Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2022, 10:10 PM   #305
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

For a lot of folks if players aren't being intentionally injured, then "Just Win Baby" applies, i.e. whatever methods the rule of law of the game allows is fine and should be used. For others the spirit of the game matters as much as winning so there will always be conflict between those two philosophies, and leagues are always having to decide when the former is being too disruptive to the game. Not everyone will agree about changes that are made that keep the latter from being subverted too often, so here we are.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2022, 10:10 PM   #306
MVP

MrDubya's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
A few things. I don't like that after an 82 game season we're putting 20 teams in the post-season (and yes I would call it that), including teams that are 14 games below .500. I'd you finish with the 7th-8th best record you should get those spots.

Also, it's a one time gimmick that had no reason to continue, but because of the viewership and social media interaction of course it kept going. And that's the same reason we're going to have this pointless mid-season tournament. They could add dozens of gimmicks that would result in more people talking about the product, but that doesn't mean they should do any of them. It ain't broken.

I have to agree. While we got some memorable moments, I much preferred the traditional way. 8 teams from each conference get in. 9th seeds and lower are eliminated from contention. I get why they're doing it, but me personally, I could do without the play-in gimmicks.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:42 PM   #307
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
NBA Off Topic Thread

I just think y’all be dramatic with it and act like the game is being ruined every time something that doesn’t “need” to be changed is changed.

Even the whole “legitimate basketball” thing came across elitist/holier than thou because that’s subjective anyway.

This wasn’t like Harden or others out here gaming the system by baiting Officials into calls where that is legitimately bad. This is more “I’m not entertained by this so get it out of MY game before it ruins it!”. And I understand it because it is a sport and ultimately y’all want to be sports entertained.

And it’s ok to admit that because that’s exactly what it is. Doesn’t mean having that thought it bad or anything.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 05-18-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:22 PM   #308
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
“I’m not entertained by this so get it out of MY game before it ruins it!”. And I understand it because it is a sport and ultimately y’all want to be sports entertained.

And it’s ok to admit that because that’s exactly what it is. Doesn’t mean having that thought it bad or anything.
That sounds pretty dramatic, to be honest.

It's pretty basic, really. The league's considering making a small change many view to be positive and we applaud it.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:56 AM   #309
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

I don’t even like the play-in games for March Madness. Just start with 64 teams

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-19-2022, 08:08 AM   #310
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I just think y’all be dramatic with it and act like the game is being ruined every time something that doesn’t “need” to be changed is changed.

Even the whole “legitimate basketball” thing came across elitist/holier than thou because that’s subjective anyway.

This wasn’t like Harden or others out here gaming the system by baiting Officials into calls where that is legitimately bad. This is more “I’m not entertained by this so get it out of MY game before it ruins it!”. And I understand it because it is a sport and ultimately y’all want to be sports entertained.

Isn’t the above essentially your thoughts on the play in?
Old 05-19-2022, 08:29 AM   #311
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps91
I don’t even like the play-in games for March Madness. Just start with 64 teams

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
The play-in with college feels grosser to me because the way it used to work, if one of those small schools won their conference, they got a chance to play against the big boys. Then the NCAA decided they just wanted more big name schools so they basically made the small school conference winners play each other for a spot to reserve more space for the big schools.

It's definitely pretty similar to what the NBA has done overall, but I like the NBA play-in and strongly dislike the NCAA play-in.

Edit: Then again, you could also argue that the conference tournaments are essentially the same as the play-in tournament in the NBA too, as you can have a small school go undefeated in the regular season and then still miss the NCAA tournament because they lost in their conference tournament to a random team that went on a heater.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2022, 08:39 AM   #312
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
The play-in with college feels grosser to me because the way it used to work, if one of those small schools won their conference, they got a chance to play against the big boys. Then the NCAA decided they just wanted more big name schools so they basically made the small school conference winners play each other for a spot to reserve more space for the big schools.

It's definitely pretty similar to what the NBA has done overall, but I like the NBA play-in and strongly dislike the NCAA play-in.

Edit: Then again, you could also argue that the conference tournaments are essentially the same as the play-in tournament in the NBA too, as you can have a small school go undefeated in the regular season and then still miss the NCAA tournament because they lost in their conference tournament to a random team that went on a heater.
That was always my argument. If you are a small school you really want to win that conference tournament. If you don't win the conference tournament then, tough cookie.

I can understand the incentive for the play-in games for NBA but...82 games is just too many. I don't even watch the regular season at all anymore because I feel, most of the games, players aren't giving full effort. Playoffs are more competitive so I can watch it. I hate no-defense basketball.

I'm going off topic now but I'd prefer like a 58 game season. Playoffs are 5-5-7-7. 10 minute quarters. Sometimes, less is more.

Last edited by Gramps91; 05-19-2022 at 08:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »