Home

The mysterious art of defending

This is a discussion on The mysterious art of defending within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The mysterious art of defending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalMindz
I hear ya. I think we're talking about the same problem. But I do think the space is related to what you're saying. Every time the CPU receives a pass from a teammate, they have too much time on the ball because our teammate markers are giving them too much space. So there's no pressure, and by the time you sprint to apply pressure, it's too late.

My thought is this is why you can't influence defending - because you can't get to them soon enough because of the space afforded by the marking settings. This is why I'm winning matches and not conceding often but I'll end the match with 5 tackles or less but often with 15 interceptions.

If the marking was tighter, you'd be able to apply pressure and influence play. At least that's my theory, but I completely agree that as things stand, defending is more frustrating than fun, especially on the higher difficulty settings.
This is pretty much how I see this also. AI man marking isn’t as tight as it should be and this combined with broken AI results in ping-pong gameplay. If they patch AI to dribble and tone down first touch passing (and first touch accuracy) gameplay would be much better.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

I personally find no issue with the amount of tackles that we are seeing per game from a stats standpoint. I always felt like tackles were a little too high in the past and I like what I have seen in regards to Interceptions trending a little higher (maybe a little too high?) as it has led to a more realistic pass percentages which I felt PES has struggled to get right for years even though last years wasn't too bad. If you check the EPL, last year teams averaged between 19 to 14 tackles per game and we really shouldn't be seeing that high amount game to game in footy video game. In FIFA I always felt like you see way too many tackles in just one match which has always bothered me.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

iaxy, I hear what you're saying about Super Cancel defending. I watched the same video for 2018 and it does give you more freedom when controlling your defender. My problem with this is that running around with R1+R2 held down at all times just feels super awkward and counterintuitive from a controller standpoint.

If Super Cancel is indeed the secret to free-form defending, then Konami should just call it "manual defending" and map it to the same button as the other manual controls (L2 I believe).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I personally find no issue with the amount of tackles that we are seeing per game from a stats standpoint. I always felt like tackles were a little too high in the past and I like what I have seen in regards to Interceptions trending a little higher (maybe a little too high?) as it has led to a more realistic pass percentages which I felt PES has struggled to get right for years even though last years wasn't too bad. If you check the EPL, last year teams averaged between 19 to 14 tackles per game and we really shouldn't be seeing that high amount game to game in footy video game. In FIFA I always felt like you see way too many tackles in just one match which has always bothered me.
Why wouldn't we want a realistic number of tackles? We want realistic goal numbers, shot attempts, pass accuracy, shot accuracy - why not tackles?

Regardless of the actual numbers, I'm more concerned with the fact that the interception-to-tackle ratio is backwards in PES because it's indicative of an imbalance in gameplay. In the matches I played yesterday, I had two matches where I finished with almost 30 interceptions but only TWO tackles in each match. I won both, conceding only one goal in the two matches, so I'm solid enough in defense, but the whole experience of defending is just off.

Defending against the CPU this year in PES reminds me of FIFA from several years back when defending was equally as frustrating because on default settings you simply couldn't get close enough to CPU dribblers to apply pressure and influence play. It's almost the same identical issue in PES this year.

This year, especially on the higher difficulty settings, defending in PES is really not representative of what defending should look like, and that's indicated by the wicked imbalance between interceptions and tackles. PES has completely nailed the experience of attacking against the CPU - just passing the ball around is sublime - but when it comes to defending, it's just not right.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #13
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
I would say this year is the first time in a while that I can defend the same I do on FIFA. I use Legacy defending on FIFA, and this year it feels the same on PES. I control either one of my CMF, and gradually remain in passing lanes. No sprinting around, just teammate pressuring when necessary, however not holding the pressure button for any significant amount of time - unless I see the AI backed into the corner.

Doing this allows my CMF to get back into the box, or at the top, and cut off the occasional low cross or CPU trying to cut through.

When I struggle, and lose matches, it's mainly because my gameplan went to crap or my own self discipline defensively wasn't on point. I know if I'm sprinting around with super cancel or straight lines, I'm in trouble. I'm definitely in trouble if I have to control my CBs too often.
I'm not sure that comparing defending in PES to FIFA's legacy defending is a positive. If anything, it just highlights the issues further.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #14
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

Quote:
Why wouldn't we want a realistic number of tackles? We want realistic goal numbers, shot attempts, pass accuracy, shot accuracy - why not tackles?

Regardless of the actual numbers, I'm more concerned with the fact that the interception-to-tackle ratio is backwards in PES because it's indicative of an imbalance in gameplay. In the matches I played yesterday, I had two matches where I finished with almost 30 interceptions but only TWO tackles in each match. I won both, conceding only one goal in the two matches, so I'm solid enough in defense, but the whole experience of defending is just off.

Defending against the CPU this year in PES reminds me of FIFA from several years back when defending was equally as frustrating because on default settings you simply couldn't get close enough to CPU dribblers to apply pressure and influence play. It's almost the same identical issue in PES this year.

This year, especially on the higher difficulty settings, defending in PES is really not representative of what defending should look like, and that's indicated by the wicked imbalance between interceptions and tackles. PES has completely nailed the experience of attacking against the CPU - just passing the ball around is sublime - but when it comes to defending, it's just not right.
Its a tricky thing to balance and emulate though something has to lack in Footy games especially since it is the only sports game (I think) where you can't play a full match length on your console or PC. Tackles or successful tackles to be specific which is what the game is recording are not a frequent occurrence throughout matches but see this also depends on the league, play styles etc. If you check La Liga tackles are even lower compared to EPL where interceptions can trend higher. It is also the reason why I mentioned it from a stats standpoint and not even a gameplay perspective which is a whole different thing. We don't even see any of those stats you mentioned 100% accurate but my whole point was that they are close to what you have in the sport and that is fine for me.

But I believe the point of this thread was about the defending and I blame it fully on the AI more than the defending mechanics. As someone who played a lot of matches against other players I felt defending felt great but I also I am not a person who likes to press a lot and tends to control space and play passing lanes. The AI definitely needs some work because I feel like they could also dribble a little more than they do now.

Last edited by RoyceDa59; 09-05-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #15
Rookie

ImmortalMindz's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
Its a tricky thing to balance and emulate though something has to lack in Footy games especially since it is the only sports game (I think) where you can't play a full match length on your console or PC. Tackles or successful tackles to be specific which is what the game is recording are not a frequent occurrence throughout matches but see this also depends on the league, play styles etc. If you check La Liga tackles are even lower compared to EPL where interceptions can trend higher. It is also the reason why I mentioned it from a stats standpoint and not even a gameplay perspective which is a whole different thing. We don't even see any of those stats you mentioned 100% accurate but my whole point was that they are close to what you have in the sport and that is fine for me.

But I believe the point of this thread was about the defending and I blame it fully on the AI more than the defending mechanics. As someone who played a lot of matches against other players I felt defending felt great but I also I am not a person who likes to press a lot and tends to control space and play passing lanes. The AI definitely needs some work because I feel like they could also dribble a little more than they do now.
Yes, I agree that the real numbers aren't as important. But regardless of which professional league you look at, all the top leagues have a tackle-to-intercept ratio that is close to 2:1. In PES 2019, that ratio is reversed, which to me clearly indicates that something is off.

And I agree, the AI is a big reason - maybe the biggest reason - for this. Not only is the marking too lose and players are making poor positional decisions, but the CPU attacking AI is at fault too. In PES 2019, the CPU almost refuses to take you on in 1-on-1 situations, so of course tackles aren't as high as they should be. The passing game - and first touch passing in particular - is so highly prioritized by the AI, of course that leads to imbalances.

I do think the defensive mechanics themselves are due for a major overhaul though. The defensive side of the game is still so heavily automated that it feels stuck a generation or two ago. (It's kinda funny playing PES after participating in the FIFA beta and seeing people completely up in arms about the assisted defending and improved defensive AI.) But also the double-tap tackle mechanic feels outdated and not particularly suited to the more modern speed of gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

Quote:
Yes, I agree that the real numbers aren't as important. But regardless of which professional league you look at, all the top leagues have a tackle-to-intercept ratio that is close to 2:1. In PES 2019, that ratio is reversed, which to me clearly indicates that something is off.

And I agree, the AI is a big reason - maybe the biggest reason - for this. Not only is the marking too lose and players are making poor positional decisions, but the CPU attacking AI is at fault too. In PES 2019, the CPU almost refuses to take you on in 1-on-1 situations, so of course tackles aren't as high as they should be. The passing game - and first touch passing in particular - is so highly prioritized by the AI, of course that leads to imbalances.

I do think the defensive mechanics themselves are due for a major overhaul though. The defensive side of the game is still so heavily automated that it feels stuck a generation or two ago. (It's kinda funny playing PES after participating in the FIFA beta and seeing people completely up in arms about the assisted defending and improved defensive AI.) But also the double-tap tackle mechanic feels outdated and not particularly suited to the more modern speed of gameplay.
I agree with this it does need to change, honestly I remember reading quite a few concerns about what changes were going to made to the defensive side of the game when PES 19 was first announced and honestly they haven't really announced any new gameplay changes to defence the pass couple of installments besides some new skills and Advance tactics. One thing that always bother me about PES is the amount of successful tackles you see going to the back of the ball carrier, these tackles just don't happen and almost always result in a foul. And the double tap tackle is rather odd because you don't even need to ever use to tackle in this game, but these are good criticisms that definitely need to be fed back to Konami.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »