Home

NBA All Star Weekend Thread

This is a discussion on NBA All Star Weekend Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2019, 02:23 PM   #265
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA All Star Weekend Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
He had plenty of difficult dunks that he pulled off with seemingly ease that these supposed "bigger stronger faster" guys struggle with today.

I dont see a quickness issue here as I do with them stupidly darkening the entire arena.
To clarify what I meant, there was almost a "pause" like effect in Vince's dunk where the ball was through his legs at his apex which made it look as if he was just staring at the rim for a second. I don't have any issue with Jason's dunks, it's just the moving parts happen so fast as one motion that I prefer Vince's dunk to his. I didn't mean they were bad dunks lol.

And for the whole "bigger, faster, stronger" I think when people say that they mean the league as a whole. I don't think they mean literally every player, or that freaks wouldn't still be freaks.. Plus, this wasn't even that long ago so IDK who would say that in comparison to someone from basically the same era.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #266
G.O.A.T.

TMagic's Arena

OVR: 30

OJ...we know Dre is the epitome of "back in my day"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Operation Sports mobile app

Twitter: @ThoseFools

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEC...cd41cJK2238sIA
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #267
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
OJ...we know Dre is the epitome of "back in my day"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Operation Sports mobile app
Nah I'm not a back in my day guy.

The bigger faster stronger was a shot at these athletes not being able to complete their dunks without 50 attempts first.

As an example, I posted a video of J Rich which as stated above is NOT that long ago at all and those are the memorable ones...same as the Lavine/Gordon contest which I also referenced.

Nice try though TMagic
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #268
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Van Gundy says it’s time to get rid of it

Quote:
MIAMI (AP) — Jeff Van Gundy has an idea on how to fix the NBA All-Star Game.

His plan: Eliminate it.

Van Gundy, the former NBA coach and now longtime television commentator for ABC and ESPN, said what he’s seeing now from the game is embarrassing and “a bastardization of the game that is beautiful to watch.” The teams picked by captains LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo combined to attempt a record 167 3-pointers in Sunday night’s game – and 96 of the 134 field goals in the game came off either 3s or dunks.

“You can be a Division III player like myself and be All-Star MVP,” Van Gundy said. “All you have to do is drive in and shoot a layup.”

Van Gundy coached in the 2000 All-Star game, his Eastern Conference team falling to Phil Jackson and the Western Conference 137-126. There was no shortage of alley-oops tried in that game, though Tim Duncan, Alonzo Mourning and Shaquille O’Neal spent plenty of time defending the rim against those lobs as well.

“I would name All-Stars, I would have All-Star weekend, they have all these things, introduce them … the players are great, they should be applauded,” Van Gundy said this week, while preparing to coach USA Basketball’s team picked for the final two games of qualifying for this summer’s FIBA World Cup in China. “But to take this game and shoot 160 3s, it’s an embarrassment. It’s an embarrassment.”

Van Gundy said he doesn’t need to see a game with Game 7, playoff-level intensity.

He just wants to see some effort.

“The equivalent would be like Major League Baseball, a guy hits the ball, you throw it to him at 70 mph because you’re not trying,” Van Gundy said. “And then you hit it and no one chases it and you just let a guy circle and score and you have unlimited runs. You’ve got to try.”

Players, including James and National Basketball Players Association President Chris Paul, along with NBA Commissioner Adam Silver all said after the 192-182 game two years ago that the All-Star game had to be more competitive.

“Let’s just say it: They don’t want to play,” Van Gundy said. “Adam said, `It’s got to be fixed.’ There’s nothing fixed.”

Last year went down to the wire, a 148-145 game that was well received. This year’s 178-164 game was won by James’ Team LeBron, which trailed by 20 points in the second half before rallying – largely behind the 3-pointer. James’ team took 65 shots in the second half, and 49 of those were 3-point tries.

And players this year didn’t seem to mind the way the game unfolded.

“It’s just about having fun,” Oklahoma City’s Paul George said Sunday night. “At the end of the day, it’s for the fans. It’s just to have fun.”
Old 02-21-2019, 06:02 PM   #269
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Granted, I do believe the competitive nature of the all-star game has been at a steady decline for some time now but generally speaking, the game itself has always been kind of a extreme version of whatever playstyle was en vogue at the time.

The Kings and Warriors shot a combined 41-of-83 from deep a little over a month ago and some guys are attempting over 20 by themselves, so I guess it's only natural the all-star game is an extreme version of performances like that.

That said, I guess 167 attempts is still pretty wild. It didn't feel like that much but looking at the box score in hindsight is pretty wild. LeBron James' team hit 35, with three different players hitting at least six.

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_2019.html

Edit: That said, I'm watching the 1991 All-Star Game as we speak and just heard this from Mike Fratello: "It's one of the things (Rick) Adelman told us. 'I got to double team and trap in this game. We're too small for that team.' "

I'm not sure we'd ever hear much these days about an all-star game plan revolving around double teaming as a means of capitalizing via defensive pressure in the first quarter.

Last edited by VDusen04; 02-21-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #270

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

I wonder if any crazy suggestions have been thought of for all star format.

Like instead of 2 teams, we have 4 (each with 6 guys). 4 captains draft their roster (snake style). Games end up tournament style. 1v2,3v4 (highest vote getter gets to choose which team his team faces). Each game is 16 minutes long (8 min halves). Winner of each faces off in finals.

All star benches can make up starting lineups in their own right, why not make it almost exclusively starting lineups?

This way, we see more of the all stars, the ones who only want to be here for a few minutes/take away from someone elses experience can just sit out of the event entirely, there's a more competitive nature involved (since you'd want to win your game to move on), and we have less "exhibition time" in the total 48 minutes of action.

Last edited by Majingir; 02-21-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #271
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Listening to a little bit about the first NBA All-Star Game in 1951.

-The first ever All-Star MVP, Ed Macauley, didn't know he'd won that award until two years after the fact. The league didn't know whether an all-star game would take off so there was no ASG MVP the first year or two. When it became clear the game was a favorite among fans, the league went back, reviewed, and retroactively awarded the first two All-Star MVPs.

-All-star locker rooms were apparently a little awkward and uncomfortable on account of opponents not fraternizing with one another at that point. Some hated each other.

-Every participant was awarded a $25 government bond for their participation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #272
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Listening to a little bit about the first NBA All-Star Game in 1951.

-The first ever All-Star MVP, Ed Macauley, didn't know he'd won that award until two years after the fact. The league didn't know whether an all-star game would take off so there was no ASG MVP the first year or two. When it became clear the game was a favorite among fans, the league went back, reviewed, and retroactively awarded the first two All-Star MVPs.

-All-star locker rooms were apparently a little awkward and uncomfortable on account of opponents not fraternizing with one another at that point. Some hated each other.

-Every participant was awarded a $25 government bond for their participation.
Thanks for the Nuggets of knowledge here!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »