Home

Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer.

This is a discussion on Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15
Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer.

Almost a direct quote from both Mark Schelreth (sp) and Ron Jaworski. Sean Salisbury has also mentioned this, now here's my question: Why is everyone so sure? Am I missing something? Does he get more second chances because he's such a great runner? There were clearly worries about both McNabb and Culpepper early on, but they both seemed to show notice improvement throughout their career. I haven't seen that from Vick. Now I understand it was a different offense this year, but the Eagles really exposed him, and eventually, a team is going to come up with some defense that forces him to throw. I'm sure the Atlanta fans will flame away - it'll be okay, it'll keep their minds off the Hawks- but should Vick struggle with his passing for the better part of his next season, what should the Falcons do? Scrap the offense, or scrap the QB?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Mike Vick will develop into a great pocket passer.

First, one Cowboy fan to another, we would both love to have Vick instead of the mess we are dealing with for the past 3-5 years. Second, If he continues to work hard, I see no reason why he can't continue to develop as a hybrid qb. If anyone was exposed it was his recievers who could not seperate all season. Peerless has been a bust. If you get him a top flight receiver, he will develop into the ultimate weapon.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I've said this before and i'll say it again:

Michael Vick really needs to work on his throwing mechanics. Yes some of the blame for him not being a good passer right now is his recievers but even with great recievers he'd still be struggling.

He still has a run first mentality when he should be throwing the ball away. It's this habit that will cause him to have less longevity then he would if he balanced his play a bit more. I can't see Vick being a guy that plays to his late 30s.

He could turn out to be a good passing QB if he works hard at it but as of this moment he's just a glorified WR or RB at the QB position.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #4
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
He still has a run first mentality when he should be throwing the ball away. It's this habit that will cause him to have less longevity then he would if he balanced his play a bit more. I can't see Vick being a guy that plays to his late 30s.
I agree.The problem I see with him is that he is way too eager to run.Now it's easy for me to say cause I don't have 300 pound lineman chasing me down,but I notice that many times he doesn't let the receiver's routes develop and just tries to run.

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 02-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
MVP

Saber's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas
First, one Cowboy fan to another, we would both love to have Vick instead of the mess we are dealing with for the past 3-5 years. Second, If he continues to work hard, I see no reason why he can't continue to develop as a hybrid qb. If anyone was exposed it was his recievers who could not seperate all season. Peerless has been a bust. If you get him a top flight receiver, he will develop into the ultimate weapon.
First off, I'm not sure I'd be completely sold on Vick. I prefer the mobile, drop back guys (Elway, Young, Gannon) who can move around (unlike Vinny) and still throw extremely well when forced to stay in the pocket (unlike Vick) Secondly, I think he'll continue to develop but there's a point where that development will stop. How great will his passing be then? Are we talking about a guy capable of completeing 60% of his passes over the course of a year? A guy who will throw 20-25 TDs? A guy who's QB rating will exceed 90? He certainly has all the tools, but nothing he's shown me thus far (in 36 career games, not counting playoffs) tells me that he'll ever develop into a consistant passer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm sure the Atlanta fans will flame away -

What does that quote mean exactly???
Old 02-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsmanTO
I've said this before and i'll say it again:

Michael Vick really needs to work on his throwing mechanics. Yes some of the blame for him not being a good passer right now is his recievers but even with great recievers he'd still be struggling.

He could turn out to be a good passing QB if he works hard at it but as of this moment he's just a glorified WR or RB at the QB position.
tru dat!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

From MY observation, it appears Mora is loving Michael Vick "as is" and is really not pushing the issue of "QB developement"...

THAT'S what gives me the biggest doubt about Vick.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »