Home

Who played a better Superbowl-Payton or Eli?

This is a discussion on Who played a better Superbowl-Payton or Eli? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #73
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Who played a better Superbowl-Payton or Eli?

Eli to me isnt all that impressive.. The Giants D line won that game..And every game in the playoffs...

Eli had multiple interceptions droped and some really lucky plays.. I think the MVP should have been given to Osi, Tuck and Strahan.

** Eli played game was closer Peytons was a blow out so Eli wins out of the two

Last edited by adriano; 02-04-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #74
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Peyton played against a much better defense, in much poorer weathe elements.

As far as Eli having "it" more than Peyton, not sure how you could figure that, but I guess we'll see. Eli may have more postseaon success at least in the near future. The Colts have a much tougher road to the SB (at least on paper) than the Giants have. The top end of the AFC is going to be rough once again next year.
Can you ever imagine Peyton doing "The Great Escape" or whatever it is called though? I just can't. Peyton would probably calculate in real time that he has a better chance of getting a 1st down taking a sack and relying on 4th down than trying what Eli did. I mean it could have just as easily been an INT after all, but sometimes you just have to play like that for greatness to occur.

I know it's early, but it has always been said that Eli is more of a 'x factor' guy compared to his brother, it's just now some proof is starting to emerge. If he can take a page from Peyton and fine tune his game, then I think he clearly has the potential for a greater career, even if he doesn't ever hold a passing yards record or whatever.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #75
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano
Eli to me isnt all that impressive.. The Giants D line won that game..And every game in the playoffs...

Eli had multiple interceptions droped and some really lucky plays.. I think the MVP should have been given to Osi, Tuck and Strahan.

** Eli played game was closer Peytons was a blow out so Eli wins out of the two
Ummm yeah sure. Its not just the fact that your a dallas fan that discredits you its the fact that even I didn't have faith in Eli's game. But after watching this playoff stretch you can't possibly say he wasn't impressive. He carried the offense pretty much by himself, the giants running game was far from dominant unlike peytons offense. The defense put them in a position to win, then Eli made it happen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #76
Go Cougs!

WazzuRC's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
I know it's early, but it has always been said that Eli is more of a 'x factor' guy compared to his brother, it's just now some proof is starting to emerge. If he can take a page from Peyton and fine tune his game, then I think he clearly has the potential for a greater career, even if he doesn't ever hold a passing yards record or whatever.
I don't understand how Eli can be considered an "X factor" guy above Peyton. The knock on Peyton is that he never won the big game in college or the pro's (until last year). I didn't see Eli winning any championships in college or up until yesterday.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 PM   #77
MVP

Rainey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
I don't understand how Eli can be considered an "X factor" guy above Peyton. The knock on Peyton is that he never won the big game in college or the pro's (until last year). I didn't see Eli winning any championships in college or up until yesterday.
Peyton played at Tennessee in college and Eli played for Ole Miss... that should help you figure out why people fuss at Peyton for not winning a championship in college and Eli doesn't get the flack.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #78
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

If you take out the Manning/Tyree incredible play and just leave it as a 32 yard gain (which would be a good play), does this still count as the best drive? Or the better performance by Eli? It's all a guess game now because it DID happen, but I think a lot of luster comes off the drive if that play isn't involved. It was just the perfect time, perfect place to have that series of events go down.

To be 100% honest, I didn't think the Giants and Eli Manning could do it. Especially against the Patriots. I was waiting for Manning to fumble or throw a pick or for them to just flat out turn it over on downs even though he has played extremely well in the postseason this year. I guess I didn't believe the Patriots were going to get beat because of this year's record and because of their recent run of great Super Bowl performances.

But that went down the ****ter last night. Parity reigns supreme in the National Football League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #79
Nza
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazzuRC
Not so much winning championships, but 'x factor' in the sense he is a little more creative, a little less reliant on system to guide him when a play breaks down. The same sort of thing Vince Young was meant to have.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #80
Rookie

NCAAFootballFreak's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Ummm yeah sure. Its not just the fact that your a dallas fan that discredits you its the fact that even I didn't have faith in Eli's game. But after watching this playoff stretch you can't possibly say he wasn't impressive. He carried the offense pretty much by himself, the giants running game was far from dominant unlike peytons offense. The defense put them in a position to win, then Eli made it happen.
Oh come on dude -- most of the Cowboys fans around here were supporting your boys on Sunday (at least my close circle of friends). It's not an anti-Giants thing. It's just that the dude was bad in the regular season. It's not like he put up these superb numbers in the playoffs -- he just didn't make mistakes. That's more a mark of "maturity" than "greatness."

I'm not trying to knock the guy -- I do think he improved greatly in the post-season -- only a fool would say otherwise. I think he is finally starting to come out of his older brother's shadow, but I think this next season will show more what he's made of. Will he have a regular season just like last season? That can't be good if he does, but what if he has another post-season like he did this year?

Having said all that -- I do concede that Eli had a better Super Bowl -- but not *that* much better. Peyton didn't need a final drive to win the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »