Home

Marvin wants out

This is a discussion on Marvin wants out within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13
Marvin wants out

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/22/harr...o-release-him/

Quote:
After the two sides couldn’t agree on a restructured contract, WR Marvin Harrison asked the Colts to release him, a league source said Sunday night.

As much as the team would rather not — and Colts president Bill Polian acknowledged Sunday that it’s a tricky situation — Harrison is a luxury that Indianapolis can no longer afford.

Now that Harrison has declined to restructure his contract, the Colts have little choice but to let him and his $13.4 million salary-cap number go. It will mark the end of an illustrious 13-year career in Indianapolis, where Harrison and QB Peyton Manning formed one of the greatest quarterback-receiver tandems in NFL history.

Already the speculation about where Harrison will land is beginning. For starters, Harrison is determined to continue playing. A logical landing spot would be the receiver-needy Philadelphia Eagles, where Harrison would be reunited with his former Syracuse teammate, QB Donovan McNabb, while getting to play in the city where he lives.

I would love to see what McNabb could do with Harrison at his side
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Marvin wants out

Sad to see him go, but if he has that kind of attitude, I don't want him here in Indy. Somebody needs to remind him how many times Peyton restructured his contract to give the Colts enough money to sign their players. Obviously it isn't about winning anymore for Marvin. It's about the money.

XBL: Lordcledus

Old 02-22-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Peyton was still making more than anyone on the team.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Peyton was still making more than anyone on the team.
As any elite player should. Especially if he was the best player on the team. Thing is Manning took less to give the team the room it needed for cap flexibility. And he did it more than once. Perfect example of a true professional and a team player.

Last edited by Lordcledus; 02-22-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Peyton took less? You sure he didn't just push the money in his contract back a few years?

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
Peyton took less? You sure he didn't just push the money in his contract back a few years?
When he restructured his last deal, he got a larger signing bonus up front instead of it counting as a roster bonus of like 10 million. His yearly salary was lower than it would have been because it allowed the Colts to pro-rate his contract over the last few years of his contract. Technically he probably made about the same amount all in all, but he got most of it up front because of it being counted as a signing bonus instead of the normal non-guaranteed contract.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordcledus
When he restructured his last deal, he got a larger signing bonus up front instead of it counting as a roster bonus of like 10 million. His yearly salary was lower than it would have been because it allowed the Colts to pro-rate his contract over the last few years of his contract. Technically he probably made about the same amount all in all, but he got most of it up front because of it being counted as a signing bonus instead of the normal non-guaranteed contract.
Well if he "technically made about the same" then what exactly did he sacrifice for the team? It's a sacrafice if you, you know, give something up? If you are due 10 mil over 3 years, it doesn't matter if you get it 3,3,4 or 5, 2, 3, or 8, 1, 1. It's still 10 mil.

And doesn't Peyton have all that endorsement money? Easy to take a pay cut as a QB when he's on 1 out of ever 6 commericials I see...

I like Peyton and he is a good guy, but it always irks me when someobody brings up the "he took a pay cut crap" when he didn't, he just had his money distrubuted in a different way.

At any rate, Harrison is watched up and a head case, I wouldn't pay him 13 + mil either.

"The buckeyes play Akron, they play Kent State, I mean, they may win the MAC this year."
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 30

Like everyone on the Colts aside from Peyton, he's replaceable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »