Home

Redskins @ 49ers

This is a discussion on Redskins @ 49ers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Redskins @ 49ers

I didn't see highlights or anything but I saw the celebration in the San Fran locker room when it was announced Singletary is staying on. The players really love him and I have a sneaking suspicion that with some astute personnel moves that the Niners could return to prominence next season. The NFC West is so weak I can see them making a run for the NFC West crown next year.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Wow. John Riggins just ripped Clinton Portis on the radio just now.
What else is new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checmate101
I've been a Cambell supportor, but man, Can he throw to somebody other then Moss, even though Moss had 2 crucial drops down there at the end, but that's the first person he looks at. Cambell takes zero shots down field. One time on a playaction he had Devin Thomas on a Go route, and dont' even attempt to throw it to him, just holds on to the ball and gets sack. I hope with another year of Zorn in his ear and the system under his belt, Cambell wil produce more, taking more shots down the field, and have better protection.
You can't put it all on Campbell. I know you've seen all the games and how many passes Thomas has dropped. When you're going deep you've gotta have faith that the WR will make sure the ball isn't picked off if they can't get it... not many rookies can be trusted with that and Thomas definitely can't. Campbell zeros in on Moss a lot but who else can he comfortably look at? Randel El? Thomas? Kelley? Hell, even Thrash gets more looks when he's on the field than those guys. The Skins didn't give him many options to work with for THIS year. Most shouldn't be surprised that the offense struggled this year. First year coach, new offense for young QB, rookie WRs expected to make an impact, no oline depth and then big injuries late.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You can't put it all on Campbell. I know you've seen all the games and how many passes Thomas has dropped. When you're going deep you've gotta have faith that the WR will make sure the ball isn't picked off if they can't get it... not many rookies can be trusted with that and Thomas definitely can't. Campbell zeros in on Moss a lot but who else can he comfortably look at? Randel El? Thomas? Kelley? Hell, even Thrash gets more looks when he's on the field than those guys. The Skins didn't give him many options to work with for THIS year. Most shouldn't be surprised that the offense struggled this year. First year coach, new offense for young QB, rookie WRs expected to make an impact, no oline depth and then big injuries late.
Most of the ignant internet fans have been blaming Campbell for everything.

I'd put the offense blame on:

1. The O Line

(huge gap)

2. Receivers dropping passes
3. Fumbles
4. Third down playcalling of either Cooley screen or Portis draw
5. Campbell

I'm willing to bet that at least 20% of our third downs that weren't Cooley screens or draws ended with a sack, drop, or fumble after the catch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

The last couple of games, the o-line has held up, atleast half the time..Cambell is holding onto the ball to long. You never see JC throw that ball thats in between the under man and the man over the top. You never see that throw, he dosen't take risk. That's all i'm saying about him..You never know what can happen if you jus throw it up. Yesterday he missed Moss for a touchdown underthrown the ball, which manny lawson tipped. I never seen him complete that pass.

But saying all of that, I like cambell, he the best we have. I'm not calling for his head, Which I do think with another year with Zorn, he's only going to get better, if he has time. Hopes he gets a bond with the rookies we had. I also think we need a Vet WR, Cut Randle El and get somebody like a Bobby Engram or somebody like that
Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes
Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM   #13
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Most of the ignant internet fans have been blaming Campbell for everything.

I'd put the offense blame on:

1. The O Line

(huge gap)

2. Receivers dropping passes
3. Fumbles
4. Third down playcalling of either Cooley screen or Portis draw
5. Campbell

I'm willing to bet that at least 20% of our third downs that weren't Cooley screens or draws ended with a sack, drop, or fumble after the catch.
I think I'm with you on all of that and in that order.

Quote:
The last couple of games, the o-line has held up, atleast half the time..Cambell is holding onto the ball to long. You never see JC throw that ball thats in between the under man and the man over the top. You never see that throw, he dosen't take risk. That's all i'm saying about him..You never know what can happen if you jus throw it up. Yesterday he missed Moss for a touchdown underthrown the ball, which manny lawson tipped. I never seen him complete that pass.

But saying all of that, I like cambell, he the best we have. I'm not calling for his head, Which I do think with another year with Zorn, he's only going to get better, if he has time. Hopes he gets a bond with the rookies we had. I also think we need a Vet WR, Cut Randle El and get somebody like a Bobby Engram or somebody like that
Everything's connected. You say he doesn't take enough chances, but he was praised for his few turnovers early in the season... just "throw it up" to rookies and guys on the level of Randel El is not a good idea. Moss isn't Steve Smith and they don't have anyone else you can trust with a 50/50 pass like you're talking about.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

Man, you still have to take a chance downfield...instead of throwing screens to cooley or moss on a in route. On the rookies, Rams did it with Donnie Avery, Eagles did it with DeSean jackson, Broncos did it with Eddie Royal and last year the Giants did it with Steve Smith. Throw the ball deep to the rookies, not like Devin Thomas is slow, send him on a go route and let it fly, which Cambell should've did yesterday. Hell you might get a pass interference call or he might come down with it...worse can happen it gets INT, and then that's like a Punt. I can't speak on Kelly thus far because he's been hurt most of the season, but I do look for big things from him next year.
Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes
Old 12-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Man, you still have to take a chance downfield...instead of throwing screens to cooley or moss on a in route.
The quarterback doesn't have the option to go deep on a screen pass. 999/1000 times, you throw the ball to the screen player (the 1 time is when the Lions don't put any DBs on the field). That's Football 101.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Man, you still have to take a chance downfield...instead of throwing screens to cooley or moss on a in route. On the rookies, Rams did it with Donnie Avery, Eagles did it with DeSean jackson, Broncos did it with Eddie Royal and last year the Giants did it with Steve Smith. Throw the ball deep to the rookies, not like Devin Thomas is slow, send him on a go route and let it fly, which Cambell should've did yesterday. Hell you might get a pass interference call or he might come down with it...worse can happen it gets INT, and then that's like a Punt. I can't speak on Kelly thus far because he's been hurt most of the season, but I do look for big things from him next year.
Don't fall into the trap of comparing to other team's players. A rookie WR is probably the most unpredictable performer on the field... more than even a rookie QB b/c there's no way a coach will even find out about a rookie QB until he proves he's worth that. Neither Thomas or Kelley have done a single thing to show they deserve the respect that any of those guys you mentioned have... as a big time fantasy football player I can tell you for sure that every player you mentioned had amazing training camps and preseasons and were expected to contribute above what's normal for rookie WRs. Neither Thomas or Kelley were even around. And they've tried to go to Thomas more and more and he's just shown that he's not ready. Add in Randel El and he's got years of showing he can't be trusted.

Did you see the pass Delhomme made to Steve Smith yesterday? A QB doesn't make that pass unless he trusts that the WR will either catch the ball or make sure the D doesn't pick it off. The QB ALWAYS gets the blame if that pass is picked off and a young QB who's getting hammered by media and fans definitely isn't going to put that much faith in a rookie that's done next to nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »