Home

Seattle manages to sign pro-bowl LT Jones to long term contract

This is a discussion on Seattle manages to sign pro-bowl LT Jones to long term contract within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-16-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18
Seattle manages to sign pro-bowl LT Jones to long term contract

story: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3400460

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.

Jones, who recently played in yet another Pro Bowl, likely would have been designated with the dreaded franchise tag again had the ‘Hawks been unable to lock him up. That number was in the $8.4 million range for one year.

Considering the team has been running its ship with no skipper at the wheel, interim negotiator/team executive Mike Reinfeldt has actually put Seattle in place to secure its top two off-season priorities in Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

The team has already turned its attention toward getting something done with quarterback Hasselbeck. By getting a deal done with Jones — he is expected to officially sign later today — Seattle now has the luxury of franchising the quarterback. If they can lock up Hasselbeck too then they will have the tag to use on another free agent, such as Pro Bowl RB Shaun Alexander. In related news, the Seahawks are set to re-interview Dolphins executive Brian Wiedmeier, Falcons personnel man Ron Hill and Cardinals Senior Director of Football Operations Jon Idzik for the president of football operations post.
Seattle doesnt even have most of their front office in place but they managed to resign Jones arguably the best LT in football, since they get that monkey of their chest they can focus their attention towards re-signing Hasselbeck or Shaun and save their franchise tag for 1 of em.

Seahawks have alot of cap space looks like their using it wisely, and might even be able to keep the big 3 together. on a side note this deal makes Jones one of the highest paid offensive linemen in football.

Last edited by Feared; 02-16-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Seattle manages to sign pro-bowl LT Jones to long term contract

All Seahawk fans are dancing in the streets.

This was huge. They should franchise Alexander, and re-sign Hasselbeck.

Maybe trade Alexander if the right deal comes along. This may actually give them the ability to build up in the draft, and not just replace what they have. Still got problems, but if they bring all three back the may have a chance to actually make some noise next year.

Hopefully this year the media doesn't hype them up like crazy.

I wonder how good he might be if he came to training camp.

Last edited by keRplunK; 02-16-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Banned

OHguy00's Arena

OVR: 17

Damn, I was hoping they'd let him go. That's one less LT the Browns have to go after. Getting one in the draft may be our only option, unless the Redskins release Samuels.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHguy00
Damn, I was hoping they'd let him go. That's one less LT the Browns have to go after. Getting one in the draft may be our only option, unless the Redskins release Samuels.
They would never let him go. I'm just surprised that he'll be shoving Marcus Tubbs in training camp instead of trucks.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by keRplunK
All Seahawk fans are dancing in the streets.
I know I did when I first heard it on the radio.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

I got caught up by the big "news" of the day so I just caught this signing on a ticker.

Great news for the Hawk nation. Jones is one of the best O-Line guys in the league. It's going to be great to see him at the start of training camp now.

I heard Mortenson on the radio, and he said Alexander told him he wants to stay with the Hawks and he's already had a talk with Holmgren.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Seattle should release Hasselbeck and try to get Brees or a new QB in the draft.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Train Nsane or remainsame

Feared's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA3000
Seattle should release Hasselbeck and try to get Brees or a new QB in the draft.
you serious dude? Brees is gonna be tagged by San Diego soon, and Hasselbeck is a whole lot better than any rookie qb who would have to come in and learn the system, if seattle ditches Hass, they'll have to start Dilfer or scrap the season and start a rookie qb. Either way that equals mediocre season.

The safe bet IMO would be to re-sign or tag Hass and either tag/let go Alexander, it's alot easier to find a replacement RB than franchise qb, considering your only other option at qb might be Bledsoe or Garcia.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »