Home

Troy Smith

This is a discussion on Troy Smith within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #17
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Troy Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
We'll end up getting rid of him in favor of Boller and Billick's new toy Matt Ryan (another QB that Brian will ruin).
To be fair, Ryan is probably the better pro prospect between himself and Smith...

As for Boller, well uh, he can throw a football through the goalpost from one knee 50 yards away... I'm sure that counts for something?

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

Wwharton, Soldier was being sarcastic.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyfresh85
To be fair, Ryan is probably the better pro prospect between himself and Smith...

As for Boller, well uh, he can throw a football through the goalpost from one knee 50 yards away... I'm sure that counts for something?
Doesn't matter if he is a better prospect, the issue is Billick hasn't developed better or worse prospects. But he has favorites.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
Actually I wasn't, but I didn't mean anybody on this board. From about 2000-2003, everybody in Maryland turned into a Ravens and UMD fan. Being a Redskins and Auburn fan, I caught a lot of crap from dudes rooting for a city they're scared to step foot in and a school they're too stupid to ever attend.

It had nothing to do with wwharton or LB or anyone, they're actually fans.

Quote:
Doesn't matter if he is a better prospect, the issue is Billick hasn't developed better or worse prospects.
Who else has he had? Boller was a Tedford QB and combine warrior. The Tedford QB success rate is roughly 0%. He's more of a GM problem than Billick's.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
Ravens fans in Maryland/DC area outside of Baltimore in 1999: Roughly 12

Ravens fans in Maryland/DC area outside of Baltimore in 2001: About 3.5 million

85% of non-Baltimore living Ravens fans in Maryland probably haven't been in Baltimore in the last year.
That's not really fair considering how long the Ravens have been in existence, is it? I know I wasn't a Browns fan so even though I jumped on the bandwagon before the SB season AND it was for obvious reasons, it doesn't predate your timeline all that much. Really, if you're talking the Maryland/DC area alone, it makes sense that they start following a team that gets a lot of coverage and are everywhere. It's no surprise that they needed to win for some people to jump onboard either.

I could understand if you're talking about stupid fans that talk out of their a** but that's true with any team whether they're winning or losing. If anyone you're talking about is a Ravens fan after this year, I think they've past the bandwagon test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyfresh85

Of course Ryan's a better pro prospect... that's why he'll go in the 1st round instead of the 6th. But it's not a fair comparison. You're comparing someone already on the team making pennies to someone they'd have to pass up other 1st round talent to get and pay millions. Ryan would not be a smart pick and I'd be surprised if Ozzie didn't know that.

As for Boller, it was 60+ yards. He's actually played pretty well the last two years. He's considered one of the best backup QBs in the league even now. He's not the QB of the future but he was drafted basically in the 2nd round (late 1st round) so that shouldn't be all that surprising either. His career to this point hasn't been as bad as people try to let on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM   #22
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
As for Boller, it was 60+ yards. He's actually played pretty well the last two years. He's considered one of the best backup QBs in the league even now. He's not the QB of the future but he was drafted basically in the 2nd round (late 1st round) so that shouldn't be all that surprising either. His career to this point hasn't been as bad as people try to let on.
Lets not exaggerate this. He was drafted 19th overall. That is hardly "basically a 2nd round pick." ... Oh and he threw it 65 yards threw the uprights.

As for Boller, I have always thought he has got the short end of the stick. In his rookie year, he was a starter from day one, which was a bad idea. He didn't play well, but the Ravens were still a winning team with him at the helm. He got hurt mid-season and missed the rest. That next year, he started every game, had an OK season. In 2005, the expectations were high on him and the team, and he got hurt in the first game of the season. He couldn't get back on the field until the season was out of reach. Then, they bring in McNair for 2006, and this year he is in and out of the lineup.

I think Boller has all the physical tools to be a good pro, and he is still only 26 years old. Plenty of QBs in this league struggle until they are in their late 20s. Maybe Boller is one of those guys. Its not like he has had a great supporting cast around him in Baltimore, and things might have been a lot different had he been healthy. He might need a change of scenery to be a good quarterback.

Plus, he is money with the ladies.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 7

Being a real old guy (40 in Feb), I remember going to baltimore colts games in the 70's ... Lets get some misconceptions straight. I have been living in baltimore all my life, and baltimore has its share of problems just like any other metro area in this country. If someone is scared to come to this city its their own personal issues because many come and thrive here.

Now on to football.. UMD has ALWAYS been my school. Although i never attended, i was ACCEPTED not once, but TWICE! (funny how that old dorm overbooking room issue of the mid 80's stopped a bruh from going.. lol!) I ended up going to the University of Charleston.. then morgan state to play football..

in any event.. I love UMD.. and the ravens. Troy smith has a strong upside that dwarfs (pun intended) the size issues. He WILL be a solid NFL QB, but as he said in an interview in the SUN, he has been handling doubters and nay sayers all his career. That was evident in his poise and focus on the field. Now what needs to be done is finding proper development. I strongly believe that B. Billick is the problem. His INFLEXIBILITY and his arrogant style is what is killing the ravens. He refuses to adapt and be fluid in his playcalling and personnel use. He also has to be a coach and not the players best friend.

The Baltimore QB situation is about favorites. Billick didnt want Trent Dilfer. yet trent lead us to a superbowl, Not with a high powered offense, but with control and limiting mistakes. We let it ride the next year, and got Elvis.. on paper he was an exceptional QB, but his persona and style, which was confrontational and demanding, unlike trent dilfers approach, rubbed the players wrong and they responded negatively. ( i was at the Ravens Browns game that Elvis made Dennis Northcutt look like a pro bowl caliber DB and was LITERALLY throwing the ball too him!)

Instead of spending 1st round money on 1 player we need to bolster the aging DB's and find the heir apparents to Ray Lewis and J. Ogden. The ravens are OLD man... period! I do like Jared Gaither, only he has played 2 years in college and not much in H.S. He was offered a scholarship by Freidgen on sight when he came to see Gary Williams on a basketball official visit. He too has tremendous upside and will be a beast in a few years.

Baltimore fans, lets hope that Biscotti (owner) wont take a page from the Angelos handbook for dismantling a storied franchise (ORIOLES) and drop the win it now regardless of the future mentality. The ravens OLine will be solid next year, and we do have the core to be contenders. Maintain continuity with the QB situation, bring back mcnair, even if to only mentor T. Smith with Boller as backup. Its time to scrap the current and rebuild. and to DEVELOP !!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #24
All Star

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computalover
( i was at the Ravens Browns game that Elvis made Dennis Northcutt look like a pro bowl caliber DB and was LITERALLY throwing the ball too him!)
Northcutt is a WR, maybe you mean Anthony Henry.

I'm pulling for Troy Smith. I'm not an OSU fan and I hate the Ravens, but I'd like to see a Cleveland kid who's been an underdog make it. If only he hadn't been drafted by the Ravens...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »