Home

Bronco QB very talkative...

This is a discussion on Bronco QB very talkative... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Bronco QB very talkative...

maybe a little too talkative this soon. I doubt Bronco Brass wants him to be this much of a quotable presence this early in his career & especially about a troubled player.

I also like how he describes Marshall as a "great kid at heart". Spoken like a true veteran.

Comments like that won't help this situation at all...

excerpt:

Cutler rips troubled WR Marshall

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Jay Cutler has had it with all the drama and headlines surrounding top target Brandon Marshall.

In his first offseason interview, one sprinkled with unusually blunt criticism, the Denver Broncos quarterback called out his No. 1 receiver and fellow third-year star who suffered a gash on his right forearm while horsing around last month.

"Yeah, he's not my favorite person right now," Cutler said. "I mean, I support him, but it's always something with him right now."

With Jeremy Bates taking over the Broncos' passing game, Cutler said Tuesday that it was imperative for Marshall to participate in all the offseason workouts, but he won't be back in action until training camp.

"We're going to be fine. I'm not that overly concerned about it, but it just would be nice coming into our third year, coming off a big year he had last year, for him to get more work done and get more time in and just a little more trust out there," Cutler said. "But it's going to take some time now, maybe training camp, maybe even longer."

Marshall, who emerged as Cutler's primary target during a breakout 2007 season, said he was horsing around with his older brother at a resort in Orlando, Fla., when he fell into a television set, cutting an artery, a vein, a nerve, two tendons and three muscles in his right arm.

"I've talked to him many times. I think a lot of people have. ... He knows he's running out of chances," Cutler said. "This wasn't like his DUI and other stuff he's had. It was an accident, but still, things like that can't happen. He knows it.

"But like I told him, I said, 'Brandon, they're going to quit giving you chances and you're going to have to go somewhere else. And that's going to be a shame."'....

"His DUI was a wakeup call," Cutler retorted. "He's had many wakeup calls. I mean, he's been in (coach Mike) Shanahan's office many times. I've been up there with him. He said the same thing: 'This is a wakeup call. This is the last thing that's going to happen. Blah blah blah.' I mean, until he goes out and proves it, we'll see what happens."

Cutler wants to have trust in his No. 1 receiver.

"I love Brandon to death and he's a great kid at heart. I don't think he goes out there looking for trouble. He's not at bars late. He's not doing those things that other people do. It's just something about him. He's always into something," Cutler said. "Like I told him, 'I haven't lost faith in you. I'll still support you. But ... you're going to have to prove yourself this time."'

Marshall, a fourth-round draft choice in 2006 out of Central Florida, blossomed into the Broncos' best receiver last year, facilitating the recent release of Walker, who was replaced by free agent Keary Colbert.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Bronco QB very talkative...

I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Yes he's being critical but I think it's warranted. I mean it seems Marshall has had a ton of 2nd chances and it was mainly done in-house. Perhaps by making things public it'll REALLY be a wake up call for him.

It's not like Cutler is disowning the guy.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 04-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's not that I see anything wrong with the content of his comments, just that with Marshall's obvious immaturity, those comments may very well be taken for who was publicly chastising him & not the message.

Good message, wrong messenger IMO is all...
Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
All Star

callmetaternuts's Arena

OVR: 41

As a WR you dont want your QB calling you out, especially if you're attempting to establish yourself as a go to guy

You too can be a 5* recruit at FSU.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveozPlaya21
add worthless Xavier Lee to that list..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
CFL here he comes. Pfft, wait that would require learning a playbook. McDonalds here he comes.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

The comments were well deserved. Jay Cutler stated several times that Brandon Marshall is his go-to guy. Not Javon Walker. Brandon Marshall.

He's trying to develop that trust between himself and his favorite target and he's basically telling him that they won't be at that level if Marshall keeps acting up and not growing up.

I thought it was deserving but, like you stated, it might come off in a different way to Brandon Marshall had it been a player with more veteran status than Cutler. It's up to Marshall to change his ways and he should see that Cutler means business.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I don't see anything wrong with his comments. Yes he's being critical but I think it's warranted. I mean it seems Marshall has had a ton of 2nd chances and it was mainly done in-house. Perhaps by making things public it'll REALLY be a wake up call for him.

It's not like Cutler is disowning the guy.
Agreed.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

I say good for Jay. If the Broncos struggle, the blame will fall on Cutler even if Marshall or whoever isn't playing well also. He's trying to get his WR's in line to make sure that they are successful. He's supposed to be a leader and he's doing his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

you don't develope trust by blasting your teammate in a public forum. You deal with him man to man. Cutler should keep his mouth shut more in the public spotlight; this is damaging to relationships.

I don't see the coach saying things like this publically..cutler is out of line.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »