then we end up falling on the refs for "bad calls" all over again. It might just be a trial and error thing they'll have to figure out year to year until something works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I don't have any original ideas for the hack-a-player. I think it's an interesting strategy that doesn't seem all that effective though. It works against them about as often as it works for them. I don't mind it myself. It extends games, what, 10 minutes? No bid deal. They've changed the rule now to no intentional fouling in the last 2 minutes of every quarter for this season. They could make that in effect the entire quarter, but then we end up falling on the refs for "bad calls" all over again. It might just be a trial and error thing they'll have to figure out year to year until something works.
I feel that. My primary point there was I think minor rule changes can make a difference. After exploding last year—intentional fouls almost tripled between 2015 and 2016—they now appear to be hanging on by a thread. People still use the strategy, but almost as an afterthought now. I think it was a matter of a lot of teams just waiting for an excuse not to abuse that strategy.

I feel similarly about the flopping. If there's no consequences, some players may be willing to give it a shot because there's nothing to lose (aside from one's dignity). By tacking on the tiered penalties (fines and possibly suspension after numerous violations), everyone now had to make a choice when deciding whether to flop, with most figuring it's no longer worth the risk.

In contrast, I think embellishing contact is always going to be there to some degree. I embellished when I played as well; it's a psychological game within a game. If an opponent grabbed and held onto my jersey so I couldn't move off the ball, that's an unfair advantage. So, to level things out, I'd make a move—along with a little flail—that I wouldn't have otherwise, aimed at making his illegal act appear obvious and apparent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »