Home

BK's Charger Observations for the week.

This is a discussion on BK's Charger Observations for the week. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
BK's Charger Observations for the week.

I know we've got a decent contingent of Charger fans here.

Here's my Charger ranting for the week.

final thoughts on this game and the Chargers.

- Phillip Rivers looks like he's taken the next step. He's easily been the Chargers best player these first two weeks, despite LT being banged up, despite Gates not being close to 100% and desptie missing two pro bowl offensive linemen. He's played as well as any QB in the league up to this point in the season.

-I don't know if the players simply aren't that good, or aren't motivated or it's bad coaching and a bad scheme, but that defense has been awful the first two weeks. No pass rush, soft coverage, and terrible tackling. They've been equally pourous against the run and the pass, and twice not the offense has put them in a position to win, and twice they've given up late leads.

- Darren Sproles is such a weapon, my concern is they overuse him. Guys like that tend to wear down and become less productive if relied on heavily. They still need to pick their spots with im.

- I have always been hard on Charger WR's. But at thsi point, I'll take Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson over just about anyone. They've been outstanding dating back to the playoffs last year. Jackson is finally playing to his potential and creating mismatches, and Chambers is a real weapon. Chambers absolutely ate Champ Bailey up yesterday.

- The Safeties, when is this going to be addressed? Weddell really is a nickel guy and probably shouldn't be a starter. He's been targeted for the game winning scores the last two weeks. Does anyone thing Clinton Hart would make any other NFL roster? He's a starter here. That's scary.

- Denver did what the Pats did to the Chargers early last week. Spread the field. At that point San Diego goes in to soft zone coverage and you just pick them apart underneath. I counted Denver motioning to empty backfield at least 6 times in a row at one point yesterday and just nickel and diming the Chargers all the way down the field. At what point does Cottrell and his staff make an adjustment?

-Finally this is not a SB contending team. If they were healthy and 100% I think they'd be a favorite, but they simply are not good enough currently to be considered a legit title contender, and now that they are 0-2 and 2 games behind Denver, making the playoffs is not a given.

Ok those are my ravings for the day.

Props to Denver for making plays when it counted. Good win in a divisional game yesterday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 62
Re: BK's Charger Observations for the week.

No rant about Antonio Cromartie playing the worst game of his career?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
No rant about Antonio Cromartie playing the worst game of his career?
It wasn't all on him, after looking at the game again. He played terribly and imo, Marshall got in his head, but the absolute lack of pass rush, and the coverages they were playing put him in some bad spots.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I love Darren Sproles a lot. Is he too small to be used as a slot receiver once in a while? The Bills have used their backup RB Fred Jackson as a receiver with Marshawn Lynch on the field as well to great effect. I think Sproles would do very well if he can catch the ball in open space and get some room to run just like that TD late in the game against Denver.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
av7
Hall Of Fame

av7's Arena

OVR: 37

Rivers vs Cutler will be one of the best QB duals in a division, nothing else comes up to compare to their battle. Maybe Palmer/Roethlisberger but thats about it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I love Darren Sproles a lot. Is he too small to be used as a slot receiver once in a while? The Bills have used their backup RB Fred Jackson as a receiver with Marshawn Lynch on the field as well to great effect. I think Sproles would do very well if he can catch the ball in open space and get some room to run just like that TD late in the game against Denver.
With Buster Davis and Naanee there, there's no reason to line him up in the slot. Besides, with him in the backfield, it's easier for him to get lost in traffic initally then open up in space as the play develops.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrbas
Rivers vs Cutler will be one of the best QB duals in a division, nothing else comes up to compare to their battle. Maybe Palmer/Roethlisberger but thats about it
Wow that is some serious homerism, I won't hijack this thread though.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrbas
Made even more fun by the fact they simply don't like each other.

Although, I hope yesterday, the Rivers can't hold Cutler's jock we were getting from some Bronco fans around here will cease. As that's long been disproven.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »