Home

I enjoy football, but there's too much human error at times

This is a discussion on I enjoy football, but there's too much human error at times within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #25
Banned

Freelance's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: I enjoy football, but there's too much human error at times

Football was never meant to be played in a test tube. It's basically an organized brawl.

Video games and the advancements in broadcast technology are primarily to blame. Stuff we would have never seen before, now we get to see in slow-motion with super fast cameras. We expect the referees to see it as plainly as we do on the 4th replay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #26
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11

As a fan, bad calls make the game more "alive." I think bad calls can actually be good for a game from this standpoint, making the game more exciting and less predictable. Baseball is baseball because of different strike zones, tough calls at first base, etc...

However, clearly the game should be decided by the two teams playing, not the refs, so I'm conflicted.

Currently:
Asilos Magdalena by The Mars Volta
LOST Theme
The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine Acoustic Medley

Old 11-26-2007, 01:48 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
His point is that Denver would have scored. There would have been no INT to throw.
you cant expect the ref to see that the ball was out before the ball hit the ground, stuff like that happens all the time

from his view, it probably looked like the ground caused the fumble

still no reason to whine and complain
Old 11-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #28
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbz708
you cant expect the ref to see that the ball was out before the ball hit the ground, stuff like that happens all the time

from his view, it probably looked like the ground caused the fumble

still no reason to whine and complain
Exactly, hence why he was saying there is too much human error in football. I didn't see the play, but I know there are plenty of instances that a referee greatly affects the game, despite instant replay. Just look at the Steelers/Seahawks super Bowl. I'm not saying that Seattle would've won with better officiating, but we'll never know.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:06 PM   #29
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
Hopefully we'll be able to move towards that one day. Refs should be a complete non factor in all sports.
Are you saying you'd rather have a league that never had The Holy Roller, The Music City Miracle (I still think the Refs got the call wrong!) and the Tuck Rule game as part of its lore? C'mon man, referees make the game fodder for discussion and scrutiny. If you take that away what are we going to bitch about?

Plus, i'll miss Ed Hochuli and Mike Carey.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 11-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Are you saying you'd rather have a league that never had The Holy Roller, The Music City Miracle (I still think the Refs got the call wrong!) and the Tuck Rule game as part of its lore? C'mon man, referees make the game fodder for discussion and scrutiny. If you take that away what are we going to bitch about?

The Tuck Rule and MCM were both the correct calls. On the bitching category, well, I never run out of things.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #31
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO

They can find somewhere else for Ed Hochuli. I love that guy, best referee in the game. Plus the dude is huge! But most referees are not nearly that good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #32
Gimme the Oscar, Friendo.

Chief Illinimac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsaQue
Exactly, hence why he was saying there is too much human error in football. I didn't see the play, but I know there are plenty of instances that a referee greatly affects the game, despite instant replay. Just look at the Steelers/Seahawks super Bowl. I'm not saying that Seattle would've won with better officiating, but we'll never know.
Hold on. I've never seen officiating be bad enough to provide an 18 point discrepancy. Let's not make this bigger than it is.

Video replay has made things worse because now all these couch quarterbacks are able to see everything in Zoomed-in HD High Frame Rate Slow Motion Multi-Angled Replays. People act like referees are totally incompetant because technology allows the fan to be closer to the game than the zebras on the field.

The human element belongs in the game. If it becomes a fully mechanized officiating system, I'd bet that many people would lose some enjoyment from sports, even if its subconsciously. I hate bad calls against the Bears just as much as anyone else would for their team. But I know that overall, it probably evens out, and ultimately the on-field play still determines at least 95% of the outcomes.

Currently:
Asilos Magdalena by The Mars Volta
LOST Theme
The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine Acoustic Medley

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »