Home

PES 2009 Impressions Coming Friday 17/10

This is a discussion on PES 2009 Impressions Coming Friday 17/10 within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #33
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: PES 2009 Impressions Coming Friday 17/10

I think that stats are way off for most of these players, especially goalkeepers and defenders. I usually have to do some major stat tweaking with the guys at PES stat database to make this game play better. I know it helped PES 08 and Im sure it will do the same for this.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #34
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Just got the game and played two quick matches.

Both with Arsenal against Man City.

Just some observations:

-The AI seems MUCH improved from 2008. I'm only playing on Pro, and it is still kicking my butt. The CPU plays smart positioning without simply being hyper aggressive at every point of the field. You can use space if you find it, but as you get closer to goal they close you down more. You cannot simply sprint down the sides and throw crosses into the box and win. This is the big seller for the game for me as an offline player. The CPU can win the ball from you, but you can also beat them too. It feels much more fair and realistic. I was down a goal to City about 65 minutes in, and they start passing the ball around midfield casually, wasting time. They also let me pass the ball around the outside but never let me get into the D.

-Shooting and crossing is much harder now. You have to work harder for goals now. Not that scoring is impossible, but the easy plays from 2008 are gone. Goals are earned now, without being too difficult or random.

-The new editing options are cool so far. I entered in all the EPL teams and took quick pictures of the team logos from my vision cam from my laptop. I'll need to do a better job later on, but for 10 minutes work I have the teams and logos right. Uniforms will come later.

-Playing the ball is so smooth and fluid. You have great control of the players.

-The pace of the game is very well done.

Haven't touched online or other modes.

Very early so far, but I am loving what I've seen so far. The only negative is the lack of true 360 movement. This has to be put in by Konami next year.

So far, this is easily my 2nd favorite 09 sports game behind NHL 09.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #35
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Played 2 games and the gameplay once again sizzles. Of course it's not perfect, but it's back to what PES used to be.

The one flaw that STILL has not been fixed is when you take control of a defender and then switch to another player the defender doesn't go back to his position leaving open spaces.

As Juventus, I had Zebina playing left back and I brought him into the offensive end with the ball. Zebina gets tackled by a defender who passes the ball to the middle of the pitch. I switch players to make a play on the ball but Zebina continues to chase the ball for three passes leaving a wide open lane down the left side of the field.

Other than that I played 2 games and lost both 3-0. Man I forgot how difficult this game was! I need to hit the training pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 AM   #36
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Just beat USA with England 5-1 (no real surprise) on Pro

The AI logic is puzzling for the second game in a row.

I scored my 4th goal at the 54 minute mark, yet, the cpu did not adjust formation or sub until the 82 minute mark.

And, even then, it was just a striker for striker deal, Altidore for Johnson. No formation change and we're at the 82 minute mark with the cpu down by 3 goals? Thats bad.

I score in the 88th minute to make it 5-1.

Finally, way too little/way too late, at the 89th minute the cpu pulls Filander (not sure who that is) a DM for Singo (again, no clue) a CF and they go with 3 up front.

Bad, bad logic. It was much better last year.

I am loving the amount and variety of fouls.
Also, it plays way too fast after playing FIFA on slow.

If the substitution logic doesnt get any better I may be back to FIFA. Never thought I'd say that
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #37
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree

If the substitution logic doesnt get any better I may be back to FIFA. Never thought I'd say that
That's surprising, because if there's one thing I thought PES still does better it's that. I noticed in the demo the AI made some pretty good sub and formation changes, so maybe it was just the one game?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #38
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Surprising to me as well.

I love this years FIFA (thats a 1st for me). But, I have been vocal about its terrible substitution and formation changing logic. It swaps position for position based only on fatigue. And, it does not add a 3rd attacker when it should nor does it pull defenders.

These are all things PES has done well for years. When the CPU pulls a defender and adds a 3rd attacker you really feel pressured and its very hard to hold a lead.

In only 2 games with this iteration, I haven't seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
That's surprising, because if there's one thing I thought PES still does better it's that. I noticed in the demo the AI made some pretty good sub and formation changes, so maybe it was just the one game?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #39
MVP

phillyfan23's Arena

OVR: 16

I've played a lot of games offline and altho the pace is slower than pes 2008, it is still too fast especially after playing on slow/normal mode in fifa. If some of you feel the same way, i made some very quick and simple edits. maybe you will see a better game due to it.

2 edits only.....( do this for all the players or only the starting 11 for a quick test)

lower top speed by 20 points
lower short pass speed( basically means ground pass) by 10 points.

I did this for 2 teams england and holland.....played some matches and the pace makes a big difference in overall gameplay. it WILL be a bitch to edit the hundred odd teams but if it makes the game better, I will take a whole weekend if I must to edit these teams.

Hopefully, some of you guys, who feel the game is still too quick, try this and see if you like it better....

Last edited by phillyfan23; 11-13-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:46 AM   #40
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

I honestly think the game is a bit slower than expected. Played quite a few games already and have really enjoyed the experience. This really feels more like soccer than FIFA - the act of randomness and the ball is independent of players - it doesn't feel like I am glued to the ball, which feels like I have to control - I love it.

I love that it is so hard to break the defense on Pro difficulty. The pace of the game dictates that, it is perfect in my opinion.

Going to play one more game then call it a night. Can't wait for a US OF to come out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »