Home

NBA All Star Weekend Thread

This is a discussion on NBA All Star Weekend Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #113
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA All Star Weekend Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Diallo did pretty good, but all 3 of the others disappointed.. ehh

We need LaVine/Gordon again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't worry, LaVine will be in next year looking to show out.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:36 PM   #114

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

We're getting Ric Flair tomorrow I guess? Arena was playing his music on Friday pregame during some rehearsal. Apparently a Steph Curry video was playing during it.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #115
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04

I mean, it makes or breaks the dunk. Diallo is not honey dipping over Shaq if he doesn't boost (or else he wouldn't have boosted). As such, it makes the dunk feel kind of artificial.

Like Vince isn’t clearing Weis without a boost, Blake is Mozgov’ing without a boost, those are looked at as some of the best dunks ever...

I would have held it against him more had he really pushed that arm off. I can’t go lower than a 9 for what it was.. which still wins him this contest easily. But that’s not saying much lol.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #116
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

I mean Dennis Smith isn’t getting high enough to do that dunk over J. Cole if he’s jumping with the ball instead of catching the oop. I guess that’s why I don’t look at it as a big deal.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:49 PM   #117
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Like Vince isn’t clearing Weis without a boost, Blake is Mozgov’ing without a boost, those are looked at as some of the best dunks ever...

I would have held it against him more had he really pushed that arm off. I can’t go lower than a 9 for what it was.. which still wins him this contest easily. But that’s not saying much lol.
I find there to be a strong differentiation between an in-game happenstance boost and an intentional boost occurring in a contest measuring an individual's ability to jump and dunk. I know, this next line is hyperbole, but if it's not about what a dude can do without jumping aide, then what's stopping them from bringing out a mini-trampoline?

Once you start being cool with dudes working in a little artificial advantage here and a little artificial jumping advantage there, that's when you end up with stuff like this:

And at that point, it's not even really about the art of the dunk anymore. It's literally a matter of mastering the gimmick and finding the most creative way to not have to fully rely upon your own ability and athleticism anymore.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:54 PM   #118
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

I mean there is just a massive difference in what Nate did and Diallo did... I don’t think we can just ignore that if we are trying to compare them as advantages. I’m not even sure Diallo for sure couldn’t have gotten that down without the hand.. maybe he couldn’t, but nobody else in this contest could have landed that same dunk with that little of a boost.. so it’s not like his ability was just taken out of display because of it.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:05 PM   #119
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I mean there is just a massive difference in what Nate did and Diallo did... I don’t think we can just ignore that if we are trying to compare them as advantages. I’m not even sure Diallo for sure couldn’t have gotten that down without the hand.. maybe he couldn’t, but nobody else in this contest could have landed that same dunk with that little of a boost.. so it’s not like his ability was just taken out of display because of it.
It comes down to what we want to see. I want to see how well guys can dunk on their own, not how well they can dunk while giving themselves an extra boost of varying degrees.

I think a part of it is it messes with my gauge. It's difficult to tell how good of a dunker a guy really is if I can't figure out what he can or can't do without an aide. If you watch almost any dunker in contest history, you know what they can and can't do because we got them and them only. Michael Jordan could take off from the line with ease, Vince could honey dip on his own, Jason Richardson could put down a between-the-legs reverse from the baseline, Tony Dumas couldn't make a single dunk, etc.

In contrast, here we are wondering exactly what Diallo could or couldn't do on his own. 10 out of 10 times, I'd rather see Vince Carter perform on his own, as he did in 2000, instead of watching him boost off of Charles Oakley's back and putting his doggone shoulder in the rim.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:09 PM   #120
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
As long as you make anything its basically an 8. But I'd give it an 8.
These bigger stronger more athletic players sure do operate on lower standards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »